General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

SEO Problems, low website traffic HELP??

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Adamcatterall, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Adamcatterall

Adamcatterall UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 3
    Hi Guys, I'm struggling to increase my website traffic, I have tried everything from changing meta tags, descriptions to ads across social media. Although the majority of my traffic does come from these social media campaigns I feel like I am missing out on a much larger audience due to my ranking across big search engines such as google, yahoo etc, I have experimented with google adwords in the past and did notice a big difference however the costs involved in running this campaign to bring in the traffic far exceeded my budget. Does any of you guys have any experience with SEO management or know of any ways I could change my website tags etc in order to rank higher, Without spending fortunes on Adwords. My knowledge on SEO at the moment is very limited unfortunately so any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
    Posted: Apr 19, 2018 By: Adamcatterall Member since: May 7, 2014
  2. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

327 37
    Start with better and more content for your products. Also less bling, Pop ups and banners would help. I think there is an Seo course mention on here called something like fresh bananas

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  3. Adamcatterall

Adamcatterall UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 3
    thanks allot, I will certainly take that on board

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 By: Adamcatterall Member since: May 7, 2014
  4. wevet

wevet UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,086 208
    Got to agree with previous comments what are "Poducts"? Your site needs to be cleaned up before anything else is done.

However, SEO?

So, you achieve your heart's desire you get onto page 1 of all the major search engines. Do you really think that will propel your business forward? It will not but those who pedalling SEO snake oil at silly prices will instantly disagree.

Search for your type of product just how far does a would be buyer need to scroll before they encounter real organic listings. To reach that first organic listing the would be buyer has scrolled past: adwords listings; Google marketplace; ebay; amazon and then we are into the organic listings.

Even if you were to achieve it position 1 of organic listings on page 1 of Google has minimal value now. The time and money businesses spend pursuing this holy grail would be much better spent elsewhere.

Your type of product is much better promoted using social media. I would hazard a guess that much of your target audience when not romping around on their bikes will be on social media.
    1. Fix your website so that it engages immediately
    2. If an item is out of stock take it off the site. If you do not, all you are doing is telling people "this is the most popular bike but we are only left with also rans so go elsewhere and but what we no longer have in stock."
    3. Engage in a heavy duty way with social media with your own shot footage of your products in action.
    4. Stop dreaming that SEO will deliver a magic bullet. Used to be a "bullet" now it is a blank.

By the way: this advice is from someone with page 1 usually position 1-5 in organic listings on all major search engines.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: wevet Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  5. Scribe Copywriting

Scribe Copywriting UKBF Contributor Full Member

51 5
    SEO is a good marketing strategy for the long term, but it takes a huge amount of elbow grease up-front, so bear in mind everything that @wevet has said; you might be better off focusing on jobs that give you more control over the immediate outcome.

You mention you're new to SEO -- start with https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo and then search their blog for more information on anything. They've got a lot of great information, and they test their theories before recommending anything to you.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: Scribe Copywriting Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  6. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

649 187
    https://www.freshbananas.co.uk/free-lesson.html – Best place to start learning SEO, and worth the cost of the full course. There's a lot of people around here who can vouch for it, just do a search.

What keywords are you trying to rank for? There's very little text content on your pages to tell search engines what you're actually about. You're probably getting nailed on SERPs by larger sites if you're trying to rank for broad terms like "Motorcross" or "dirt bike". You need to filter down to longer keyword phrases that customers are using. At it's core, SEO is really just making content that customers are searching for easy to find. Use Google's suggested searches to get ideas for keywords people may use to find a product you sell, and make sure you include those keywords naturally in the product description.

Getting reviews from customers on sites like TrustPilot can help you rank for local searches too, so it's worth asking customers to rate you, which I see you're already doing.

On a slight side note, the overall design of the site could do with some work, mainly tidying up the navigation for a better user experience. Overall it doesn't feel like a very authoritative site and many potential customers are likely to be put off by this. For example, using a hotmail email address and just posting a mobile number doesn't make me feel confident in your legitimacy. Get an email set up for your domain, and use something like voipfone to get a landline number you can direct to your mobile. This will cost you jut a few quid per month. You could speak to @cjd about this

There's no point spending the time getting customers to your site only for them to leave straight away or not be able to find what they want due to a poor navigation structure.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  7. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

327 37
    Do you use google search console and have all your 4 domain properties submitted to google. I would start there and after that king is content, long custom niche keywords feeding back into content.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  8. bwills34

bwills34 UKBF Regular Free Member

116 6
    I would agree that SEO is definitely something that you do with a long-term view of it.

