Please review my first ever eCommerce website - automotive prints

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Limited100, May 16, 2020.

1. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,458 9,914
    What's your marketing plan? I'm assuming you will be advertising or some other sort of promotion that highlights the limited edition aspect of the images.

It follows therefore that people landing on the site already know what you do. They will only be on the site because they want a print to hang on the wall.

The homepage should be the the shop. Not the hero image and not the 'popular this week' just the images.

Each product should have as big an image as you can get on the page. Don't bother with the thumbnails/slider, show me images of the frames and mounts separately as they are standard for all prints.

Add a description of the car next to the image. Put the photographer on an separate page (especially as there is only one).

Don't have the image on the left and everything else on the right - it's a waste of page space. If the image was full size you can fill the page below with all the blurb.

It says from £69 on the homepage but the default on the product page is £117 (A1). This makes it look like you are trying to rip me off.

If I add to cart and want to change the border/frame I can't. I have to remove and start again. Not a good UX.

Remove the studio, location, about from the main menu. They add no value.

The FAQ isn't. It's just information about the prints and frames. A lot of this is already on the product page. Good internal linking will make this a lot more user friendly.

Don't use computer generate imagery. Get some real frames made and good high quality photos.

Consider offering corporate/business sales. Posh XYZ company won't want to use paypal, they will want an invoice.

Put your full contact details on in the footer and telephone number in the header. Put a picture of your with your car/pictures on the site.

You have two different returns policies: 14 days and 30 days.

If I'm not on the homepage there isn't a menu link to the collection. But if you make the homepage the collection this problem goes away.

The filters need fixing. The browse by has things like '4cm' and 'badge'. You need an option to search by marque.

All the products have 'Limited100 by Paul Ward' in the label. You would be better off using line two to describe the picture.

And the limited to 100 has annoyed many of those I've shown the site to. Limited to 100 means there are only 100 copies. Irrespective of size mount or frames. Don;t care how others do it. Your whole USP is limited to 100 not limited to 100 per size and anything else you might want to offer.

You nearly got a sale until my mate (who owns a Bugatti) realised it's not quite as exclusive as he thought. He was also annoyed he couldn't see the close up of the image and also thought the image had been doctored.

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  2. Limited100

Limited100 UKBF Contributor Full Member

61 10
    Have applied your feedback on exciting mission (and experience) to the About page:

https://www.limited100.co.uk/pages/about

Interviews-wise I need to think of a PR angle.

Once I sell some I will get some testimonials for sure.

Thank you.

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: Limited100 Member since: May 1, 2020
  3. Limited100

61 10
    Thanks again, responses as follows:

4. Limited100

61 10
    Marketing plan is in the works.

5. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    White is a totally different company. They have a full menu showing different departments. The hero image is a promotion. Below this they have categories of products.

You only have one product: prints. There no other part of the site needs accessing. Put the shop on the homepage. Do not put barriers in the way, to have to click to see the products is a barrier.

I'm not suggesting you get lots of variants printed and framed. But as you must already have some A3 frames ready you only need to bung in a picture and take some pictures. You may be a start up but if you want people to buy you need to invest some cash.

There are so many things you can do to improve the site. The key right now is to put the products in front of the potential customer as soon as they land on the site.

On the product page you don't need to show the frames/mounts in the gallery. You can show these in the description or link to an info page. Doing things link this will negate the need for the FAQ page.

Consider categorizing the images: racing action, studio shots, closeup etc. Much better than the studio and location pages (which add zero value).

Also consider not using Shopify. To really show off and market the products you need something that isn't as restrictive.

6. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    Once you have this in place you can them build the site.

The marketing plan will dictate the type, design and focus of the site.

For example, if you plan to market Ferrari images you need a stunning Ferrari landing page. Showing me a standard page with the Ferrari filter enabled won't cut it.

7. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,229 2,009
    I like the concept, someone I follow on Twitter does similar with T-Shirts https://weare1of100.co.uk/

I disagree with fisicx about just having the products/shop on the homepage, if I'm buying something like that I'm buying in to the concept, I want to see your story, your enthusiasm, your photographer, info on the shoots, etc.

If I just want to buy the prints (limited edition framed prints even) they're loads of sites I can go to buy them from

This is where your marketing comes in though, do you just want to target people buying prints or people buying in to the concept?

What I don't like is the size of images, I want to see full screen high resolution (I want to see the certificate at full screen too)

I want to know if the "about the artist" and "about this commission" information is included (on back of certificate or on separate high quality paper)

I also don't think your promoting the best concept well enough "Want an amazing image done of your own car?" You only have a contact us link, that's the bit that intrigues me the most

If you go and photograph someone's car (or they bring car to you), do they then become one of the prints for sale, does the car owner get a % on any sales? looks like a perfect kill 2 birds with one stone opportunity.

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  8. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    Which is why you need a marketing plan before building the site.

