Facebook/Instagram Return On Ad Spend?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Digimem, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Digimem

Digimem UKBF Regular Free Member

153 4
    Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a Shopify store and our core marketing methods will be Facebook ads.

Do any members here use Facebook/Instagram ads for their ecommerce business?
    If so, what has your return on ad spend (ROAS) been like?

Thanks

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: Digimem Member since: Apr 20, 2017
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,420 1,333
    It's the same as any other type of marketing. Done well, you will get many 000's % return. Done poorly you'll be lucky to turn a profit.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,637 9,972
    For most it’s been very poor.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,713 638
    Well the questions is have you done it before and was it a success? If yes then do it again, if no then don't go down that route. Alex

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  5. fisicx

33,637 9,972
    The problem with nebulous questions like this is we have no idea what they selling or to whom. We don’t know how well constructed the shopify site, how desirable the products or anything else.

It’s quite possible the products are totally unsuitable for Facebook. We just don’t know.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,513 530
    I'm going to ask ten women out on a date. I'm going to assume a 2/10 success rate because I'm fairly optimistic and I'm only going to approach women in my same age group who are also single.

I think my success is also going to depend on how good looking I am, whether I'm perceived as successful and how well I talk and present myself. How desperate the women are for a date will also be a factor.

Now relate this to Facebook and factor in a s*** show of a user interface, payment for everyone you ask and the chance you're going to be kicked off the platform for some random reason that nobody will ever reveal to you.

In short, it's impossible to answer your question but you shouldn't be dissuaded from having a go and seeing what happens.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  7. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,713 638
    Socially distanced of course;) Alex

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Shaun Kelly

Shaun Kelly UKBF Contributor Free Member

38 10
    We Have been fairly successful in the Past with facebook ads using lookalike audiences. But we do much better with other sources of marketing

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: Shaun Kelly Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  9. Simon Fryer

Simon Fryer UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Had a lot of success with Facebook and Insta over the years.

A business can absolutely get a good return on Facebook. As for ROAS, it depends your average order value and cost per conversion, so it won't really tell you much unless it's a similar product in a similar market.

A 150% ROAS for could be excellent for business A, whilst an 500% ROI could be terrible for someone else. I've seen ranges up to 1600%.

The only way to find out for yourself is to experiment with some limited tests.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: Simon Fryer Member since: Nov 4, 2020
  10. fisicx

33,637 9,972
    Indeed it can. But it all depends on what you are selling and to whom.

If you supply raw material to manufacturers then I suspect your ROI will be poor. Or maybe an undertaker. Can't really see 'coffin of the week- 50% off if you pass away before the weekend' adverts getting a lot of traction.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. Simon Fryer

Simon Fryer UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    My uncle Jim would probably have sped things up a bit for the savings.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: Simon Fryer Member since: Nov 4, 2020