• How long has your site been live?
    • How often do you publish new content/blogs?
    • What sort of content do you post?
    With a decent content marketing strategy, you can expect it to take 6-12 months before you really start seeing an impact in terms of traffic.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: bwills34 Member since: Apr 5, 2018
  9. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,595 258
    Why do you want to increase your website traffic? Most people here would prefer to sell more. Website traffic is a means to an end: you could greatly increase traffic and not not make any more sales, or you could get more out of your existing traffic, or generate a few extra visitors and greatly increase your bottom line. So which would you prefer?

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  10. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,067 8,577
    Do not do what @joseph cruz suggests. That list is typical of the methods used by cheap (and useless) seo providers.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. artraifi

artraifi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    Considering that SEO is an on-going process, you should be always paying attention to it. Whether that's creating pages that boost you on-page SEO, or connecting with people across forums and helping them through your blogs to boost your off-page SEO.

I started having minor results with SEO only 5 months after I launched my website, and I'm continuously working on creating relevant content that google will appreciate (and hopefully rank)

Dont give up, attend courses, watch videos and read articles - these should help you build a foundation which you can than improve through practice.

Posted: Apr 21, 2018 By: artraifi Member since: Feb 15, 2018
  12. PDQ Funding

PDQ Funding UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7 0
    Content and long tailwords are key now, each page should be 600 words or more

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: PDQ Funding Member since: Jul 9, 2018
  13. Jack Elever

Jack Elever UKBF Contributor Free Member

35 7
    My two cents:
    • Write excellent content
    • Do link building with guest posts, forums and paid posts if needed. You won't need much money for this, but you should learn how to recognize a good site.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: Jack Elever Member since: Aug 24, 2018
  14. NorfolkGuy

NorfolkGuy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Google has made some significant changes recently, the main one being websites (that have a contact form on them) have an SSL certificate. If you have one and don’t have your website sitting under an SSL certificate, you’re going to be penalised, if not quite yet, definitely in the near future.

Also, have you covered all the basics, google console etc? a lot of people ask why their website doesn’t rank well and whilst all of the above advice is spot on, a main factor is the age of the domain name, if it’s recently registered, you really won’t be able to make too many gains in the first 12 months. Also, despite the internet being a tool for instant information, SEO is definitely a long game. I still believe one of the best ways to get customers is by word of mouth. Your website should be informative for when these sorts of people are driven to your website through networking.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: NorfolkGuy Member since: Sep 12, 2018
  15. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,067 8,577
    Google warns against doing this. In any case forum posting is pointless as most links are no follow.

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 6:48 AM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  16. Leesa Johnson

Leesa Johnson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 2
    First, you tell me about what type of business you are doing. If you have product selling business then you have to write excellent content for each product and for relevant categories. For service website, refresh content with long tail keywords. Your website's navigation must be proper for more traffic flow. You do link building tasks like forum and guest posting.

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 8:22 AM By: Leesa Johnson Member since: Nov 20, 2015
  17. Tracy Arkwright

Tracy Arkwright UKBF Newcomer Free Member

29 0
    Thousands of well written (convertible) pages, full of unique content, targeting relevant and quality keywords. That will do it, good luck

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 9:29 AM By: Tracy Arkwright Member since: Jun 25, 2018
  18. dan19900

dan19900 UKBF Regular Free Member

105 9
    You'll need links from somewhere if they're hard competition or even medium competition. There's 100s of other websites playing around with their meta tags and descriptions, that's not going to do the job.

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM By: dan19900 Member since: Mar 2, 2018
  19. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,942 1,634
    Just a note - the OP posted in April, that was 4 months ago, and hasn't been back since.
    The thread was reopened by SEOs up-talking SEO to each other. Such is the desperation of the SEO industry :)

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 11:34 AM By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  20. Richard Patey

Richard Patey UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    how competitive are the keywords you are currently trying to rank for?

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 4:53 PM By: Richard Patey Member since: Sep 15, 2018