I do agree about adding backstory - but this comes after showing me the images.

9. Limited100

61 10
    Do you have any examples of SME or mid-market ecommerce businesses that in your book have a really good website in terms of UX and layout? Be really interested to hear your thoughts.

10. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    https://www.kingandmcgaw.com/

https://www.artfinder.com/

These two make it easy to find artwork. But you shouldn’t be thinking in terms of e-commerce. It’s more about selling the prints, you need to make people want to buy. All you are doing right now is showing me the images. Do some research on AIDA. Learn about the buying process, how a customer journey works. But do this once you have a marketing plan. Until you know how you will find customers and what you offer them you can’t build a website. Everything begins with the marketing plan.

PS: always look at any site on your phone first. It’s the device of choice for many.

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. Limited100

61 10
    Ok thanks everyone for your feedback, please keep it coming. Following some lengthy discussions, we have decided to make our prints limited to 100 per image, not per size and style. We guarantee that we will only ever produce 100 of each image, regardless of our customers' selected print size and material.

Have also tidied up the website tags to just include marque.

Have made popup much less aggressive and considering removing it completely.

More development to come but I feel that our offering is now in line with our brand name and not going to confuse people.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Posted: May 18, 2020 By: Limited100 Member since: May 1, 2020
  12. Nick Walsh Studios

Nick Walsh Studios UKBF Regular Full Member

156 19
    Posted: May 24, 2020 By: Nick Walsh Studios Member since: Apr 12, 2020
  13. Limited100

61 10
    Thanks, did a product photoshoot on Saturday, have uploaded a couple to the homepage so now we have pictures of real products.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: Limited100 Member since: May 1, 2020
  14. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,346 4,324
    I do occasionally buy art and I buy what I like, rather than what makes a statement or is a good investment or looks right on a certain wall or any of that nonsense. And I love good-looking cars.

I would not buy any of the images you have for sale because they are (IMO) not art. The Bugatti 57C is itself a work of art, but the arty and pretentious use of PhotoShop gets in the way of appreciating the beauty of the car. It is the photographer telling me how clever he is. The repeated and insidious use of motion blur, colour enhancement and other effects get in the way of being able to see the car through my own eyes.

A good photograph captures a moment. That is what made Vivian Maier so special. She showed cars being admired or with kids in them or as a background to a NY street scene. She told little stories. The only story I see in the images you are selling is that someone has a subscription to Adobe CS.

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  15. Limited100

61 10
    A good photograph, and in fact good art doesn't have to tell a story.

A £20m classic supercar ragging it up Prescott Hill Climb, that may never be seen again isn't a moment worth capturing?

If only you were aware of the amount of work our photographers and editors go into to create each product. Maybe the website could do a better job of clarifying this.

Some images have blurring effects, some don't, the photographer does their own editing so it is still entirely their creation.

[​IMG]

16. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    I think that’s the problem. It’s not a picture of a car, it’s something that’s been edited.

I go to Prescott regularly and I’ve got some great images of all sorts or cars hammering up the hill. Didn’t need to do any enhancements with photoshop.

Maybe your customers like the blur. It’s just not my thing.

However, you still need to put the shop on the homepage. And then fiddle with everything else. It’s an iterative process. You change something to see if conversions increase, if they do then you change something else. Conversely, if conversions fall you know the change was wrong. It can take months and hundreds of small changes until you find the sweet spot. When you do the money will start rolling in.

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,346 4,324
    Perhaps a wide choice of photographers would be a wise move. That way you can see who sells and who does not sell. Maybe some people like heavily stylised and enhanced images - I don't! A series of smaller B&W pictures in the style of Vivian Maier could possibly tempt me.

Another golden thought is - why just cars? Other themes are available! Cows, horses, people and insects are all running around, waiting to become art!

Fix the product. Fix the marketing. THEN build the website!

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  18. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    This one almost makes it but you can see it's been enhanced:

https://www.limited100.co.uk/collec...1-at-bicester-heritage?variant=32091214577742

This one looks fake:

https://www.limited100.co.uk/collec...ipo-4cm-1100-monoposto?variant=32081840078926

Like @The Byre said, everyone will have the sort of image they like and the sort they don't like. Provide a range of styles and have some filters so visitors can see different image styles.

A thought from a vintage car driver friend of mine (about 10 minutes ago):

"Are you selling art or are you selling pictures of cars?"

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,464 1,053
    How are you going to compete with the 1/4 million images here https://fineartamerica.com/art/photographs/cars

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  20. Limited100

61 10
    Yes more choice is good, will look into black and white as an option.

I did consider other types of artwork but I'm a massive petrolhead and not really into cows/horses/people/insects/the rest of reality. There are millions of car fans out there, plenty big enough market and I wouldn't want to dilute its appeal.

I like the idead of fixing everything and then launch the website, but I prefer the more proactive approach of building it and getting feedback like this which has helped tremendously so thanks.