I’m burnt out running a business

PGTV

Free Member
Jul 5, 2017
Anyone else feeling completely burnt out running their own business? At the start of covid, with the lockdowns it was great - business increased dramatically (being Mail-order). While others were stuck at home with lockdown rules or worrying as they could not open, my daily life was “normal” - going to work normally and “legally” - every hour was like Christmas trade, things were good.

But now I feel completely shattered and burnt out. Christmas trade is approaching and I just cannot focus on it. I should have ordered stock weeks ago, but just could not bring myself to do it.

I read of others starting their new business because of covid - with all the excitement of starting, yet I feel the complete opposite. Is it just me?

SillyBill

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
No, not just you, I am shattered and counting down the days until I can have a few days off between Xmas and New Year. We haven't stopped for a breather since March 20.

Immaterial of business performance (it has been good for us over last 2-3 years) we've had Brexit to deal with, then COVID and now massive inflation (I appreciate the former two may be driving the latter but I approach it as a new hurdle to be overcome). Our margins have dropped off considerably over the last few weeks, purely because I haven't been as proactive as I needed to be in passing it on, exhausted and these tasks are being kicked into new year now, effectively at my own expense. Sometimes you do have to recognise though, as harsh as we are in being our own critics, we can't go 100% flat out for months/years on end without a price to be paid later.

Upvote 0

Lucan Unlordly

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Do you guys sleep well at night? My Doctor sent me straight to A&E the other week for X-Rays and tests on a troublesome swelling, this following a list of niggly ailments, a couple requiring antibiotics, that I've had in recent months.

The hospital doctor, taking a broader view of my general health and work pressures, said I was knocking decades off of my life due to lack of quality uninterrupted sleep.
Taking his advice, after just a few days of improved shut eye, i'm focusing better, am making better decisions and am much less stressed. Nothing has changed at work, if anything there have been more balls to juggle but it took a medical wake up call for me to realise the answer lay in my hands. Superhuman we ain't!

Reactions: simon field
Upvote 0

Trevor Andrews

Free Member
Feb 9, 2021
Anyone else feeling completely burnt out running their own business? At the start of covid, with the lockdowns it was great - business increased dramatically (being Mail-order). While others were stuck at home with lockdown rules or worrying as they could not open, my daily life was “normal” - going to work normally and “legally” - every hour was like Christmas trade, things were good.

But now I feel completely shattered and burnt out. Christmas trade is approaching and I just cannot focus on it. I should have ordered stock weeks ago, but just could not bring myself to do it.

I read of others starting their new business because of covid - with all the excitement of starting, yet I feel the complete opposite. Is it just me?
We opened our shop three days before the Spanish Government put us in lockdown so yes it has not been easy and the recovery is slower than we hoped.

But remember “when the going gets tough the tough get going” and a good reminder is the fact it’s Remembrance week. I’m wearing my Poppy with pride and helps me appreciate how lucky we are.

Upvote 0

I think lots of people feel like this! There's only so long that you can keep running for. Also then there's the pressure to "keep going" which is a bit of a false economy because you then never recover and get your enthusiasm back.

When I feel like this, I give myself permission for a week to only do the essentials and either just go for a lot of walks and take a break, or/and focus on tasks that I enjoy and try to get some of my mojo back!

Upvote 0
Our industry has been busy for over 2 years.
I just got to the point where every day was a drag, but I carried on as I wanted to make hay in case everything stopped.

September to mid October it seemed to fall off a cliff, I just enjoyed it. I could have brought in some business but I didnt bother unless people called me.

It has picked up again this month and I have had a busy 10 days, I reckon next week will be busy and then it usually dies down until mid Feb, I think I will just enjoy the break and hopefully start afresh in the new year.

The key thing from all of that is just dont forget to take the break. I think you have maybe made a mistake and you should have powered through Christmas and the January sales (if that is a busy time for you) and then take 2/3/4 weeks out, you will then be back to normal but you would have been able to benefit from the busy periods.

Upvote 0

Maverick77

Free Member
Oct 12, 2021

Sorry to hear that you're burnt out.
Are you in the position to be able to employ people to help?

