Best accountancy software these days ?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Talay, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Talay

Talay UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,773 787
    I outsourced my payrolls, accountancy function, tax advice, etc. but kept my VAT returns in house, largely as they are so easy and my accountants wanted what I thought were excessive amounts for what is literally minutes of work.

However, with the need to file VAT electronically from next month and my being somewhat disenchanted with my payroll provision, I am considering bringing some or all of this back in house and simply using accountants for year end accounts etc.

I previously trialled Xero and Kashflow and found them clunky with Kashflow actually sending the wrong XML down to to HMRC via RTI once.

I like the idea of downloading all the bank accounts but currently, I don't bother with any receipts or invoices which are all stored digitally but manually entered into an ever expanding Excel file. Robust though it is, we are probably past the point where it makes sense to do it this way.

Our tax year end for most companies is 31/03/19 so we have some time but I would like to evaluate now.

It would make sense if the software directly or via linkage could also produce payroll and hold staff holiday details. Not a deal breaker but a nice to have.

Posted: Jan 28, 2019 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  2. sherbetdipdab

sherbetdipdab UKBF Regular Free Member

102 14
    Following. We are moving from sage to Xero.

Posted: Jan 28, 2019 By: sherbetdipdab Member since: Jan 20, 2019
  3. ecommerce84

ecommerce84 UKBF Regular Free Member

499 139
    Also following. I’m looking to transition from spreadsheet to something more capable as my business is expanding.

Xero is currently leading it for me. Although I’d be particularly interested in software that isn’t Sage and doesn’t require a monthly subscription.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 By: ecommerce84 Member since: Feb 24, 2007
  4. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,650 2,347
    @Talay you've got a huge amount of choice.

Have you spoken to your accountants to see if they can recommend something suitable? They may also be able to pass on discounts they get.

I personally use Accounts Portal and that's the one I recommend to nearly all of my firms clients. We get a discount on it which we pass to our clients too.

It's difficult to recommend something which is ideally suited to you without knowing your exact requirements and what business you run but I'd certainly take a look at Accounts Portal, the bank import works well.

For payroll we use Moneysoft for clients payrolls and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to run a payroll themselves.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  5. @aiteoconsulting

@aiteoconsulting UKBF Regular Full Member

402 100
    It is getting increasingly difficult to find software at the small business end that isn't subscription based. Quickbooks Online (which is subscription-based) is worth a look - personally my favourite of that level, with (in my opinion) better reporting than Xero. QBO does offer payroll though not to my knowledge staff holidays. Also look at something like AutoEntry for invoice scanning.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 By: @aiteoconsulting Member since: Sep 15, 2015
  6. Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin UKBF Regular Free Member

168 44
    I would revisit Xero if i were you I have tested them all and find Xero is the best. Kashflow is not very good at all and would stay clear of.

Quickbooks is maybe worth a look at if you are comparing what works best for you.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 By: Glenn Martin Member since: Oct 1, 2015
  7. Higgsy

Higgsy UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 11
    I am a fan of Xero. Find it simple to use and my accountant is competent with it too. I recommend finding out which one your accountant prefers, this saves hassle should you make mistakes/need help.

However, I rarely need assistance with Xero as it is so easy to use.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 By: Higgsy Member since: Oct 1, 2018
  8. Haindiary

Haindiary UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    Xero Accounting Software is sold as the ultimate alternative to QuickBooks, It is a tool that gives you an idea of your cash flow in real time, as well as various other modules and tools so that you can control your finances.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 By: Haindiary Member since: Jan 14, 2019
  9. Ahead Solutions

Ahead Solutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I am happy to use Sage and a monthly fee is not putting me off, what is scaring me is will Sage be able to allow me to file directly with HMRC. I have not purchased Sage yet as I will be running the accounts instead of an accountant.

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 By: Ahead Solutions Member since: Feb 1, 2019
  10. johndon68

johndon68 UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,386 618
    Assuming you are talking about Sage 50, there is an MTD submission module for Sage but it will cost you extra.

If you will be using Sage Business Cloud then the MTD module is built in.

John

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 By: johndon68 Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  11. Ahead Solutions

Ahead Solutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi John
    Yes I was referring to Sage 50, we only a small business with my husband and myself. Husband generates the invoices and I am the accountant/secretary
    Zeenit

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 By: Ahead Solutions Member since: Feb 1, 2019
  12. Talay

3,773 787
    Why ?

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  13. Talay

3,773 787
    I am not fussed about subscription and everything costs so that isn't an issue within reason. I just want something intuitive and which works.

When I had Kashflow, the biggest issue was the lack of support. No phone at all, only snail's pace email and then to someone who knew less than I did half the time.

Cheap to buy but expensive in terms of my time to run.

14. Talay

3,773 787
    I could speak to my accountants but as I am considering removing both payroll and then all other accountancy services from them, that might not be the wisest move.

You then talk about a different system for accounts and payroll. Why not an integrated solution ? Why two programs ? why 2 of anything when one should be enough ?

Of course, if one doesn't exist, then you have no option.

15. Talay

3,773 787
    Why do people want or need to have invoice scanning ? Don't all your invoices come electronically ?

16. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,558 759
    Kashflow was bought out by IRIS recently so support levels would have improved under the IRIS brand.

IRIS is widely used by Accountancy Practices in the UK

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  17. @aiteoconsulting

@aiteoconsulting UKBF Regular Full Member

402 100
    @Talay , even if invoices typically come in pdf format by email they need to be read to be turned into data that accounting platforms will accept.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: @aiteoconsulting Member since: Sep 15, 2015
  18. Helpful Johnny

Helpful Johnny UKBF Contributor Free Member

86 15
    Mostly they do and for ones that don't I have no bother as I'd snap a photo with my mobile. The benefit of AutoEntry, Receipt Bank or any other myriad of tools is I can forward the PDF directly to my AutoEntry email address and about 30 seconds later it's in Xero, coded against the right nominals with the correct VAT ready to reconcile. No human could ever do it as quickly, accurately or efficiently. Bookkeeping done, next task!

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  19. Helpful Johnny

86 15
    Because they likely see the benefits to managing their business in the cloud. Sage is like a cassette tape in comparison...

20. Helpful Johnny

86 15
    I'd be really concerned about recommending a company like Accounts Portal... no offence intended but a £27k balance sheet seems like someone in their bedroom rather than a credible alternative to QBO or Xero. QuickBooks starts from less than a tenner...