Magneto Vs Opencart VS WP woocommerce Vs Shopify which is best ??

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by 2012, Feb 16, 2019.

?

Best eCommerce Platform

1. Magento 1.9

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Magento 2

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Opencart

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. WP Woocommerce

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. Shopify

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 2012

2012 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

710 18
    Which is the best eCommerce platform in 2019 for a local store, website managed by a single person with minimum funding ?

We have 2x magento sites on magento 1.9 multistore (single backend) they could do with a some updates and fixes and im thinking of either switching to another platform, like wordpress, opencart ect. or just revamping magento .

I know I did start a thread end of last year comparing WP and opencart but never moved the site due to the xmas season, I never had time to do much so I'm taking another fresh look this year and check my option.

My thoughts on each platform.

Wordpress / Woocommerce

Pros - Wordpress light weight, east and simple to use, it has a lot of options, WP has a lot more developers who use it,

Cons - Not really built to be a eCommerce platform, will need to stick a few plugins together along with customisation to create a eCommerce site, Will be bloated and slower with all the extras, Very common so will likely be attracted more often ,

Is it really that good or is it getting recommended because its easy to work with and most developer use it but have not really done much with the others.

Magento 1.9

Pros - Professional looking, Doe most of what you need out of the box,
    Con - Resource hog you will need a very good host, A bit dated, confusing and complicated.,

Opencart

Ive not sured his for a long time so I dont know what it will be like but here is my thought from afar.

Pros- Fast, Does most of what you would need out of the box, simple and easy to use
    Cons - Theme dont really look professional, seam a bit dated and simple.

Shopify
    Pros - most of the work is done for you
    Cons - monthly cost

Magento 2
    Dont really know much about it.

My reason of thinking of changing platforms
    1. We are only a small local store and have done very little on magento platform, We use to do better on the basic opencart setup but that was a number of years ago maybe it was due to the market at the time im not sure.
    2. Im just one person that manages the sites and it not a easy platform to use or understand as some of you may know, its had a lot of on going issues over the years and magento experts do cost a lot more then the others developers, I only stuck with it because we spent a lot of money to get the site built and switch to a new platform would cost more money I dont have to spend on this. I''ve never had good experience with it, it alway get a big issue every few month which I then need to pay someone else to fix it, cost to fix is much higher then others platforms and Its a resource hog so it needs powerful host or a server to run,

3. From what I've been told next year will be the last year for magento 1.9 support and It will switching to magento 2 which will require a rebuild and cost a bit due to it being magento, so It will need to be rebuilt at some point.

if it was a easier platform I could fix a lot of the issues myself, more of the buying market is going online so we need to have a good reliable and safe site.

Why I think I should sticking with magento, revamping, fixing it and updating.

We have a OK site, it has some SEO which I don't want to loose, I've been told magneto is still one of the better platforms,

I don't want to switch and thing I should not have .

Please let me know your thoughts.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,246 8,887
    Nobody can answer your question without knowing an awful lot more about your business.

I would say one thing though about Wordpress/woo. If configured properly it can be blisteringly fast. Woo sites are often slow because people keep adding plugins instead of adding the functionality to their theme files.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,116 234
    Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  4. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic UKBF Regular Full Member

315 130
    Yup, agreed. I had a client the other day that had 52 plugins running! Needless to say, the site was slllllooooooow.

Plugin obviously have their place but 52 plugins, developed by 52 different parties (all tested with Wordpress but NOT each other) and some would be updated and others left to gather dust, will cause issues somewhere along the line.

:-s

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
  5. sherbetdipdab

sherbetdipdab UKBF Regular Free Member

102 14
    Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: sherbetdipdab Member since: Jan 20, 2019
  6. Raw Rob

1,116 234
    I wouldn't count on it. This is already the extension!

7. husseycoding

husseycoding UKBF Newcomer Full Member

11 2
    My advice to you would be to do some solid research on each potential framework you are considering around the features your store must have. Basically ignore what others might tell you about what is the 'best' etc and find out for yourself which one best fits your business needs.

Look at what each framework does out of the box, and if one of them doesn't do all you need, and there is no extension available either for free or at a workable price then you might want to take that framework out of the equation.

It's also worth considering if any of them come across as really overkill for your requirements - so maybe there is a good percentage of features you can never see yourself using, you might also want to take any like this out of the equation as well as it could prove to introduce an unneeded overhead in the future, both in terms of potential performance and cost associated to running and developing the store, i.e. the framework might be heavier meaning you could need higher grade hosting costing more and development costs/extensions may cost more.