Upvote 0

PGTV

Free Member
Jul 5, 2017
Thanks guys for the replies - appears I’m not alone.

business has always been “in me” - but the last few months has been a strain now. I should feel blessed that I have a business that does well regardless of what is happening - but the human behind it is not as resilient.

something has to give as I think everyone is at their wits-end. I take my chances with covid as my metal state is more of a danger to me!

Upvote 0
In January, I was in hospital for 2 weeks with Covid. I had a doctor look me in the eye just after a couple of ECGs and say 'heart attack.' It was almost as scary as my ex-wife's divorce lawyer.

It's been a helluva struggle to get back to normality but I'm alive! Every breath feels fantastic. Nothing like desperately struggling to breathe to make me appreciate the simple things in life like, well, breathing. It's massively underrated. When I took my first, staggering steps! When I was able to run again! Just walking the dog is amazing! Being close to death means life is amazing!

From a business perspective, just had a record October, November's looking decent and December will be quiet but I'm happy. I'll be able to pay off my bounce back loan and the credit cards! I'll be able to buy the fancy camera equipment I need for my video production business!

Life is good!

Upvote 0

JEREMY HAWKE

Business Member
Business Listing
Mar 4, 2008
EXETER DEVON
www.jeremyhawkecourier.co.uk
I have never felt better

Eat well exercise ,get all your jabs stay away from all the skankers that will pass bad things onto you and make some money :):)

Everything will sort itself out as long as you sort yourself out :cool::cool:

Upvote 0
Been there, done that.

I work with my dad (63) and during lockdown the penny dropped, I literally took an axe to the business.

I halved the workshop size.
I sold one van
I sold a load of machinery
Upgraded what machinery we were keeping.

Couldn't be happier! We use more subcontractors which works 99% of the time, and produce in house what we can that generates a higher margin.

My dad's reduced his days, its Monday Friday, 8-4 and I rarely work Friday afternoon, and other than 2 Saturdays in the past few years for friends, we dont do weekends.

I've friends in the same industry, who thought I was mad... they're working days, nights, weekends, and seem to have no end of bad luck, things going wrong, costing time and money and all manner of stress, and its not like they're making anymore more profit than we do!

I've people telling me to start making certain products, sure it'll make money, but bore the life out of me!

Perhaps I'm wrong - but I don't work for myself to be a slave to customers. I don't work for myself to spend my time away from work stressing and worrying about work. I don't work for myself to work every waking hour.

My old man and I, have a relatively stress free, happy life.

Upvote 0

Sparetoolparts

Legacy Full Member
Oct 26, 2015
I'm in the same boat, Covid made my sales triple overnight, and since lockdown has lifted my sales have been on free-fall back to Pre-Covid levels which makes me want to give the whole thing up, as why bust my pan in 7 days a week for a tiny return.

This time of year is always quiet this time of year as well, I need to stop comparing things to Covid Lockdown times and compare my sales etc to pre-covid.
I have learned to quit at 6pm each evening though which is a good thing but the thought of what I have ahead the next day is constantly on my mind.

Good luck with moving forward

Upvote 0

Ozzy

Founder of UKBF
UKBF Staff
  • Business Listing
    Just reading this thread, and can only say the same as others. Take some time for yourself to recharge, no matter how hard it may feel to do it.

Before covid I had managed to get the business to a stage I wasn't needed, and was able to spend a couple days a week doing voluntary and charity work I really enjoyed. Was able to spend time in the countryside with my daughter. Then covid hit, after a few months I needed to cut back and put some people on furlough...and the business swallowed me. I couldn't take time off when I had people who's jobs I needed to secure and be able to bring them back to.
    It's almost the end of the year and I've git about 3 weeks holiday I still haven't taken. Only got myself to blame though, I went and bought back some forum or another that's kept me busy. :eek:

I do have some time booked off in January through and again in February. Getting the new launch of this site out the way then once the dust has settled that's when I'm taking my time out.

Why not, at the very least, just have a couple days of nothing before the Christmas craziness kicks on? Just a couple days, no phone and no email, just a walk in the countryside to recharge.
    The hospital doctor, taking a broader view of my general health and work pressures, said I was knocking decades off of my life due to lack of quality uninterrupted sleep.
    I must have weeks left! Due to spinal issues I don't sleep properly, unless I take some seriously hitting drugs which the doc prescribes. As they're addictive I tend to avoid them unless absolutely must.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu