India V China

Discussion in 'International Business' started by 101010, Jul 9, 2020.

1. 101010

101010 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hi All - I was planning on bringing containers (furniture) in from China but notice India suppliers are becoming prevalent as well (last time I looked was 3 years ago).

Does anyone know the pro's / con's or considerations or could point me in the right direction ?

Thanks all (loving this forum!)

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 By: 101010 Member since: Jul 27, 2017
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,621 1,319
    If you want 'Rustic' and 'Hand Made' items go with India. (Expect slight variations to any stock)

Most (Not all) other furniture go with China.

IMHO

Others will have different views.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

322 48
    I'd avoid China like the plague.

Others will have completely different advice and agendas.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,815 3,025
    How much furniture in the big showrooms across the country comes from China? Probably at least some.... :)

Seriously, countries don't make the stuff. Down to individual factories.

Like going ewww, not having that item, its made in Britain!
    Good and bad factories, good and bad staff. Trick is figuring out if something is worth buying before buying it. :)

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,621 1,319
    Ray, you make me laugh! Hope you're keeping well.

No agenda on my part, just good impartial advice.

We supply furniture to customers in the UK, who buy from both China and India, so I can see what they are buying.

India is good for reclaimed wood, iron and leather which has that 'beaten' rugged look and a lot of hand work. China is good for latest designs, man made materials and machine made products.

It depends on the type of furniture you want to buy.

6. Ray272

322 48
    Beaten rugged look? is that how cilla would introduce MOIC, contestant number 2?

I am ok thanks Ron hope all is well on your end.

Just my way of saying hello.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  7. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,621 1,319
    I'm looking forward to our drink in GZ.

We'll have tales to tell each other, of that I'm sure.

I was contestant number 6.

8. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

177 29
    The top ten exporting countries for furniture (by value) have been reported as follows
    1. China (five times the value of number 2 and more than the other 9 combined!)
    2. Germany
    3. Italy
    4. Poland
    5. USA
    6. Mexico
    7. Vietnam
    8. Canada
    9. Czech Republic
    10. Netherlands

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  9. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

369 79
    I've not heard many stories about many furniture being made in India. Are you sure India is strong in furniture manufacturing? It's a technology/skill intensed industry.

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  10. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend Full Member

5,038 2,204
    Politically, there are good reasons to avoid China. If you're starting a new business and have options, take those options! Exclude every possible option before considering China.

China is increasingly becoming the world's pariah - their spats with the US are common knowledge. But anti-China feeling is growing around the world. Even Australia, one of their best friends and a country highly reliant on trade with China, is turning against them.

And this global trend is unlikely to change in a hurry because China is unlikely to change.

China is the world's biggest bully.

They bully other countries and companies on the issue of Taiwan. The rest of the world recognises Taiwan as a country. China doesn't. But they terrorise other countries (and even private companies based in foreign countries!) to not refer to Taiwan as a country.

China's expansionism in the South China sea is well known. They have broken international law, seized territory that does not belong to them, intimidated numerous countries in the vicinity and violated their space with impunity.

Last month they invaded India. India has now boycotted various Chinese suppliers, software, services (like tik-tok). China is investing significantly more than any other country in the world to expand their military power.

They have no respect for human rights.

The government is secretive, deceptive, dodgy. They abuse their citizens by the million. They censor the internet. They do not keep their word on international agreements (see latest news on Hong Kong). And it may still turn out that they did a major cover up on Covid-19.

The world is sitting up and finally taking notice. Also, they are taking action.

The UK has now, at great political cost, reversed their Huawei decision. There will be other anti-China decisions taken by the UK, the EU, the USA and countries around the world in the coming months and years. When it comes to China there may be tariffs, trade barriers, disputes, public boycotts against companies dealing with China, military action....

Those who are already in China - just get the hell out if you can.

If you're considering starting a new business involving a supplier China ....what?! Are you frigging kidding me? What the hell have you been smoking?

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  11. JezDonnel

JezDonnel UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 1
    take it from India , it may be cheaper , but the quality is the same . India is goind to become the next China ) in 10 years .

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 By: JezDonnel Member since: Jun 30, 2020
  12. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,621 1,319
    I don't disagree with most of what @Clinton has said above.

I think the issue will be product categories that cannot be made elsewhere that easily or as cheap.

There will always be a 'price v moral' issue.

It will be an interesting next year or two.

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  13. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

385 123
    I know somebody that imports a bit of furniture -martial arts stuff.

He buys it made to his spec in Vietnam, the manufacturer also makes for John Lewis.

Manufacturing is becoming quite advanced in many countries now including Mexico, Poland, Vietnam etc etc.

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  14. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,229 2,009
    You need to be really careful with these manufacturers who are also making products for big companies.

I know of someone who was having something produced and the manufacturer just used the same components used in the other product

Turns out the big company had the design rights registered and threatened him with legal action.

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  15. clamp1988

clamp1988 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 2
    Very well put.

For a bunch of ppl that screwed up the entire world I am surprised at the restrain govt's are showing in isloating them considering they have literally got away with M*****.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 By: clamp1988 Member since: May 25, 2020
  16. Mr D

24,815 3,025

And some of the world still want to borrow money from China too.

Plus buy all that nice cheap stuff from them.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  17. Mr D

24,815 3,025
    Lots of governments have gotten away with murder, breaking international law etc.
    Oh you were not describing British government?

We are not lily white.

Just some governments do things more openly than others.

18. Mr D

24,815 3,025
    Yes if they can adapt their production.

19. Ray272

322 48
    Hold on a sec?

I have been saying exactly what that chaps been saying and getting flak for it for 3 years.

The internet has made a massive error and allowed China to prosper. If it was a legal requirement to specify COO data on every product sold online on the listing/marketing data then everyone would factor that and China would lose out. Online retailers would be forced to diversify their procurement and they would make more opportunities for lesser known countries.

The basis of this is I always check where clothes are made before buying and I never buy made in China. Must be plenty of people doing this in stores but the chance never arises via online shopping. To me that's a massive error.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  20. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,511 1,189
    I have no issues whatsoever buying from China, as long as the goods I want can be found somewhere else at the same price and quality level. I have a few Chinese suppliers who get one chance and don't make the cut for future orders, but equally I have become very friendly with quite a few suppliers and the only real issue is distance and time delay. I don't like their Government very much, but it's theirs, not mine, so I don't let it influence what I buy. I've been shafted by people in the UK quite a few times.

In this day and age of racial issues, the word racism comes up often and most times I have trouble with it's use and the official dictionary meaning of the word - as in a hatred of. It's now OK to have a hatred of China apparently, and by association everyone who lives and works there. This is clearly stupid. If you have personal views, expertise your right to not buy from them.

The internet has not made an error. The USERS of the internet might have? Today a delivery of items arrived. I've sold half of them today in just a few hours. Why would I not have done this? Saying no to a product because of it's origin is just crazy if people want it!

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List