PAYE for 2 part time roles

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Daryl89, Jun 8, 2019.

  1. Daryl89

    Daryl89 UKBF Contributor Free Member

    34 0
    Hi all! I have a question that I hope you will be able to help me with! I’m looking to take on someone to help with admin and online aspects of my business. In the below scenario I am company B and am wondering if I need to be PAYE registered to pay him below the LEL.

    Here is the scenario,

    John is paid £719 a month from limited company A for part time admin work. (Company A is PAYE registered as is required in order to pay above the LEL) would another limited company (company B) need to register for PAYE to pay John £512 per month (below the LEL), also for part time admin work?

    I understand that in that scenario John would be required to submit a self assessment return and pay tax on the amount over the tax allowance. But my understanding is that neither he nor either business wouldn’t be required to pay any NI contributions.

    Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Daryl89 Member since: Feb 13, 2019
  2. NicoJ

    NicoJ UKBF Regular Free Member

    114 15
    Yes you will, as it's his second job you will be required to operate a BR code meaning that he will pay 20% tax on all his earnings.

    You will need a PAYE scheme to pay over the deductions you've taken from him.

    You are correct in regards to the NI situation.
    Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: NicoJ Member since: Mar 27, 2017
  3. Daryl89

    Daryl89 UKBF Contributor Free Member

    34 0
    Thanks, and then I assume that if he has over paid tax he would be due a rebate at the end of the year?
    Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Daryl89 Member since: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Scalloway

    Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

    15,130 3,211
    Yes HMRC will refund any overpaid tax.
    Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Newchodge

    Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

    12,449 3,234
    Or he can contact HMRC and ask that his tax free allowance is apportioned appropriatly between his two jobs.

    Logically, both employers would be required to be PAYE registered and submit RTI even if he was their only employee and was paid in both jobs below LEL. However I am not sure, off hand, how the first employer would be aware that they needed to be registered (assuming a slightly different scenario in which the 2 employers were unconnected.
    Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  6. DWS

    DWS UKBF Regular Free Member

    107 13
    Are Company A and Company B associated?
    Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: DWS Member since: Oct 26, 2018
  7. Daryl89

    Daryl89 UKBF Contributor Free Member

    34 0
    No, the scenario is that my father in law has a Ltd company, he has someone that helps him part time and is very good and I could use some similar help and considered taking him on for a day a week.
    Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: Daryl89 Member since: Feb 13, 2019
  8. SteLacca

    SteLacca UKBF Ace Free Member

    1,429 277
    Why do you assume that? The only requirement to complete a self-assessment Tax Return is if HMRC issue a notice to file under TMA1970 S.8. The only requirement to notify chargeability to HMRC (thus giving them information to decide whether or not a Tax Return is required) is at TMA 1970 S.7, which in a nutshell, requires a taxpayer to notify income giving rise to a tax liability which is not subject to deduction at source. This, effectively, removes PAYE income from the S.7 requirement.
    Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: SteLacca Member since: Jun 16, 2016