Best Courier

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by stuart.dawes, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServersandSpares

ServersandSpares UKBF Newcomer Free Member

189 20
    We use APC Direct Logistics, have done for over 18 months now with not one parcel missing and only two out of all this time delivered late, and we knew in advance so we could warn our customers because APc called to tell us. It helps that one of the founding directors is based in our local office, but I haven't ever heard anybody else complain aboutthem, and we deal with hundreds of customers and companies that use their service.

However, that said, they are only fantastic for UK deliveries, because they cannot compete on price to Europe at the moment, and for that we tend to use parcel force. You can get through to a "real person" to make a booking, but in our area aren't 100% reliable for collection, so we always make allowances for this when we quote time frames to the customer. Anyone wanting anything urgent to Europe will more than likely be willing to pay extra anyway.

We try not to touch Royal Mail with a barge pole, they are so unprofessional it causes more customer hassle than is worth, so cheapest is definitely not best.

Whatever you decide to do, its best to shop around, make friends with any of the collection drivers, and those on the ground will be likely to recommend the people they think are best as a lot work freelance for more than one company, such as Fed Ex drivers who also collect for local companies for their area.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 By: ServersandSpares Member since: Nov 26, 2008
  2. handbagqueen73

handbagqueen73 Guest

1 0
    Be very careful using Fastway, we started using them just before xmas on an alleged 24 hour delivery timescale- the majority of which turned up 3-5 days after being sent. We could never get hold of them by email or phone to chase the parcel. When they did arrive we had numerous complaints about the state of the packaging and then to top it all off Fastway head office took the franchise away from our local courier and we were left with hundreds of pounds of tickets that we will have to go to court in order to get our money back- Now use Parcel Force - are minimally more expensive but have been fantastic not one problem to date!!

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 By: handbagqueen73 Member since: Mar 31, 2009
  3. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,706 720
    I agree with Steve, we use the Royal Mail with our retail business and we've had one item go missing in 6 months.

They are no good for heavy international orders so we end up splitting orders into more than one package to get round that.

BUT!!! It's just like using a courier and very much depends on where you live. I wouldn't trust the Wolverhampton Sorting Office to handle my dirty washing given how much got lost and stolen by their staff, but no complaints at all with Telford... or even Northampton :)

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  4. sapphal

sapphal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 0
    Sorry, couldn't resist posting this.

Would anyone use a courier who couldn't spell Edinborough (sic).

It's on their home page.

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 By: sapphal Member since: Dec 19, 2008
  5. Guest

0 0
    interparcel all the way. tried parcels2go, who i tried to post a package with, no-one showed, i cancelled the order and went to interpacel... (they e-mailed me sayin no worries).... now they wont refund me...

how to lose a customer in 24 hours..

interpacel is £8.04 inc. VAT (we also sell clothes). 1-2 days

kitty

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  6. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7,357 1,582
    But interparcel and parcel2go are both resellers. So, unless you're talking about customer service wrt to bookings and resolving disputes etc, its wrong to say that Interparcel or Parcel2go are cr*p.

The people that are cr*p are the carriers that have failed to collect, broken/lost the item, or failed to deliver. And with both Interparcel and parcel2go, if you book the service with CHEAPEST price 9/10 it will be a DHL economy service. And it's DHL who have failed to collect (which is one of their common problems for technical reasons that if you want I can go into).

Venting frustrations at the reseller is like blaming Thomas Cook because British Airways cancelled a flight.

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  7. Guest

0 0
    yes i know... i'm saying interparcel are great. i'm saying i booked through parcels2go... DHL didnt collect. I cancelled the re-collection. They sent me an e-mail saying that was fine (parcels2go) and said i would be refunded. So I sent the parcel with interparcel. now p2go will now not refund me.... and wont respond... so I ended up paying twice for the same package.

8. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7,357 1,582
    The blame for the failure to collect probably lies with DHL. So parcel2go aren't refunding because DHL have prob still charged them.

If you use DHL's own website to book, it will tell you for many postcode areas that they won't guarantee pickup on the day that you've booked it for. This is because they don't own van/employ drivers in many areas that aren't big cities, and the sub contractors won't drive out to smaller towns/rural areas to collect or deliver just one or two parcels, they'll wait till the next day and aggregate it. They have to, because they are getting literally pennies for the job.

