Former Employer is demanding I sign a confidentiality deed

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Deuxbiers, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Deuxbiers

Deuxbiers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    I have received a letter from a solicitor acting on behalf of my former employer asking me to sign a deed to say I shall:

1. comply with a clause in my contract of employment referring to Confidential Information

2. If requested, confirm I have complied with the undertaking set-forth in the deed.

I am concerned at the threatening tone of the letter and I wish to confirm if they have a legal right to ask me to sign the deed.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Deuxbiers Member since: Jun 4, 2015
  2. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,526 3,305
    Throw it in file 13.

IF what you say is true, that sounds to me like a unilateral change of terms of employment. And you don't even work there any more! Absolute nonsense! File 13 it - or keep it as a memento to laugh at.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,227 8,877
    Laugh at their temerity, chuck it in the bin and get on with life.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

11,933 3,093
    Write back requiring that they sign a blank cheque made payable to you.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. Deuxbiers

6 0
    Thanks everyone for the sanity check. I thought I was going mad!! I do still have some concerns that there is some legal basis for which they can demand this.

The letter makes several unsubstantiated claims regarding my behaviour during the last few days of my employment. The letter also contains several inaccurate and false statements, including alluding to me now working for a competitor and sharing company confidential information with my new employer. All of which is untrue.

My new employer does not operate in the same sector as my former employer and is not in competition. I have not shared any confidential information or data with them from my former employer. My former employer does not know the nature of work of my new employer and has no evidence to suggest I have passed any confidential information to them.

The letter is quite threatening, particularly the last paragraph which expresses my employer regards this as a serious matter, and failure to respond within the time limit given will lead to further unspecified action.

6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,314 1,559
    What can old employer do? Sack you?

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Deuxbiers

6 0
    He's very paranoid about company IP. He also has money to throw at problems and he sees me as a 'problem'! He's had solicitors involved with 6 of my former colleagues who have been suspended. One was suspended in Jan this year and as far as I know is still on suspension!! All this time my boss has been using solicitors to help him with investigating them (not cheap at around £500-800 per hour!)

8. fisicx

30,227 8,877
    I'd make sure you new employers know about the letter just in case your old boss decides to take action.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,314 1,559
    Sounds like the sort of boss willing to throw money away. Ah to be suspended from January....

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. The Byre

8,526 3,305
    That explains why they are prepared to go along with that nonsense!

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,794 935
    Stable door is firmly closed. If he didn't sort it while you were employed, then you have no duty to cooperate now. If the confidential material is pointless or useless to you, why not ask the consideration he is willing to pay for your compliance and then sign it and take the money?

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  12. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,438 3,067
    You have absolutely no obligation to sign anything, so don't. The contract you signed is your only obligation and if your ex-employer has a problem with that it's entirely his problem.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  13. Recruitment&HR

Recruitment&HR UKBF Contributor Full Member

43 6
    Happens regularly if a former employer believes there is a risk of a former employee breaching the confidentiality clause of the employment contract.

The letter you describe merely states that you are aware of the confidentiality clause and informs you that, should the employer have reason to believe you breached it, you will confirm that you did not.

It's up to you whether you sign it or not. However, should the employer ever instigate legal action, be that warranted or not, you will have a "black mark" in the eyes of a judge for not having signed it (if you have nothing to hide, then there is no reason to re-confirm that you are aware of you contractual restrictions).

Having said that, I've yet to meet an employer who takes legal action of confidentiality issues without having cast iron proof of a breach. It's expensive and a waste of time and money without proof.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: Recruitment&HR Member since: May 30, 2019
  14. The Byre

8,526 3,305
    Absolute nonsense! I can already hear legal professionals snorting with indignation at that statement!

Are you sure you are an HR professional?

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  15. Recruitment&HR

43 6
    It is not "absolute nonsense". Any judge will look at whether each party behaved reasonable. Not signing a confirmatory letter that merely sets your legal obligation under contract is plain and simple not reasonable.

It would be an entirely different kettle of fish if the ex-employer would attempt to impose new confidentiality restrictions that were not covered in the employment contract. This would be deemed unreasonable by a judge.

As for your personal insult - I'll ignore that generally but yes of course I am. In fact I've just dealt with a similar case last week.

16. Newchodge

11,933 3,093
    You what? I have yet to meet an employment judge who would look favourably on legal bullying by an employer against an employee who has committed no wrong.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  17. Recruitment&HR

43 6
    Small issue with your assessment - it would no be an employment judge.

And again, it's not "legal bullying" - it's a letter asking the former employer to re-affirm what he/she had already signed in their contract of employment.

18. Newchodge

11,933 3,093
    Could you put that into coherent English please? How can this letter notify the ex employee of what the ex employee will do? Please get a grip.

19. fisicx

30,227 8,877
    If they pay me for performing this action then I will sign an affirmation. My fee is £250

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. Newchodge

11,933 3,093
    Of course it is legal bullying. The employee may, or may not, have signed a confidentiality agreement. The employee may or may not decide to breach that agreement. If they do so, action may or may not be taken. Demanding, with menaces that the employee sign a 'deed' in connection with this is legal bullying.