Best accountancy software these days ?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Talay, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Energise Accounting

Energise Accounting UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

995 164
    We use Xero for all our pub clients. The rest who don't need all the bells and whistles we use Reckon One.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: Energise Accounting Member since: Sep 24, 2014
  2. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,248 215
    When are people going to get real. There is no BEST.
    It all depends on what your business IS and what your business DOES.

Software evaluation starts with a business needs analysis. It then moves to a market place analysis.

Once you know what you need, you can evaluate that against what is available in the market place.

Accounting software is just database storage with special algorithms. It causes you to categorise data and then processes that data against a set of rules. It's not magic.

A business that needs bulk invoicing does not have the same needs as a business that produces 5 invoice per month. A business that processes sales in multiple currencies does not have the same needs as a domestic sales company.

No accountancy software package fits all needs. Analyse what you need and want, Starting from the right place will lead you through an easier route to the place you need to be.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  3. johndon68

johndon68 UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,392 618
    I've said the same a couple of times in the past but, rarely, in these sort of threads, are the details given by the OP sufficient to give a specific recommendation...

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: johndon68 Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Helpful Johnny

Helpful Johnny UKBF Contributor Free Member

95 18
    Obviously in the same way as "What's the best colour" everyone will have an opinion and suggestion. With the information to hand from the OP, being able to make a couple of suggestions of the most common accountancy platforms with a few snippets of wisdom or experience makes complete sense.

To complete a needs based assessment in a forum environment would be difficult and time consuming. In the same way when I go into a craft beer pub, the bar person may make a suggestion based on experience.

It will also clearly not be to everyones tastes, but likewise I wouldn't expect to have to complete a tastes based feedback card, must have and nice to have requirements in my drink, pint sandbox environment to taste test before committing.. I just want a pint which might be nice which they know is popular.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  5. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,248 215
    Hi Johnny. I'm not suggesting that the responses are at fault. I'm suggesting that the question should never have been posed, at least not in the way it was posed.

The only way a businessman is able to assess the relevance of software, or any other asset, to his business is to assess the business need. And then, test the offerings in the market place. If the businessman does not feel competent to assess the need, or the relevance of products, relating to the business in question (not unusual, given that no-one can be an expert in everything) an expert should be consulted.

A broad question of - "Hey guys, what's the best" is never going to return a quality response.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  6. Energise Accounting

995 164
    @ffox is correct you use a software that suits your business. Like i posted earlier we use Xero and Reckon One that pretty much has every base covered.

You would have to give someone your exact requirements in order for a decent recommendation.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 By: Energise Accounting Member since: Sep 24, 2014
  7. Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin UKBF Regular Free Member

168 44
    That is why I recommend Xero as the 5 versions of the software can basically cover everyone from basic ledger addition right up to the premium mutli currency version

Most of the others only have 2 offerings so you end paying for features you don't need or they are too basic. But as pointed out unless the OP gives more details of what he will be doing and what he wants from the software it difficult to give a more definitive response.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 By: Glenn Martin Member since: Oct 1, 2015
  8. Talay

Talay UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,780 787
    OK, I thought I'd given enough but seemingly not. I'll elaborate.

Though we'll trial with one, (ideally) we will need it to cover up to 10 companies, some with multiple bank accounts.

Download and reconcile bank accounts.

Cope with upcoming MTD VAT returns.

Do some heavy lifting for year end accounting.

Track suppliers and invoices and give data on spend etc. Currently done in Excel, pivots, VBA etc.

Possibly handle payroll, holidays, etc. If not a core function, available as an add on ? Paying a per person payroll fee is a pet hate of mine :mad:

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  9. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,700 2,354
    In my opinion it's very much a credible alternative and I really wouldn't recommend it here or to my firms clients if I had any concerns. I've used it myself for a long time. It's a good system.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  10. Energise Accounting

995 164
    Accounts Portal is good software the reason i don't use it is because you cannot use add-on's like Auto Entry, which is a shame as it is reasonably priced.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Energise Accounting Member since: Sep 24, 2014
  11. Helpful Johnny

95 18
    Each to there own opinion but the facts speak for themselves, Accounts Portal is not in the same league as even Sage Business Cloud Start let alone real products like QBO or Xero.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  12. Helpful Johnny

95 18
    Xero and QBO both have cheaper products? With a heritage...

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  13. Flankaaa

Flankaaa UKBF Contributor Free Member

36 2
    I think that the best way to proceed is to discuss this topic with your accountants. I am sure that they will give you the best advice for a solution that also doesn’t cost much, as there are such programs

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: Flankaaa Member since: Dec 23, 2018
  14. Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin UKBF Regular Free Member

168 44
    If you need software for 10 companies on a subscription basis which most are now that is not going to be cheap. Xero has a facility to work company to company which saves duplication

I am sure if you approach your accountant or Xero that you need a licence for 10 companies I am sure there is a deal to be done on the cost of it all.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 By: Glenn Martin Member since: Oct 1, 2015
  15. Talay

Talay UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,780 787
    Accountant recommends Sage desktop or Xero cloud but doesn't have affiliation with Xero.

Talking to Xero some halfwit couldn't get past the concept of 10 x £xx = too bloody much and a £5 a month discount wasn't in the ballpark.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  16. Helpful Johnny

95 18
    If price is your number one criteria, you can't see past that and your accountant recommends Sage still, then Sage desktop sounds like your match.

Xero staff are not halfwits. Could it perhaps be that they value their product more than Sage and maybe, with the greatest respect, you're the halfwit for not seeing that?

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  17. FD Capital

FD Capital UKBF Contributor Full Member

47 8
    A great benefit of Sage is that almost every accountant and accounts staff member is at least somewhat familiar with it. So as you grow and get to the point of recruiting your own staff you will find if very easy to recruit people who already know how to use it (and probably better than you do!)

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: FD Capital Member since: Mar 4, 2019
  18. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,764 3,427
    Health warning - these are just my opinions!

Best for micro-business one-man-bands, dead-simple but no payroll - Simply Books (but you will have to add a MTD bridge).

Best free package cloud for SMEs - QuickFile and Bokio.

Best adult package on subscription with everything a real company needs - Xero (but only the full version for £24 p.m.)

Best adult free package that does absolutely everything (a real double-entry accounting package with payroll, multiple currencies, banking interface, P&L, charts, etc.) but you have to configure it yourself and actually use your brain - GnuCash (but you will have to add a MTD bridge).

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  19. Helpful Johnny

95 18
    Most accountants I meet now actively try to move clients away from Sage to either Xero and QBO. The last two business shows I have attended have only mentioned Sage in terms of how easy would it be to migrate away from them...

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  20. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,764 3,427
    Life is just too short to try to struggle with all the problems Sage creates!

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013