And obviously also consider cost, both initial to get the store up and running and ongoing to maintain and develop the store. Some choices will have ongoing costs just to use the platform, others won't, but you should also weight initial costs along side that, so a framework with no ongoing cost will likely have a greater initial cost, but in the long terms will always win out over a store that has an ongoing cost to just use.

Basically any of the popular e-commerce solutions will work just fine for running a store, and it's not the case that one is better than all the others, it's more that each attempts to target itself to a slightly different market, i.e. if you want all singing all dancing, you will probably want to go with Magento, if you want something easy to setup which lets you hit the ground running quickly, but doesn't have so many features you might want to go with Shopify. Ultimately you are the only person who can really answer your own question as it completely depends on your needs and your business.

As a Magento developer I can say that Magento 2 is a massively improved option compared to Magento 1. The codebase is based on modern coding principles and the build is incomparably better than Magento 1. It's also being very actively developed with major new additions being released pretty regularly (at least once a year) for instance the recent release of 2.3 added elasticsearch to the open source addition, and added MSI (multi source inventory) for those business who have multiple warehouses. Magento have really made a push to add much of the functionality that people might have regularly bought as an extension in Magento 1, as bundled functionality in Magento 2 (i.e. full page cache in open source, easy admin grid customisation). They are also adding swathes of completely new functionality as well, such as the significant inroads they are making into the B2B market with the ability to have companies and hierarchies within that against customers.

So if you are after the all singing all dancing option, then Magento 2 is a great choice, but if not it might fall into the overkill category, and although there are no ongoing costs to use it, development costs could be higher.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: husseycoding Member since: Sep 10, 2012
  8. 2012

710 18
    @fisicx @WebshopMechanic @sherbetdipdab @Raw Rob @husseycoding
    Thanks guys for taking the time to help me out,

I am still comparing my options as its not something simple but either way I look at it I will still need to move away from my currant build, as raw rob said Magento 1 reaches End of Life June 2020 which I think was extended from 2018.

Does anyone have a good up to date comparison of eCommerce platforms, I can try and get the info from the site but most of them are a bit long winded spreading the features over 10 pages.

Im also going to check out the demos to get a idea of how the backends work (maybe I will like one over the others.

I know If I go with

Wordoress Is fast and simple but its not made to be eCommerce site, it does seam ok for a few products and very small show but it will need to a little more work to start with like plugins to add features and security ect.

also Im not sure how good it will be for a few hundred products or how professional it will look to customers.

Does anyone know of any woocomerce site beyond the basic site offering 10 products which I could see to get a idea ?

Open cart was a good platform in the past but it never get much attention, I dont even see that many developers promoting they support it, which make me wonder why.

Shopify - I dont really want to pay a month fee and still do most of the work.

@husseycoding Is magento 2 any faster or would it still need a VPS or a server and does it break as much 1.9 ?

9. Raw Rob

1,116 234
    I've currently got 80 products on my Woocommerce site, most of them are variable products with both size and colour variations. I'm very happy with it, although it's still work in progress https://www.zazeka.com

I'm also developing a Magento 2 site, it's a lot more complex than Woocommerce, it's taking a lot longer to build, but I think it has a lot more features out of the box.

10. 2012

710 18
    Thanks rob,

Just came across something called prestashop has anyone used it before ?

11. 2012

710 18
    I have tried out the demos of all platforms I have listed not inc shopify

From my basic overview my top 2 choices are Prestashop and Magento 2

Both msgrnto and prestashop are Getting ongoing feature update. both Feazture rich, Clean modern design in the both front and backend.
    They are both easy to use but prestashop maybe a little simpler to use, I dont find magento 2 hard or confusing but that maybe because I've been using magento 1.9 both are built as ecommerce platforms so both are secure and have a lot of builtin features but Prestashop does have some issue here, most of the addons are paid.
    Prestashop needs some addon for payments like paypal, stripes but they are free and the shipping option we use (price vs destination) is not available without paying a large amount..
    Magento on the other hand has all the features we need plus more, a lot of the addons are free.

PrestaShop uses low resource and is faster not sure by how much but you could run it on a normal shared host, Magento 2 should be 25% faster then magemto 1.9 but you would still need a good host or server.
    Magento and prestashop both have good looking starter themes and you can buy some descent pre-made theme, I've seen a few developers offering service for magento but non that I have come across offer prestashop unless you ask, which im not sure why but magento development does cost more from what I've seen.

