Best Courier

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by stuart.dawes, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    we told them it was 50 parcels a week on a 48 hr delivery
    they charge slightly more for 24 but we never use it

G

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  2. shonabilly25th

shonabilly25th UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Fastway are having all sorts of problems just now. My Fastway driver advised me not to send anything nationally as its a shambles. The Glasgow depot has just moved, and nationally they have changed, or are changing, their onward carrier (if its outside a Fastway region they use DHL or something). Every one of the 30+ drivers in the Glasgow depot has lost more than one parcel.

Like the woman who posted before, I cant get them on the phone. Nightmare. Their tracking system doesnt work either.

Real pity because I have used them for a few months with no problems. Really cheap, and up till now a great service.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: shonabilly25th Member since: Sep 23, 2007
  3. Steve2507

Steve2507 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,556 222
    And there is the lesson for today. Maybe cheap isn't always best.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: Steve2507 Member since: Jun 9, 2006
  4. prefab

prefab UKBF Newcomer Free Member

25 3
    They use Business Post currently for non-franchise areas and they are abysmal - No idea who they are switching to.

Had a problem with the Edinburgh depot the other week (a fastways area), they just dumped our package (electrical appliance) behind the customers greenhouse and faked a POD. Needless to say we were less than happy and let them know.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: prefab Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  5. AdvantageMedia

AdvantageMedia UKBF Newcomer Full Member

144 8
    Hi, We used to use Target Express who were absolutely fantastic (and believe me, over the years we have used them all! TNT, ANC, Business Post, etc) they were last year I think (?) bought out by City Link.

This initially led to some serious service failures but have actually turned them around and become a major partner in our business.

They call us if there is an issue, they call customers if they cant deliver, they are very reasonably priced.

Yes they have lost the odd parcel, and failed the odd delivery but when you send in excess of 750 consignments a week they are very, very good.

Accepted almost all couriers are as good as there worst driver! But I would suggest giving them a try!

Let me know if you do how you get on with them.

Regards

Darren

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: AdvantageMedia Member since: Feb 19, 2008
  6. AdvantageMedia

AdvantageMedia UKBF Newcomer Full Member

144 8
    We have used Fastway for local deliveries when our drivers are too busy. I would say they are quite good and competitive but have heard horror stories on the further afield deliveries...they farm it out...NOT GOOD!

Regards

Darren

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: AdvantageMedia Member since: Feb 19, 2008
  7. scaifea

scaifea Banned

17 2
    CityLink always worked well for me!

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: scaifea Member since: Mar 3, 2008
  8. shonabilly25th

8 0
    Another update from my local Fastway franchise holder.

It seems that they dont have any onward carrier at the moment so if you are sending, or have sent, a package to a non-fastway region your screwed. My guy will only take deliveries now if they are in the Fastway region.

This is really frustrating because, up until now, Fastway had levelled the playing field for a lot of small businesses. You didnt have to send 100+ parcels a week to get a decent rate, you just paid for your book and got a cheap rate.

Ive not totally given up on them yet, I really hope they sort things out.

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: shonabilly25th Member since: Sep 23, 2007
  9. prefab

25 3
    Are you sure about this? As we're a pretty big client of theirs and we've heard nothing of the sort.

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: prefab Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  10. shonabilly25th

8 0
    I can only go on what he has told me. Ive a really good relationship with him, and cant really see him lying about this, especially when its costing him money in lost business.

It just doesnt stack up that he would make this up. It is damaging his reputation, and his wages. He came to the office this morning and took our local and national Fastway region packages, but wouldnt take the non-fastway region parcels.

I dont think they are advertising the fact right enough..........

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: shonabilly25th Member since: Sep 23, 2007
  11. prefab

25 3
    Ok, thanks for replying. It's just our lad has been this morning and picked up (including non-fastways areas) without a word. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if that's the case.

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: prefab Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  12. shonabilly25th

8 0
    Just a wee update. Not had any non-fastway region parcels picked up for about 3 weeks now, which is obviously had a terrible hit on my business. Shicking really that a parcel company (who you have paid up front) will not deliver your parcels. Furious.

My franchise holder has chucked it due to the hassle and lost business. Cant say I'll miss them.

Ive negotiated a very decent deal with DHL who I will be sticking with.

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 By: shonabilly25th Member since: Sep 23, 2007
  13. prefab

25 3
    This is clearly a regional thing as we've had no problems. I've been led to believe that non-fastways contracts are negotiated at that level. Hope you get over your setback and DHL do the business for you.

cheers

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 By: prefab Member since: Feb 5, 2008
  14. mydogisthebest

mydogisthebest UKBF Newcomer Free Member

166 9

Hi, I don't know if this helps, I am an avid e-bayer and seller, I use these couriers www.ukdelivery4u.co.uk they are one fixed price which helps.

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 By: mydogisthebest Member since: Sep 27, 2008
  15. MH1

MH1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,585 488
    Just under £13 per parcel!!!!!!!

Should be under half that.

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 By: MH1 Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  16. Andy27UK

Andy27UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

101 0
    I've just brushed over the previous posts... but FASTWAYS are a JOKE! Of course i can't speak for all depot's but the AYLESFORD DEPOT in particular, absolutley uselss. :mad:

I wont go into it as there is another threadon this forum already i added to. Just run a search and read from many out of pocket customers they have....

For a couple of heavy (too heavy for royal mail) parcels a day use www.parcel2go.com

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 By: Andy27UK Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  17. davidjgoss87

davidjgoss87 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

117 11
    It depends largely on your local area - I for instance know that the Business Post staff and service in the Devon area are nothing short of diabolical, and you are better off with a carrier pigeon. Ask local mail order businesses what they do and what they've learned - established businesses will probably have tried a few over the years. As a general point, if you are starting off then avoiding the big carriers might be a good idea. I wanted to switch from Business Post a year ago and emailed 5 big companies - only Parcelforce even bothered to reply, so they got the contract. The big boys don't care about small clients and probably won't be very helpful if you have problems. I have had no problems with Parcelforce so far, and their online booking and label system is good. Lastly, don't bother talking to TNT because they don't deliver to residential addresses.

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 By: davidjgoss87 Member since: Apr 20, 2008
  18. sapphal

sapphal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 0
    I've been using Fastways for about 12 months and only had one or two problems - seems to depend on the individual franchisees. But recently they've hiked their prices and in our case applied the minimum throughput rules which is annoying because they've done it on retro figures and not our current throughput. That's where the problems start - their customer service is atrocious. We're going to give parcel2go a try in the new year.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 By: sapphal Member since: Dec 19, 2008
  19. faststaff

faststaff UKBF Newcomer Free Member

247 34
    We act as a reseller for a number of the national carriers, and I've got to say, on the whole the level of service we get varies by region. I tend to put most of our work through UPS as I find their service levels are the best, and most of all, they actually deal with issues as they arise.

The real annoying thing is when you can't get anyone to answer your enquiry, or they simply refuse to be honest! There is one very large company who I just absolutely refuse to deal with because of this.

Rich

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 By: faststaff Member since: Nov 8, 2008
  20. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    Noticed recently some big changes with fastway
    they use parcelforce for the areas they dont cover.

Our local guy - who was excellent sold his francise & bought another with DPD, basically he told us he had a few concerns and needed more work

we stopped using em about 6 months ago & although looking for a cheaper deal didnt feel comfortable with buying tickets in advance - for 3 different services - just incase they went bust

G

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.