Product titles

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE), Feb 8, 2019.

1. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

191 16
    A google shopping consultant has told me to switch my titles from something like this:

Ducati 748 916 996 998 Supersport IE Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard

to something like this:

Carbon Front Mudguard Ducati 748 916 996 998 Supersport IE

Removing less important words like 'fibre' I get. But switching the bike's brand name and model number to go behind the product description surprised me (that it matters at all). And upon checking my competitors' sites, I do indeed note that they put the product before the bike.

Any thoughts on my question, please? Before I go in there and disrupt 800 titles.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  2. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

777 114
    I would assume that it would depend on what your customers are searching for. I sell football related items and in 99% of searches the team comes before what the are looking for. So I will always have a title like Liverpool FC Beer Tankard. If your customers are more likely to search for carbon mudguard for ducati, then yes, swap them around.
    Check your Google Search console and see the actual search terms.
    I'm definitely not an expert by the way. Just fiddle around a lot and see what happens!

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  3. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

191 16
    Looking in the google ads account, they nearly all put a general product description before the bike. Which has also surprised me. I search Ducati first...but I am not the customers so I need to acknowledge that. The next question is, does it make any difference?

4. wayzgoose

777 114
    Not sure. This is where an expert needs to come in! I would say in the normal search results, yes. Ads, don’t know.

5. dcart

dcart UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    The order of words in title attributes is very important in SEO. You should also check the form of entering passwords by users. For example, keyword1 keyword2 will produce organic results other than keyword2 keyword1.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: dcart Member since: Jan 21, 2019
  6. wayzgoose

777 114
    Well I've just tried searching for 10 of our best sellers in both the organic results and through shopping.
    I did 2 searches for each product, one putting the team first and one putting the product first.

Apart from the odd move up or down one, it didn't make the slightest difference !

7. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,571 8,974
    The page title and the product title are not necessarily the same thing. And if you use sub-headers you can really go to town with the details. And then add a full description along with applicable model numbers and fitting details and google has got something to really get its teeth into.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. dcart

dcart UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    Generally, if Google advises you to optimize your titles, I think you should do so.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: dcart Member since: Jan 21, 2019
  9. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,202 1,725
    Doesn't necessarily mean "carbon mudguards Ducati" is better than "Ducati carbon mudguards"

Others may be outranking you for "Ducati carbon mudguards" and your just picking up the dregs

Try setting up both in exact match and check the impressions rather than clicks

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  10. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,571 8,974
    A "google shopping consultant" is not Google. Many of the shopping and adwords consultants are hopeless.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

191 16
    Well, she brought to my attention the following thoughts on titles like this:

RSR Moto MV Agusta Brutale Dragster Fibre de Carbone Garde Boue Avant Caches Latéraux

The product 'Carbone Garde Boue Avant' does not get described in the 1st 50 characters. Also, the people I am looking to snare in my shopping campaigns will not know who RSR Moto is. When I checked my sales, hardly any sales went to products with the company name in. So it may be the company name is getting in the way significantly.

My german campaign has gone much better, the titles are much shorter. The French know how to make a meal of things.

12. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

191 16
    All the google support I have experienced so far has been worse than that.

13. UKSBD

9,202 1,725
    Is your google shopping consultant French, German or English?

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  14. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

191 16
    None of the above...the language nuances are all on me....

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  15. UKSBD

9,202 1,725
    What nationality are they then?

You would assume a French national would know more about how French people search, a German national how Germans search and a British national how Brits search

Ducatti Mud Guards may be more common in Britain, Mud Guards Ducatti (French translation of that) in France

If your shopping consultant is telling you something based on one country don't assume it is the same for all.

16. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

191 16
    Yeah, this is exactly what I am scratching my head at and think you have got it right. It is not clear if she thinks this or just thinks products should always go before brand. I will ask. To be honest, she is more there to deal with the set up, mapping and keep me from having to deal with the cretinous service of google. I set my own merchant and account up for Germany last May and it took nearly 6 weeks to get it validated and acceptable to google. She got me going in a week for France. However, I have been surprised at the poor performance. Consequently, I have been asking for her opinion on what i could to to improve it.

I got an immediate 4,500 euros extra sales the month after I set the German google shopping up, with a budget of 150 a month. In France it is about a third of that so far. Not enough.

Whatever, her thinking, it is quite logical to me that my company name needs to come out, something I am doing this weekend.

17. UKSBD

9,202 1,725
    Another thing to look at is, do the ads even appear when people search for *brand product*

I know in my case they don't
    A search for *model description* returns shopping ads.
    A search for *manufacturer model description* doesn't return shopping ads.

18. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

191 16
    Can you give an example here? Don't want to miss a tip but not sure how model description will look and indeed where in the product title I am supposed to fit a description?

19. UKSBD

9,202 1,725
    Search at Google for "ax6 wheelchair ramps"

Then search for "Enable Access ax6 wheelchair ramps" (Enable Access are the manufacturers)

Shopping ads are at the top of the 1st search, nowhere for the 2nd

20. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

191 16
    OK, so the brand name counts for nothing in the paid google world? Makes sense to me. Hence the removal of our name on all listings this weekend