Thing is, that if you use a DHL reseller, they don't tell you this at the point of booking. Again, not really a reseller issue, more a DHL issue.

But the customer service issues - totally with you - resellers issues all the way.

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  9. Guest

0 0
    for sure, i dont blame them for not picking up... i blame them for not refunding me when i have an e-mail saying they would...

10. mdj101

mdj101 UKBF Regular Free Member

248 27
    Think your selves lucky that you get to choose who you can use!

If anyone can find me a national courier to ship fireworks then I will buy you a LARGE drink!*

*not including our current courier, but I wont tell you who that is. just to see what you guys come up with!

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 By: mdj101 Member since: Mar 10, 2008
  11. neilos70

neilos70 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 3
    try saletrackparcels, very efficient reseller using DHL.

Posted: Apr 3, 2009 By: neilos70 Member since: Apr 30, 2008
  12. plymgary

plymgary UKBF Regular Free Member

493 60
    We use FedEX and they're good. Some depots are better than others though!!

Posted: Apr 3, 2009 By: plymgary Member since: Mar 5, 2009
  13. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 3
    We use SaleTrack and have no complaints at all.

However Express Packages have just offered us a sub account through UPS and bettered ST's rates significantly, so we'll be changing over to them.

Plus everyone tells me UPS are the bees knees!

Edit: Just having a quick read of this thread and appears people are commonly using normally re-sellers- that's fine, but if you're sending 5+ a day you're throwing money away!

....Get yourself a sub-account asap!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    Posted: Apr 3, 2009 By: ArmitageShanks Member since: Dec 24, 2008
  14. billyboy120

billyboy120 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

56 2
    Also use a local courier linked to APC, good service, free packaging bags, good prices, and you don't need to send 3000 parcels a week to get a decent price!

Posted: Apr 4, 2009 By: billyboy120 Member since: Oct 1, 2008
  15. UPS GUY

UPS GUY UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Well said that person..

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 By: UPS GUY Member since: Apr 18, 2009
  16. bublibob

bublibob UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 2
    If you think Fastways after sales was bad compare them with Parcel2go . I have used both on a regular basis. Parcel2go worst ever. Do not use under any circumstances. Rude, unhelpfull, loose parcels regularly, always find something in the small print that makes a problem your fault. Oh yes and they lie to you. Compared to Parcel2go Fastway gets 9 out of 10

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 By: bublibob Member since: Jun 3, 2009
  17. Andy27UK

Andy27UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

101 0
    I'm still owed £350 from a lost parcel sent a year ago.

I even took it through the claims procedure, the bailif went to the local depot and i got a letter to say they had changed trading address, sold out or gone bust.....so i wont get a penny.

It's the drivers i feel for... they dont stand a chance.

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 By: Andy27UK Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  18. LightingGiants

LightingGiants UKBF Regular Free Member

284 18
    Do fastway offer a tracking service when sending goods???

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 By: LightingGiants Member since: Jun 1, 2009
  19. Andy27UK

Andy27UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

101 0
    They do have an online tracking facility, yes.

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 By: Andy27UK Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  20. tdl

tdl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

74 6
    I think all carriers vary region to region.

We are a reseller and we use UPS, DHL and TNT and sometimes DPD too.

Depending on the service you require we select the carrier who we feel are the best.

We are made up of ex employees of the above mentioned and therefore this gives us a good honest insight as to who is best at what service and obviously price as is normally the most important factor to most (not all) buyers.

For ad hoc collections (one offs) most couriers perform poorly. I can honestly say for regular shippers we do not have issues with failed collections. To be honest that is why we only tend to deal with customers requiring a regular daily collection (of course we dont just ignore the ad hoc customers as everyones traffic profile is different) as we can get them set up on the regulars and IT systems and offer great pricing too.

If anyone is interested in pricing get in touch and put us to the test. I am sure we can be competitve whether you are a B2B seller or B2C or both!

E-mail [email protected]

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 By: tdl Member since: May 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.