Best Courier

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by stuart.dawes, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuart.dawes

stuart.dawes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 1
    hey Guys and Girls I am sending clothing thorugh the post with my new e-commerce site in a few. Who would you suggest i send my products with?

Stuart

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: stuart.dawes Member since: Feb 7, 2008
  2. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,201 302
    Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  3. ellisn

ellisn UKBF Newcomer Free Member

145 1
    Hi Stuart

I'd say a lot depends on what your local courier is like. There can be some good deals with DHL but that is only good if your local DHL driver can be bothered to collect... mine can't DHL 24 waited 2 days for collection then went RM. I like the look of Fastway but my local Fastway driver didn't want to come out for the odd item so maybe when the orders start flooding in I will have another go.

At the moment I vary the service I use depending on the weight and destination, offering Special Delivery Next Day is good but once the weight goes up to 2kg it gets expensive. If someone pays via cheque or BACS you can assume they're not in a rush and give one of the courier companies a go and see how reliable they are.

Good luck and I hope you have better luck than I did

Neil

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: ellisn Member since: Aug 28, 2007
  4. mannakin

mannakin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

159 10
    I use a local courier that is connected to a larger network - APC-Overnight. No problems and very helpful personnel throughout the network.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: mannakin Member since: Dec 15, 2007
  5. seocomp

seocomp UKBF Contributor Free Member

55 0
    I also use APC overnight and really like them.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: seocomp Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  6. beadell

beadell UKBF Newcomer Free Member

451 53
    I too use Fastway. Dont think you will find cheaper. haven't used them for long so cant give a accurate picture of their reliability though. One possible downside depending on how you look at it, is that you have to buy "books" of tickets in advance. We paid out about £300 in one go 20 tickets at £4.95 and 20 at £7.95.

HTH

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: beadell Member since: Feb 15, 2008
  7. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    Speak to the UKBF member Boxby - they'll advise you, from someone in the know.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  8. scooter

scooter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

195 17
    We use Interlink Express for our dliveries all over the uk, it can all be done online as well.

They are quite good and the local depot staff helpful, maybe its because they are all franchised.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: scooter Member since: Dec 3, 2007
  9. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7,357 1,582
    Hi

Thanks.

Re light parcels, we wouldn't be able to offer you the best deal at present, our parcel prices are flat rate, so it's really good if you send big heavy boxes, but with the lighter ones you are better of with a carrier.

For under 2kg, the Post Office are likely to always be the cheapest, for standard post, or recorded. If you would only consider sending things special delivery, then you are looking at about the same price as a carrier.

But with most of the carriers you are going to have to demonstrate a track record, and be able to acheive a minimum spend or quantity. I believe that fastway are different, i have had no experience of them, but I see from the thread that lots of others have. I think there is a mixed review, and the service may depend on the local franchise.

Sorry, i don't know from your thread whether you are already trading, and have a shipping history, but this is the key thing to get. You may have to stick with the post office for a few months in order to get the information you need to negotiate a good contract rate.

You can print off all of the stickers etc off the Royal Mail's website, and order up recorded/special delivery books/stickers which will at least save you time at the post office.

If you need to send any big parcels, give us a shout! Otherwise, good luck!:)

Kind regards
    Sandra

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  10. lesliedocherty

2,201 302
    Hi,

re fastways, just had the worst possible experience with them, first problem and they took 4 days to tell me it was missing, 24 phone calls i made, no-one ever replied to my phone call, they stuck me on hold for 20 minutes then cut me off.
    Eventually the receptionist just said we cant find it, just file a claim.

The parcel, 7 days later is still awol, on monday they said theyd look into it, tuesday it had ben found and sent to the depot, wednesday admitted it hadnt been found and no idea where it was, today still cant find it and they dont care. I phoned the depot about 5 or 6 times every day this week, kept getting hung up on, put on hold and i think i started to bore them with my request to find my box.

The depot manager promised to phone me back in 40 mins, 12 hours later, still no call back.

I then phone fastways head office to complain, they dont have anyone who deals with complaints, theres no-one you can speak to, each depot is a franchise so its up to the depot to sort it, totally absurd.

So i am going back to APC, i used them before with no problem but decided to move to Fastways to save 75p per delivery.

I accept deliveries go missing but its how it is dealt with that saves the deal, this was the worst customer service i have ever had, and can only say i will always urge people NOT to use Fastways ever again.

