Alcohol & Venue License - Do I Need One?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by bugsy68, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugsy68

bugsy68 UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    i have rented a large car park for the last 5 years off a company for the use of private parking on a major event day each year, i would like to this year have a marquee and sell food and beverages (inc: ALCOHOL) instead and i will apply for a tempory 1 day licence, however if rejected is there away of still running this 1 day business adventure?
    > the space is on private land.
    > is there away around this?....

PLEASE HELP DISPEL MYTHS & INCORRECT INFORMATION

Am i able to sell alcohol on private land without a licence?

Am i able to sell a ticket for admittance at £3.50, and then give a free drink away ie. 1 x £3.50 ticket redeems 1 alcoholic drink?

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 By: bugsy68 Member since: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Borobar

Borobar UKBF Contributor

117 10
    I think your TEN licence may be rejected without being a personal licence holder (to sell alcohol). You can either use an outside bar and charge them for the pitch they would obtain a events licence no problem (this may be better option if planning on selling drafts as you'll need to think about wastage and pump/cooler hire)
    But if you want to run solely yourself then just put yourself through a personal licence it's only a half day course and will cost around £120 (then around 4 week wait for police checking and licence to be granted)

* don't quote me that you need a personal licence as I'm sure I read recently on my council website a non licence holder can apply for up to 2 TEN licences per year.
    Check your local council website but as long as event is at least 6 weeks away you have time to go down whatever road you choose

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 By: Borobar Member since: Mar 19, 2011
  3. Borobar

Borobar UKBF Contributor

117 10
    Ps if quite a big event you will need to submit a business plan to the council and police.... Make sure you cover security well and litter pickets etc to keep them happy. Depending on times think about transport and would this disturb any local businesses or households.... These are all grounds they could reject

4. Borobar

Borobar UKBF Contributor

117 10
    Regards the private land it still don't matter if you were running in your garden and selling you'd still need a licence

5. mikobacomo

mikobacomo UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    The law says you need a license to sell, so I would probably follow what the law has to say.

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 By: mikobacomo Member since: Apr 4, 2011
  6. Borobar

Borobar UKBF Contributor

117 10
    Events licence is pennies (around £30) so no point even thinking of ways around as less effort getting it

7. Splashy

Splashy UKBF Newcomer

58 8
    Hi,

You can apply for a TENS licence without being a DPS or having a Personal License. The TENS is location dependent rather than per person.

You need to include your local council and Police licensing department at a very early stage otherwise the chances of you getting a TENS is nil.

They may object to free drinks promotions, so avoid. It seems this event is linked to vehicles therefore they will also want to make sure that you risk assess the likelihood of drink driving from your event. If you have quite a few hundred members of the public attend they will want SIA accredited security or stewards, or both.

Its not difficult to do and not expensive compared to the income you will generate, however, try to hide or cut corners and you will be prosecuted and then try to get a TENS next year!

Its worth investing the time to sit down with the council and understand the requirements.

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 By: Splashy Member since: Nov 7, 2010
  8. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Legend

1,451 284
    Sub it out to a bar/catering co and take a cut of the turnover! just my two penneths;)

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  9. nmsptyltd

nmsptyltd UKBF Newcomer

15 1
    forgot to mention, don't sell alcohol to underaged civilians :rolleyes:

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 By: nmsptyltd Member since: Apr 7, 2011
  10. jmc12345

jmc12345 UKBF Newcomer

20 1
    Hi,
    Just read the thread, I amazed at the advice people give to others. When you intend to sell alcohol the laws are very strict and complicated. I understand that it is expensive to seek advice from experts, however I thought that's what these forum sites are for.

My advice to members out there is please do no try to give advice to other members about alcohol licenses.

To answer your question: Under current licensing laws, the only person who can stop a TEN's licence is the police. The local council office just processes the administration of them.

