How much does it cost for a good website design

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by fredrick.molby, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredrick.molby

fredrick.molby UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 0
    How much should i be willing to fork out for a new website design? I just don't want to be over charged

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: fredrick.molby Member since: Jun 28, 2012
  2. WebfactoryUK

WebfactoryUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Good question to ask as the prices vary so much!

I'm a freelance web developer and a lot of my clients have come to me from other companies that were charging thousands for a site.

Personally my bespoke sites start around £600 and that gets you a custom design and a site built in a content management system allowing you to have control and update the site yourself really easily.

You can get cheaper but it depends what kind of service you want.

If its a simple what I call brochure site (home, about us, services, portfolio, contact us - type thing) you shouldn't pay more than the above.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: WebfactoryUK Member since: Jul 23, 2012
  3. frida_adams

frida_adams UKBF Newcomer Free Member

117 3
    It depends on the work. what you want cause, when you thinking to build up a new website. Then you also thinking my website should have good quality better graphics. so money is not matter, mater is that what kind of web you are developing. cause as you know in this world there is lots of website but all are not popular. And you also think my website should have high traffic. find such company which they full fill your requirement. and give you a best and quality deal.. and price can be negotiable.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: frida_adams Member since: Apr 17, 2012
  4. NextPoint

NextPoint UKBF Newcomer Free Member

506 139
    Keep in mind that the price of a good web design isn't the same as the price as a good website. A good website is asset that assists your business, whether it be generating leads for sales, increasing customer satisfaction or anything else that is a benefit. A good web design is often a one off cost, but a good website and online strategy is something that is ongoing - something you can hire people to help you, or you can engage yourself with your own time. Keep in mind that all time is money, so it still costs even if you are doing it yourself.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: NextPoint Member since: Feb 3, 2009
  5. MancunianCreative

MancunianCreative UKBF Newcomer Full Member

611 112
    Totally depends on what you want. YOu could get a decent ecommerce website for £3k. no problems. But River Island might spend £50-60k on what appears to be a similar looking job. It's all subjective.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: MancunianCreative Member since: Aug 26, 2011
  6. FutureM

FutureM UKBF Regular Free Member

381 25

I think what NexPoint is pretty spot on.
    A cool looking website is no good without someone who know what they are doing in terms of making use of it.

It could end up like paying loads for an interior designer to give you the best looking shop in a town and then have the shop down an ally way with no signs to it while all the ugly shops are on the high street.

Plus it really does depend on what you are after.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: FutureM Member since: Oct 25, 2007
  7. merry88

merry88 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Thats a lot of money. Anyway it all depends on what you need the site for.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: merry88 Member since: Jul 23, 2012
  8. Baz Watkins

Baz Watkins UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

728 119
    In simple terms it's the:

complexity of the job vs the rate the designer/developer/agency wants to charge

So in the Uk that could be anything from £200 to £2000 to £20,000, its all depends on what you want, how you want it and who you want to do it for you.

I have broken down costs in more detail in other posts, but this will give you the general idea... i.e. it's a piece of string.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: Baz Watkins Member since: Jan 3, 2011
  9. ColourKraft

ColourKraft UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 8
    It's really a matter of complexity and the skill of the designer. Most good designers charge an hourly rate which can be anywhere from £20-£100/hour. I would tend to avoid designers who charge a fixed price, they're more likely to rush it and do a poor job. I know I'm contradicting myself there because I'm offering an extremely low fixed price, but that's only because I'm a new startup and don't have a strong portfolio, so it's necessary.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: ColourKraft Member since: Jul 19, 2012
  10. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    How much is a house?
    How much is a car?
    How long is a piece of string?

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  11. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,007 1,533
    As someone wise in here one said, about the same as a car....

d

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  12. Paul_Rosser

Paul_Rosser UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,540 1,107
    As everyone has said it's not a simple question to answer, a good website can cost anything from £500 to £50,000. However a bad one can also cost the same, so make sure you are very clear on what you want when speaking to website designers and watch for hidden costs like charging a lot if you want a simple change made.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 By: Paul_Rosser Member since: Jul 5, 2012
  13. Dan_Kesher

Dan_Kesher UKBF Regular Free Member

149 41
    One option is to buy a website template from a provider like http://www.templatemonster.com/

Then get someone to customise it by adding your text and pictures.
    That way, you can be sure its using CSS etc which google will like, and you can pick a website style that you want easily.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 By: Dan_Kesher Member since: Feb 17, 2011
  14. aman200

aman200 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Its depend on pages..how many pages available on website....its depend on coding...like if u want you create your website in php then its cost u more than html...

