Fulfillment by James and James- experience

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Gabrielka, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Gabrielka

Gabrielka UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi,

I´d like to ask if someone of you has experience with James and James? They have nice reviews and great prices, however we are afraid of some hidden costs, so I wanted to ask if someone here knows them and if they would recommend them for fulfillment. :)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a nice day.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 By: Gabrielka Member since: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Joe Tagg

Joe Tagg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hi there,

Happy to share a few thoughts/experiences of James and James. Myself and a colleague considered using them for an eComm store we run. We visited their warehouse, and received a personalised pricing breakdown for them to fulfill all of our orders and for storage.

The warehouses and offices were impressive, and they offer a reasonably comprehensive service. The pricing proposal we received, however, wasn't great. There were a lot of hidden costs beyond the standard ones available. Things like: Account set-up fee / additional item pick fees / order branding fees / fees for each stage of goods-in, pick, pack, post (and many more). It made it incredibly hard to work out what the actual cost per order was going to be.

When we finally went through all the numbers, and compared it to our fulfilment costs at the time, it was way more expensive, almost to the point of bankrupting the company...

We actually ended up spinning out our own fulfilment company (JustFulfil) after the interaction with them! It highlighted a big gap/need for more competitive pricing and service. Very happy to have a chat if you were after some impartial advice; feel free to drop me a message.

If you were still interested in reviewing the J&J option, I'd really recommend getting a full, in-depth breakdown of all the fees involved for your business, and compare them with your current costs, and other fulfilment services.

Hope that helps at least a bit :)
    Joe

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 By: Joe Tagg Member since: Apr 25, 2019
  3. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

197 26
    So you currently use a fulfillment company and after prospecting a new one you decided to set up one yourself and I assume you are fulfilling your own goods now?

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  4. Mike Godwin

Mike Godwin UKBF Regular Free Member

100 17
    Don't know James & James but can recommend VA Distribution (Alan Walters) who offer a great service at good prices especially for SME's within the E-commerce industry.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  5. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,285 344
    Hi Gabrielka,

I missed this when you first posted but we use James & James and they have been great for us. Have you received a proposal from them? All the costs should be included there.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006