Please review my first ever eCommerce website - automotive prints

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Limited100, May 16, 2020.

1. Limited100

Limited100 UKBF Contributor Full Member

61 10
    Hi guys,

I've recently launched a website on Shopify that sells premium automotive fine art prints on paper, canvas and aluminium composite, on limited runs.

https://www.limited100.co.uk

Our target market is car enthusiasts who want something exclusive for their home, office, man cave or garage. There is no compromise on quality this is a high end product.

It's early days but just seeing if you have any initial thoughts/feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Posted: May 16, 2020 By: Limited100 Member since: May 1, 2020
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,458 9,914
    My car isn’t listed.

you block my view with a pop up.

It’s not limited to 100. According to your blurb there are 1800 of each print (100 x 3 sizes x 6 frame options).

I don’t actually like any of the pictures. I buy pictures for my wall and search google images. That’s where you need to be listed. Using shopify makes this more difficult.

Posted: May 16, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Limited100

61 10
    You never fail to come across as very blunt, even if you don't mean to be :)

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,339 430
    A niggle really, but I'd try and keep your gallery images consistent, for example:
    https://www.limited100.co.uk/collections/automotive-fine-art-photography

I prefer the vintage-style prints like this:
    https://www.limited100.co.uk/collec...ipo-4cm-1100-monoposto?variant=32081840078926

Would like to see more of this type, personally.

You have the makings of a decent site and I'm sure you'll keep improving as you go. I don't have the time to go looking for small things to be negative about. I'm not keen on pop-ups and such though.

Best of luck

Posted: May 16, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,458 9,914
    Apologies if you feel that way. I gave you my initial opinion of the site.

I searched to see if my marque was listed - it wasn't. Which would mean I'd go back to Google. But change the working on the site to focus on the style of images rather than the marques and expectations will change. Removing the search function may also help.

The popup was annoying - another reason to leave the site.

I didn't actually like any of the pictures. Surely this is part of a review?

And the point about it not being limited to 100 prints is quite important. It's not 100, it could be 1800.

The key part of the site are the images. You have a hero image which stops me seeing the images and I have to click on a link to see the gallery. Vistors to the site already know what they want so why put barriers in the way?

The product pages need BIG images - full screen width so punters can see the details.

I looked at the gallery and you some appear to be computer generated and not of the actual print. It's a bit offputting.

The costs can get quite high if I want to order a couple of big prints - I'd really like to pay with mt Credit Card but you only offer paypal.

The homepage shows popular products but you haven't sold any yet. Might be a good idea to hide this until you have made some sales.

The studio page says "Looking for photographic car art shot exclusively in the Limited100 studio?" But the images aren't from your studio, for example some are from Prescott.

Hopefully you feel this is less rude and abrasive. If so there is a lot more I could post

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Posted: May 16, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Limited100

61 10
    Thanks Darren, in what way do you mean keep the images consistent? They are either shot on location or in the studio.

The popup should only appear on exit - you were leaving anyway but I have noticed on mobile it can appear when just scrolling for the first time.

Yes over time the product range will expand. Cheers.

7. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

584 85
    I was only on your site for 5 seconds and as I began to scroll down, a pop up asking permissions to display notifications came on my screen.

I dont know you, why would I allow this?

Posted: May 16, 2020 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  8. Limited100

61 10
    You do come across very strong in your first post, but I'm sure it either isn't intentional and you aren't aware of how you come across, or you are and you're just doing it to rub people up the wrong way. Your second post is much more considered. I just thought the role of a forum moderator was to keep the peace, not wind people up. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Anyway, feedback is feedback so appreciate your time. I will address your feedback as follows:
    • I am sorry that your marque wasn't listed, if you don't mind letting me know what you drive I will speak to my photographer and see if we can get more of that marque at the next event we shoot at.
    • The popup should only appear on exit but I will query that with the service provider Klaviyo.
    • You don't like any of the pictures - Fair enough.
    • Limited100 means each print and format variation is limited to 100, e.g. fine art paper A1 or canvas A3 or Aluminium Composite A2. 3 sizes x 3 styles = 9 runs of 100 = 900 available for each picture. Like most players in this game, the limit refers to the print and format variation.
    • Please can you clarify which hero image is stopping you see the images? The purpose of the home page is to clarify who you are and what you do including your value proposition, if someone lands on your site and you just show them products then you haven't built any value. Visitors to the site do not necessarily know what they already want.
    • The product page needs big images for sure, I will try and increase dimensions without compromising load time.
    • Payment methods - there are multiple ways of paying including credit card - yes these prints are not cheap they are very good quality and I am making minimal profit in the early stages because I want the quality to be industry leading from the word go and I am not cutting any corners.
    • Popular products - this is by how many have viewed the page not by how many have sold.
    • Studio page - all of them are in the studio - these should be the products you see: https://i.ibb.co/HdQY3WS/Screenshot-2020-05-16-at-16-05-30.pngon this page? https://www.limited100.co.uk/collections/studio
    Feel free to keep the feedback coming thank you.

9. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,339 430
    On the page I linked to all the images are in landscape format except one which is in portrait.
    On desktop it's not much of an issue but in mobile/tablet view it could look a bit off?

Posted: May 16, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  10. Limited100

61 10
    Yeh that's probably a bit much isn't it, I was recommended to add it but maybe it does more harm than good.

11. Limited100

61 10
    Oh I see what you mean, yes some images are shot in that way so have to be portrait rather than landscape.

12. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,168 324
    The website's not bad, you just need to make incremental improvements, like all websites.

If you want to keep the notification popup in place I would recommend reconfiguring the "later" behaviour. Currently sessionStorage is used to store this preference, so any time I revisit the website in future, no matter how much time has passed, or when I open pages in new tabs while browsing, the popup will appear again. If I were browsing your site as a customer then I would probably be opening multiple products each in a new tab, which means the notification popup appears on every tab... despite it not being "later". This should be reconfigured to be less aggressive, reappearing after some time has passed, say 7 days minimum, in my opinion.

I found reaching your products confusing and the pages which seem to list your products ("Location", "Studio") have a wall of text at the top when I just want to reach the goodies. I have no idea whether this text explains what's on the page because there's too much for me to be interested in reading when I just want to see what products are offered. I would suggest a clear 'Buy Prints' or 'Browse Prints' option in the main menu (probably after Home and ideally removing some of the other menu options) to make it clear where your full product list is. Then I know where your products are, I am confident all products available are on that page and I can filter / browse as desired. There is a 'Explore The Collection' call to action on the homepage so I am guessing that page lists all of your products but I really don't know and the same page URL isn't linked in your main menu which seems equally strange.

Not sure about how the prints are presented in the product listing pages showing the shadows, from a browsing distance those shadows almost look like a poorly designed CSS border/shadow has been placed on each print image! Can you not show the prints cropped to the photo or do you feel this wouldn't represent the prints very well?

I'll bookmark this, might want to grab something for my office wall which is currently bare.

I'm curious - did you choose the name 'limited100' on purpose to keep your options open to other types of prints in future?

Posted: May 16, 2020 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  13. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,815 3,025
    The 'Join the grid' popup was annoying while I was looking around.
    Hadn't decided if I liked the pictures, had only been on the site a minute.

The images don't do anything for me - I like art but not enough to pay more than about £25. Perhaps means more to the petrolheads.

No idea if your prices are competitive, been a while since last sold limited number artwork and was a bigger run than yours.

Perhaps show a sample image of wooden and aluminium? Showing how the other options look is what I would expect - but two options just show an edge of a picture? For the price show what the picture looks like in that option.

Posted: May 16, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  14. Limited100

61 10
    Thanks for your feedback Mike, I've turned off the annoying notifications popup and will investigate why it's behaving like this.

The shadowing is just a graphic design effect, if I could get a real photo of every print it would look amazing but unrealistic. Maybe I can get a hi res pic of each product as it sells.

In terms of you wanting to bookmark it, I guess you've answered that then I guess the point of the notification bar and popups is to save you from having to bookmark it but if I can do it in a less intrusive and annoying way then perhaps that will have striked a good compromise.

Yes 'home' and 'location' I guess could be quite confusing. Cheers again for your valued feedback.

15. Limited100

61 10
    Some limited run automotive prints are 10 times the cost from competitors, I feel this will help much less affluent car enthusiasts get hold of something really special.

Definitely need to do a mockup of the canvas and aluminium composite for each image especially given the price, really good points thanks.

16. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,648 305
    Posted: May 16, 2020 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  17. Limited100

61 10
  18. Limited100

61 10
    Just realised it does say 'From £69'. Guess it should default to that for better UX.

19. Nick Walsh Studios

Nick Walsh Studios UKBF Regular Full Member

156 19
    Needs: now or later date when you get some of these
    emotional end benefits you offer audience
    share exciting mission that inspires your audience
    show experience, and credibility
    origin story somewhere on your website
    share testimonials
    what interviews could you schedule to get featured
    mention how many buyers you have, show Facebook likes, Youtube subscribers, Twitter followers images that prove your promise
    phone number top right of page
    Have an exit pop up to capture email address of prospects

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: Nick Walsh Studios Member since: Apr 12, 2020
  20. Limited100

61 10
    Thanks Nick, much appreciated.

What do you mean by "Needs: now or later date"?

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: Limited100 Member since: May 1, 2020