Magneto Vs Opencart VS WP woocommerce Vs Shopify which is best ??

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by 2012, Feb 16, 2019.

?

Best eCommerce Platform

1. Magento 1.9

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Magento 2

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Opencart

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. WP Woocommerce

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Shopify

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,117 234
    Yes, I'm building it on my host on a spare domain. I've got a VPS and I'm currently getting sub 1 sec page load, but only got a couple of test products on at the moment. On the same VPS, my Woo site is getting 1.4 sec page load, but I know there is more I can do to optimise that.

No, I can't because it relys on an integration which isn't available for Magento.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  2. 2012

2012 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

710 18
    I've not really looked into Managed VPS lately but in the past it was not worth keeping it due to the cost and low benefit for my use.

Could some developers reply with thoughts on the different eCommerce platforms and your experiences.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  3. Neromare Works

Neromare Works UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 4
    Haven't worked with Shopify but I think that's paid & premium. Can't say anything about Magento too. OpenCart I know. I've used it on numerous occasions with my old two stores back in the day and it was super fast and great. I upgraded from ZenCart which was outdated and very buggy. And the last time I used OpenCart was a long time go, so with that being said - they should be so much better now, with all the upgrades and stuff. You could also purchase great themes on Envato for the OpenCart.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: Neromare Works Member since: Feb 4, 2019
  4. dcart

dcart UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    Over the last 5 years Opencart has changed beyond recognition. For the better of course.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: dcart Member since: Jan 21, 2019
  5. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,375 583
    Cannot agree more. We always say that OpenCart is the happy medium between Magento and Wordpress. Alex

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  6. dcart

dcart UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    I see no objection to Opencart in this thread. For those interested I give the link to the OC demo version below:
    demo.opencart. com/admin

The worst solution you can compare is Shopify. This is a SaaS service. The shop is not yours. You do not have access to the code. You cannot pack the shop and move it somewhere else. You only rent it. A completely different e-commerce model.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: dcart Member since: Jan 21, 2019
  7. antropy

3,375 583
    It's still the best on balance in our view ;)

Paul

8. antropy

3,375 583
    Where have you looked? Most questions in the forum are answered straight away by experienced OpenCart developers.

Paul

9. antropy

3,375 583
    To give some balance though, you do have to be careful to choose quality themes as some are very bloated and some are just coded badly. I guess that's the same with any platform.

Paul

10. Neromare Works

Neromare Works UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 4
    Absolutely. Very well said, sir. Speed is the most important thing with websites. Load time of no more than 2 sec. is preferable.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: Neromare Works Member since: Feb 4, 2019
  11. 2012

710 18
    Thanks guys,
    My thoughts have been shifting on my top 2 choices,

I'm still not sure of WP,

Im thinking about dropping prestashop as a choice, Why ?

Its not scalable (in my option)
    1. Your stuck with what come built in unless your willing to pay silly prices of extensions
    2. I've found 1 developer who will work with it and even on here it does not have much support got it.

I'm taking another look at Opencart because of the support you guys are showing it and it was my original choice.

I've not really used Opencart in about 6 years but on the surface it has not changed much, its still looks dated and basic, I find it harder to understand due to the way things are setup in the backend, (Loads of tab and categories for ever little thing instead of having them together when possible.)

Please remember I've been using magento and WP which could be why.

Can anything be done to impove it ?

Choice 1 Opencart. Why?

1. its light weight and fast.
    2. seam to have all the basic feature.
    3. Has loads of extensions and most are free so I could add a lot more
    4. it has a few good looking themes, so the front will look modern. at least
    5. Cost will be lower

Why not

1. its a bit dated now, terms of spec, features and design.
    2. The updates are not improving much (like magento 1.9)
    3. I would still need at least few plugins to get the same results as magento 2
    4. most of the advance features are addon,
    5. I think its a little dated compared to the others in terms of setup, features and design.
    6. Backend I cant get use to yet, load of tab and categories for ever little thing instead of having them together when possible,
    8. would need more work to get the same results I t

Choice 2 Magento 2, why ?
    1. I've been using magento for about 4-5 years so ive gotten used to most of it.
    2. So far it has done everything I need without extensions. so magento 2 should also.
    3. its feature rich so almost everything I could think of come out of the box,
    so no looking for extensions or compatibility issue or security issues due to extensions,
    3. it seam the most modern and update out of the lot and has been getting decent updates since the release of magento 2 0..
    4. its still gets a lot of support from developers
    5. its scalable and can do almost anything I would need.
    6. my magento site has not been slow.

my reasons for not using it
    1. it's magento so its a lot more resource and could be slow ( if I can get it running fast without a vps that would be good )
    2. I've always had issues with magneto 1.9 breaking really easy and I dont know if magento 2 will have the same issues. so I may have some issues in the future.
    3. It can be expensive to run manage and maintain, developers charging a lot more for it and having to get dev to make minor changes can add up (again dont know if 2 will be any better)

I have looked online for features and comparisons but I've not found anything good, so im not sure it will do everything.

I've not really found anything, so i'm having to search online ask questions and use the demo to get a better idea.

maybe ill need to spend a little more time with the demo

Any examples, Could you tell me what has changed,

I have no interested in a paid platform like shopify

Local to me and freelance

Any suggestion I could take a look at also How can I tell which is a good theme which is bad bloated ones?

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  12. 2012

710 18
    How would migration work for both magento 2 and opencart ?

how would the products, categories, pages and other data be exported if my site is having issues ?

13. 2012

710 18
    Has anyone used based Laravel solutions ?

14. antropy

3,375 583
    We use Laravel for some things but not for an ecommerce platform. Do you have any in mind specifically?

Paul

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  15. Inva

Inva UKBF Regular Free Member

369 62
    Magneto hands down. He would totally destroy all other carts, as carts usually have metallic parts.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  16. 2012

710 18
    I dont but a few coders have suggested going for Laravel instead because its the next step,
    Latest technology so it'll take less time when you need to upgrade., Less unnecessary code.

They suggested Custom, Aimeos.org or Shopaholic. Im not too sure.
    To me they seam more like plugins like woocommerce.

Also Why do you use Opencart over magento 2 other then you have been using it for years and it your main platform.

17. antropy

3,375 583
    What on Earth are you talking about :rolleyes:

Well it's not really a shopping cart solution, it's a PHP framework. Sure you could build a shopping cart with it, but why would you seeing as there are plenty that are already built.

Well, "Custom" just means build your own shop with Laravel, which is a big (and pointless) project when others exist.

Sort of, they're a lot more complex than that.

Well if the question is "don't you only recommend OpenCart because you've been using it for years and it's your main platform" the answer is the reverse: "we've only used it for years and made it our main platform because we did thorough research of all the open source PHP shopping carts and found OpenCart to be the best!
    https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/shopping-cart-review/

Paul

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  18. 2012

710 18
    That's what I thought about Laravel based option.

Have you done a updated review with magento 2.3 ? I'm assuming your review was done a few years ago.

19. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,117 234
    Sometime I wonder if Inva is a bot?

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  20. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,593 8,983
    How small?

Whilst there has been lots of great discussion better answers may be provided if you tell us a bit more about your business.

Are you shipping thousands of items each day? Are you international? How big is the range of products? What system integration do you need? Is this a one man show or do you employ a team of pickers and packers?

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006