Facebook WiFi

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by DaliaSpring, Jun 28, 2021.

1. DaliaSpring

DaliaSpring UKBF Newcomer

16 1
    Fb say it allows more people to find our business, gives secure access without sharing passwords, gets insights on visitors.

I'm not clear if you would need a facebook account in order to access WiFi but I would assume so.

Anyone have experience of implementing or using this?

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: DaliaSpring Member since: Jan 4, 2021
  2. intheTRADE

intheTRADE Contributor

502 183
    Yes your customers need a facebook account as they access the wifi by 'checking in' to your facebook business page onsite

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  3. Alcom IT

Alcom IT Full Member

31 1
    The WiFi access points (WiFi transmitters) we sell integrate with Facebook to allow people to use their FB accounts to check in. Check with your access points to see if they have this feature yet.

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: Alcom IT Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  4. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Does anyone really do this?

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. intheTRADE

intheTRADE Contributor

502 183
    I know people in my local do. I've not had facebook for around 4 years now so its not something I've ever done

6. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Does it mean I have to be in your shop, see the free WiFi thing then visit your FB business page?

If so it all seems pretty pointless. Why would I want to visit your FB page when I’m actually in your shop?

7. intheTRADE

intheTRADE Contributor

502 183
    With premises using Facebook Wifi (such as my local pub) yes the user has to 'check in' to the businesses facebook page to access the free wifi

Other places use a more generic free wifi (the The Cloud Wifi) option where the user can choose to login to the free wifi by their facebook (no business page check in), gmail, twitter or simply creating a free account wit their email and a password

I advised my local against using the Facebook Wifi option as it would alienate a huge proportion of customers considering is a social club.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. DaliaSpring

DaliaSpring UKBF Newcomer

16 1
    Thank you. I think we'll give this a miss then.

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: DaliaSpring Member since: Jan 4, 2021
  9. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    Do people really log into free wifi spots these days with the amount of data you can get with you phone contract I would have thought the idea was dead and buried

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  10. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Was in a place that used thecloud last week. Gave up and just used 4G, was a lot faster than the throttled bandwidth on the free WiFi.

11. intheTRADE

intheTRADE Contributor

502 183
    The Cloud is awful to be fair. I just use my mobile 4G pretty much everywhere now because my network provider gives me something stupid like 80g per month which I never even make a dent in

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. intheTRADE

intheTRADE Contributor

502 183
    Take a look at www.beambox.com or www.stampede.ai - both are way better than the Facebook Wifi rubbish

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

6,079 899
    Yes. You assume that the phone can connect to signal in all places e.g. in shopping centres, underground, hospitals etc.

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  14. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    :) yes, I’ll give you the underground, although personally I always found it nice to be un-contactable for a period of time (not everyone’s cup of tea I know) regarding Shopping Centre’s we used to spend a lot time working with the telecoms companies to increase the availability of getting customers connect to their services, when you got 50,000 plus people in a building it was obviously hard to get a signal so you would find a lot of (for the want of a better description) “booster box’s” around the centre helping to coupe with a greater demand.

Yes, landlords also installed their own Wi-Fi, but this was normally at the bequest of the marketing departments who I am sure probably revelled in the data they used to collect.

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  15. forevergroup

forevergroup Full Member

97 12
    Cisco Meraki will provide native login integration with Facebook WiFi, however the bigger problem you’re going to have is that you’re essentially only allowing Facebook users to connect to your guest WiFi which is a fairly exclusive decision to make.

Probably makes more sense for student environments (for example) where the proportion of Facebook users we would expect to be high…

…or if you’re a business that is particularly reliant on marketing via Facebook or Facebook ads.

You’ll have a better experience using something like our Purple WiFi solution as a guest WiFi portal.

These kinds of solutions allow users to log in via numerous methods such as a social media login or a standard contact form, but they can also potentially capture data (where possible) for remarketing purposes.

Let’s say for example, a pub wants to provide free WiFi, but then email those users to invite them back with a 2 for 1 meal voucher.

You get the idea.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: forevergroup Member since: Sep 12, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

4,119 709
    A lot of people do, especially younger generation.

I see this only really working for businesses that are reliant on Instagram/Facebook for marketing, and I get this is a small thing from Facebook to combat the Apple OS changes too. I see this only working for venues where the visitor is on site for a reasonable period of time, and very visual or community focused.

Posted: Jun 29, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003