Opencart is Fast, light and a Clean design like woocommerce but built to be a secure eCommerce platform, it has all the basic setting but most of the advance features are addon,
    I think its a little dated compared to the others in terms of setup, features and design.
    Seam to use load of tab and categories for ever little thing instead of having them together when possible, After 10 mins of looking I could not find the location of the shipping and payments setting,, All advance features are addon's. I've also not seen many developer's supporting it.

Wordpress is good but I think would be better for wordpress site looking to add a shop or a smaller shop not looking for too much.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  12. fisicx

30,246 8,887
    A old client of mine had a WordPress site with over 5000 products and they did just fine

It’s not the number of products, it’s how the site is configured that slows it down.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. dcart

dcart UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    A few points for Opencart:
    1. It is the fastest of all e-commerce.
    2. It is not just an extension like woocomerce.
    3. It is very easy to use.
    4. It has great graphics especially on Themeforest.
    5. It's safe, even without updates.
    6. It has hundreds of free extensions.
    7. It has thousands of cheap extensions.
    8. The community's response on the forum is instant.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: dcart Member since: Jan 21, 2019
  14. 2012

710 18
    The more look the the harder it gets to choose,

Everyone has their own options which is the best but im still stuck scratching my head.

I had another look at opencart, I found you need to enable the shipping and paynment options in extensions, it also has a lot of free extensions which can be added, but I still find the backend little dated and harder to understand, maybe it because im use to magento, the front is also dated but maybe that can be fixed with a theme.

What supprised me is magento 2 looks like a good option, but does it still have the normal magento issues ?

Prestashop also looks good but I would be limited to what comes builtin.

Woocommerce has pre made theme which look as good as any other its also fast light and has all the basic feature which I think is good but its still just basic without adding all the plugins so would it be a good complete eCommerce platform im still not sure or maybe im just not looking clearly.

to start with you need WP + woocommerce,
    You also need a seo plugin + a security plugin + a optimisation plugin, maybe more,
    then any plugins you would need for the eCommerce side, payment plugins, shipping plugins any other features you may want, Checkout Manager, Social Media, Upsell & Cross-sell, Product Filter ect.

My main issues,
    1. Would it be good a standalone platforms once everything is added ?
    2.Would it still be secure after adding everything
    3. Would it still be fast.
    4 Would I not have issues or conflicts with all the plugins ?

Outside wp and woo most of the plugins will be 3rd party, so you may have issues, they may stop getting support or even become paid.

15. fisicx

30,246 8,887
    You don't need all these. A number of woo themes have these features built in. Or you can employ a developer to build a theme with all these features.

If you do need to use a plugin you can still make sure it doesn't affect performance by managing the configuration.

And it will still be a lot let resource heavy than Magento.

I've been using Woo for years and never had any issues. I'm sure other developers can extoll the virtues of other platforms.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  16. 2012

710 18
    Let me do a little more research and see what I find.
    I've been with magento so long I cant get my head around somethings.

Any good premade themes you would recommend I check ?

17. Raw Rob

1,116 234
    I don't know what you mean by "normal magento issues"? I've not finished my site yet, but so far I think Magento 2 is much better than 1

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  18. 2012

710 18
    Needs a powerful host ( magento 1 does) can be slow sometime, and things would break with updates or changes way to easily,

You have used Magento 1, 2 and woo how do you find them ? and how long have you used them for ?

19. Raw Rob

1,116 234
    Yep, probably needs a powerful host, but seems easier to get it running at a good speed compared to M1 (possibly due to support for php 7 which is much faster than php 5). Not done any updates yet, I started with the current version 2.3 I think it is).

I've been using Woo for about a year, I like it a lot, but Magento just seems better for the fact that it is built as an eCommerce platform and has almost everything you need built in, the backend is more logical. Although a lot more complex.

I've been working on a M2 site for a couple of months, not live yet. I started working on M1 a couple of years ago, but in the end decided to wait for M2, can't remember why exactly. Then when M2 came out, it wasn't really ready and no extensions had been ported. Now it feels like M2 is ready. (I'm trying to rebuild a site which is currently running on ZenCart, it's is my main site which I've been running since 2005!)

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  20. 2012

710 18
    haev you tested it on your host ?
    Well I run my magento 1.9 site on a shared cloud host and the load time is about 4.5s not bad but I think it become slow with more customers using it, it maybe a little slower then my WP site but not by much, but from the demo, I have found magento 2 backend easier then 1.9

This is my thought and the main reason I'm even considering magento again.

After you have built the magento 2 site would you move the wordpress site to magento 2 ?