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  11. Brightpearl

Brightpearl UKBF Newcomer Full Member

302 27
    Yup, we have a client (www.lushlongboards.com) that has tried every courier in the book over the past 8 years. It's by no means a static relationship - always hunt around and find the best price/service ... but APC seems to come out on top every time.

Chris

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 By: Brightpearl Member since: Jan 23, 2008
  12. prefab

prefab UKBF Newcomer Free Member

25 3
    We use Fastways (£1000-£1200 a week average), we have a very good relationship with our franchisee (as we should spending that much) but if something goes missing it can be a bit of an ordeal as highlighted above. Our primary reason for using them is that we can ship up to 40kg through them.

Our biggest single issue with them is their use of Business Post for out of franchise areas. They are complete and utter tosh and 99% of all breakages and losses occur with Business Post. Do not under any circumstances deal with Business Post they really are crap.

Perhaps it's about time we sniffed out another carrier, we certainly have a proven track record and no doubt someone would be interested in getting £50k a year off us.

What puts us off moving to another carrier (other than the weight issue) is that we do not have time to be logging dispatch on to their online systems, it would be far too time consuming. We're essentially a 2 man band doing a lot of turnover and have fallen into the trap of not having time to dedicate to these kinds of thing, we know it would be beneficial to us but the initial time expenditure required puts us off.

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 By: prefab Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  13. lesliedocherty

2,201 302
    Hi,

When they are out of Fastways area, i am getting a 3-4 day delivery time instead of next day, and your right the service at that end falls down, most missing parcels are when they have passed it on to someone else.

But i am still fuming that no-one called me and still havent called me back.

I am mostly annoyed that i was LIED to, ignored, and hung up on, i am spitting fire that a franchisee who work for themselves behaves in this manner.
    Spoke to APC this morning and they have come down on price so pretty much on par for the nationals now.

Lesson, is cheaper comes with a poor service, no follow up, pay the extra and get a better service level with APC.

http://www.apc-overnight.com/index.php

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  14. beadell

451 53
    What are APC's charges ? Just in case it all goes wrong with fastway

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 By: beadell Member since: Feb 15, 2008
  15. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    we use fastway for local delivery, they are good & the loacl owner is a pleasure to do business with

we used to put all our business through them but buying the tickest/labels in advance was hurting our cashflow a little

for the rest we use parcel force who have been 100% over the last 2 months.

for pricing - we found if you shop around & leave it they come back to you a few weeks later with a better price

APC we got down to £5.48 + Vat for upto 5kg - we would have used them but they never got back to us once the account went live & couldnt log into the service to use it - no matter how many times we nagged em

Parcel force are good as they dropped from £5.60 to £5.10 with no vat to pay & they carry upto 30kg.
    The Euro prices are good too.

we did use Interlink who were great but when parcels went missing it was impossible to get compensated as they really make you jump through some hoops - costing more in time than the goods were worth.

hope that helps

Posted: Feb 24, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  16. Fuzzy

Fuzzy UKBF Legend Free Member

5,365 506
    Try Boxby on here, I have always found her very helpful.:D

Posted: Feb 24, 2008 By: Fuzzy Member since: Oct 20, 2007
  17. beadell

451 53
    If you dont mind me asking how many parcels are you sending a week to get that rate?

Cheers

Adrian

Posted: Feb 25, 2008 By: beadell Member since: Feb 15, 2008
  18. pcc

pcc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

38 3
    Another vote for APC - always excellent for us.

Posted: Feb 25, 2008 By: pcc Member since: Jan 30, 2008
  19. lesliedocherty

2,201 302
    Hi,

I still had some Fastway Tickets to use up, so used them again last thursday, and guess what they have lost it again, spoke to the depot, they have no idea where it is, the online tracking system is not up and running yet.

I got 1 call back wich was amazing, in fairness though i gave the guy a hard time about no previous call back.

So the moral is, not just an isolated incident, Fastway lose boxes on a regular basis and have no idea where they go, not hte best company to deal with.

Since using APC again, every box sent out has arrived next day, and they always answer the phone, not rocket science

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  20. Steve2507

Steve2507 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,556 222
    Sounds stupid, but Royal Mail.

The biggest reason we use them is because they have collection offices everywhere. Going with a traditional courier can cause problems if customers are not in when they call (especially if you want a signature).

We send everything by recorded delivery or special delivery and have a far better not called for rate with them than with any of the couriers we have tested.

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 By: Steve2507 Member since: Jun 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.