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 By: aman200 Member since: Jul 25, 2012
  15. old boy

old boy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

94 8
    If it was me and I was starting all over
    i would definitely use wordpress hosted

it is so easy and can be updated easily with loads of plugins and widgets you can use

there are some good designs and I generally knock my own up it is that esay
    i dont know any html !!! well may be 2 or three bits

there are also loads of readymade wordpress themes out there

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 By: old boy Member since: Jul 23, 2012
  16. robbydesigns

robbydesigns UKBF Newcomer Free Member

77 14
    How much does it cost to build a wall in my back garden?

£15 for a monkey and a wall that isn't straight
    £15 an Hour for a decent wall - and that's cheap!

Of course, you could use that 'Fiver' website like many people on this forum, I'm sure you'll find someone who really knows what they're doing who can make a living, pay for their past education in design and feed their kids for a fiver.

Posted: Jul 26, 2012 By: robbydesigns Member since: Apr 12, 2010
  17. FreeWebsites

FreeWebsites UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 0
    Like most of the guys said - it really depends from the complexity and the purpose of the site. I'm sure you can find decent designer for the right price.

Posted: Jul 26, 2012 By: FreeWebsites Member since: Jul 26, 2012
  18. wsiyorkshire

wsiyorkshire UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I have just ask to explain this very question to a new customer, He told me " I have been between £800 and £12,000 for a website, I'm bemused" As started to reply I could sense a blog post coming on, in truth the blog post is a bit long for a blog, it is a thorough review of the factors that make a website cheap or expensive and the pros and cons of both

Posted: Oct 31, 2012 By: wsiyorkshire Member since: Oct 31, 2012
  19. optik

optik UKBF Newcomer Free Member

85 4
    I'll try and be more exact for you.

If you really just mean the design and not the build, you should be hiring a qualified to degree level graphic designer, do not let anyone tell you anything different. Secondly they should have at the very least junior level experience with a reputable design company or be able to demonstrate a healthy back catalogue of design work.

For this type of person pay no less than £20 per hour and expect to pay a bit more.

Now here comes the less quantifiable part. The amount of time the designer will take to design your site look and feel will vary, however if you go with someone who is experienced in designing for websites they absolutely should be able to give you a fixed quote. This is not for designing every nuance of the site it is for creating an overall layout, look and feel and if it's new business also a brand identity. So they are in effect designing you a template.

If you want a result that is going to be market leading then you should pay no less the £500 just for a look and feel, with the home page design and 2-3 other pages in their as examples. I think that is more than reasonable and would expect to pay a lot more for someone with a good portfolio.

With this in place you can get the same designer or someone cheaper to flesh out the rest of the site based on the look and feel.

Unfortunately design, especially web design is getting quite ruthlessly undersold at the moment, mainly because of DIY solutions and templates being so easily available. A bespoke design that has been created to for your business alone is a very valuable thing, but when that is put side by side with a $49 template people get confused and think designers are over charging. In some cases a template will do, but for a serious business there is no replacement for hiring a professional designer.

Posted: Oct 31, 2012 By: optik Member since: Nov 29, 2007
  20. ITsoldUK

ITsoldUK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,221 666
    Yes there is, hire a Professional who knows how to make your $49 website convert and rank. (or rank and convert, up to you)...

A fab looking site designed by your Professional but full of badly written, non-focussed tosh will not work and may well rank badly too.

So, in this instance, what do you get for your £££...a rolls royce with no engine OR fuel.

JMTC

A good website design is one thing, an effective website is another...as alluded to in an earlier post in this old thread. ;)

Posted: Oct 31, 2012 By: ITsoldUK Member since: Sep 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.