separating the personal from the professional

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by porcupinecutie, May 16, 2021.

1. porcupinecutie

porcupinecutie UKBF Newcomer

33 1
    hello, everyone!

for those who are working from home now due to the pandemic, how do you keep your personal and professional life separated? it really is difficult to keep the lines clear because i think working from home = being available to work 24/7. i know that this is a bad mindset to have, but that seems to be what's happening. i tried doing my hobbies on a set time (bingewatching and playing games) but my mind still goes back to my work.

i'm getting tired of this setup. how i wish i could go back to my office now. :(

Posted: May 16, 2021 By: porcupinecutie Member since: May 14, 2021
  2. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly Contributor

2,213 403
    Very difficult when working for yourself but something to try is to make a list of everything you need to do the following day so that you can A: hit the ground running as soon as you start and B: know in your mind that you have things in hand, which should help avoid the I better do this to keep up state of mind.

Posted: May 17, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  3. BustersDogs

BustersDogs Contributor

1,420 276
    I have the opposite. Being self employed, family think I am available 24/7, when actually I'm WORKING tyvm

Posted: May 17, 2021 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  4. AllUpHere

AllUpHere Contributor

3,694 1,526
    I look at it in the opposite way to most people. I don't make a distinction; I'm working and not working all the time. Unless I have a call booked at a certain time, I'm pretty much infinity flexible.

Edit. Yes, I realise 'prettv much infinite' is an oxymoron ( and a stupid thing to say).

Posted: May 17, 2021 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  5. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

4,091 480
    The past year have blurred the lines, I agree. When I started out self employed back in the late '90's I was working 24/7 because home was my work, and I've never been a great TV watcher so evenings I "might as well get some work done".
    It took a few years but as business grew I was able to step away, and for the past number of years I've been able to go on holidays, have un-interrupted weekends and evenings, work never encroached into my personal life ... but for whatever reason this past year that's all changed it does feel like I'm back to how it was before.

Completely agree with @BustersDogs issue from way back when, the amount of times my family just assumed I was always available because I was at home! No concept that I actually had a job to do.

Posted: May 17, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  6. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,663 10,315
    I just get on with what ever needs doing. Don’t ever worry about keeping them separate

Posted: May 17, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. porcupinecutie

33 1
    That does sound helpful. Do you think this would help even though what I do for work is the same for each and every day?

Posted: May 18, 2021 By: porcupinecutie Member since: May 14, 2021
  8. porcupinecutie

33 1
    Hahahahaha that is unfortunate. I'm glad that my family knows and understands that I do need to work even when I'm "physically available" to be with them. Despite that, they are still advising me to set some clear boundaries for work and personal life even at home.

9. porcupinecutie

33 1
    That is what I tried to do before and it worked for a while. After that, I feel burned out because I'm always prioritizing my work over my personal matters. I do agree about that flexible stuff, but you can only get stretched for too much. :(

10. porcupinecutie

33 1
    how I wish to have that, Ozzy. I think the only thing that stops me is that i am an employee without an idea of becoming an employer soon. So you know, my hands are kinda tied.

11. porcupinecutie

33 1
    Don't you ever feel burned out about it though? Because I did and it is getting worse each and every day :(

12. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,663 10,315
    No. But that's because I don't chase the money. I do 2-3 hours work each day and nothing at the weekends.

Posted: May 18, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

4,091 480
    I find an overwhelming sense of duty and responsibility that is behind my change in working habits over the past year. Other peoples mortgages and livelihoods resting on my shoulders looking to me to reassure them and keep them in work.
    As we start to come out the other side I do feel some of that weight lifting though, and but I'm very aware there is still much more road ahead for many. We as an organisation I'm thankful and aware how lucky we are that our business has returned to pre-covid revenues, and don't take that for granted.

Posted: May 18, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  14. peppermintlover

peppermintlover UKBF Newcomer

37 5
    We are in the same boat. Although I was able to come to work when the restrictions were lifted off for a while, it was hard being shunned back again to working remotely. I think sticking to a strict regime can be a temporary way to solve this. :)

Posted: May 18, 2021 By: peppermintlover Member since: Apr 7, 2021
  15. peppermintlover

peppermintlover UKBF Newcomer

37 5
    In addition to what I said, what I do now is try to stick to a regime and setting clear boundaries between me and my colleagues, more specifically when it comes to off-work hours. Hope this help! :)

Posted: May 18, 2021 By: peppermintlover Member since: Apr 7, 2021
  16. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly Contributor

2,213 403
    Are you though? If you were back in the office you wouldn't be working 24/7, you'd have a set of hours to do 'x' amount of work.
    Do you work for yourself or is this an employed role?

Posted: May 18, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  17. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller Full Member
    Contributor

1,042 400
    Using a co-working space nearby helps me with the separation a lot. Its worth every penny.

Posted: May 19, 2021 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  18. porcupinecutie

33 1
    The time you spend working really does make a different, eh? Even though I really don't chase the money, that is what keeps me going through my 8-hour shift per day.

Posted: May 19, 2021 By: porcupinecutie Member since: May 14, 2021
  19. porcupinecutie

33 1
    That is so good to know! We can also wish to say the same for our business. :(

20. porcupinecutie

33 1
    Well, I tried to do that but my mind is just getting too filled with work-related stuff that I still constantly check our platforms for updates on our processes.