New website

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Pet Nanny, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Pet Nanny

Pet Nanny UKBF Ace Full Member

1,226 88
    So I finally got a WordPress blog and I have done absolutely nothing to it, apart from the odd post.

The SEO is nonexistent and I am using it as a bit of a learning curve. However, I now have a personal Instagram account, which my blog is listed, so I guess I need to start taking it seriously.

All and any advice appreciated, but please be gentle. I do have another domain name which I purchased. When I looked for it originally, it said it had already been purchased so I plumped for this instead. A few weeks later I got an email stating that the name I originally wanted, I had already purchased and it was due for renewal drrrr, so I need to point it at this one - scratches head.

https://www.alwaysnina.co.uk/

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,047 1,096
    What's the point?

I don't mean that in a confrontational way, I mean what do you hope to achieve from having a blog?

Also, why a stand alone blog?

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Pet Nanny

1,226 88
    That’s a fair question.

So l am new to Instagram & already doing blogging in my professional life, so want to carry it over to my personal account.

I also work with companies testing their products for our clients & would like to retire in the next five years & transfer my skills, so l could possibly still have an income albeit with my personal Instagram account.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  4. Cheap Host

Cheap Host UKBF Contributor Full Member

52 7
    WordPress is very easy to learn...might be an idea to change to a more attractive theme and maybe start doing some research into SEO to help the site get moving a bit

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 By: Cheap Host Member since: Oct 20, 2018
  5. BuildAWebsite

BuildAWebsite UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9 0
    Hi Nina,

The site looks good for what it needs to do as a personal blog. It's a good starting point for sure.

Few pointers:

• Rename the "Uncategorized" post category.
    • Remove the "Meta" widget from Appearance > Widgets - it just encourages people to visit your admin page which you don't want....
    • Add your logo top left from "Customise" this will ensure your logo is on every page and not just the home page.
    • Install Yoast SEO - this will help you optimise your pages and posts better for search engines

Hope that helps : )

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: BuildAWebsite Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  6. Pet Nanny

1,226 88
    • So I am looking to implement the changes and I already have Yoast installed.I currently have the 18 theme which is free from Wordpress, but I absolutely hate the wide pic at the top and just cannot change it. Perhaps its because the pic I went to add in its place is not narrow enough!
    • Can I change the theme without doing the whole site again?
    • I don't have a logo since it is my personal blog and I didn't think it would be required.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  7. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,937 9,071
    Yes you can change the theme. There are thousands of free themes you can use.

You don’t need Yoast.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Pet Nanny

1,226 88
    Just a word of warning to people re wordpress sites. I have literally just tried to change the pic on my front page and its gone completely. Just when you think you have understood the basics, this happens. Bangs head on wall - again!

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  9. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,431 1,672
    LOL. Listen if you want a bit of help with your blog, send me login details by PM and set up a call and I'll fix those bits for you.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010