So, heres what you do; write out a brief business plan doing a SWOT analysis, asking these 4 questions 1: How can we prevent crime & disorder happening at the event. 2: How can we maintain Public Safety 3: How can we prevent public nuisance (this is mainly about noise, litter, waste ) and 4: How can we protect children (stops under 18's from obtaining alcohol). Then make an appointment to see the police licensing office and discuss it with him. He may say no or may make further recommendations. If he says yes as long as you are 18 and pay the £21 to the licensing office, the event is yours. If you do not have a Personal Licence then you may only organise 5 of these events under a TEN's licence per calendar year. If you do have a Personal Licence then you may have 50 a year, however you can only use the same address 12 times.
    Hope this helps! good luck

Posted: May 24, 2011 By: jmc12345 Member since: Aug 8, 2009
  11. kulture

kulture Moderator
    Business Member

8,360 2,360
    You forgot to mention that the event can have no more than 500 people, including organisers, staff and people attending. If the event is going to have more than 500 people attending at one time then a TEN is not suitable.

Posted: May 25, 2011 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  12. kulture

kulture Moderator
    Business Member

8,360 2,360
  13. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Banned

334 31
    Licensing laws of the United Kingdom regulate the sale and consumption of alcohol, with separate legislation for England and Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland being passed, as necessary, by the UK parliament, the Northern Ireland Assembly, and the Scottish Parliament respectively.

Given below source helps you.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_licensing_laws_of_the_United_Kingdom

Posted: May 25, 2011 By: jhardy2008 Member since: Jul 2, 2010
  14. jmc12345

jmc12345 UKBF Newcomer

20 1
    Kulture, It's actually 499 not 500

Posted: May 25, 2011 By: jmc12345 Member since: Aug 8, 2009
  15. jmc12345

jmc12345 UKBF Newcomer

20 1
    kulture
    I didn't forget to mention it at all.
    If the event is for more than 499 (including all staff, entertainers etc) then you cannot apply for a TEN's to cover this type of event. This topic was covered earlier in the thread. For event for more than 499 people it will require a full Premises Licence application even if the event is only for one day.

What I did forget to mention was that I do not tout for business, I asked one of the forum members to contact me via private message as he may not want to discuss his personal business details in public. Albeit I have informed him I would prefer him to openly discuss it on the forum so others can benefit from it.

What may appear to be a shock for you is that there are some business professionals that out there that really do offer advice for FREE. Not all of us are in the market to extract money from people. As you can see that I have not posted my website details like you did!!!!! So, either accept my constructive comments and apologise or go back to making and selling your toys and stop trying to be Jack the lad!!

jhardy, I wouldn't advice anyone to look for information on wikipedia. kulture is correct when he states the information is inside the dcms office website (or culture). The Home Office website also contains lots of correct information.

16. kulture

kulture Moderator
    Business Member

8,360 2,360
    LOL there is no need to be abusive. You have gone out of your way to be abusive, and get personal. Why?

17. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

15,792 6,840
    As they say in Liverpool (well as that Famous Sterotyped Character said) "calm down calm down everyone" :)

Posted: May 25, 2011 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. jmc12345

jmc12345 UKBF Newcomer

20 1
    Why do you call it abusive? Why do people use a strong word like abuse? It is not abusive at all. You were making incorrect remarks and statements so I told you. That's certainly not abuse. I just don't suffer fools gladly!!

19. kulture

kulture Moderator
    Business Member

8,360 2,360
    OK, so you want details. I suggest you read this thread again. No-where in it until I meantioned it, did it say that there was a limit to the number of people to less than 500. (and yes I did actually say no more than 500 so was wrong by 1).

Then you went on to get personal and suggested that I was "jack the lad" and told me to go back to selling toys. A completely uncalled for comment totally unrelated to the thread or my single contribution to the thread.

20. Podge

Podge UKBF Legend

1,154 367
    I'm afraid I'd have to go with Kulture on this one, I also thought your post abusive of him/her.

It looks to me like you had thrown your dummy out of the pram because he mentioned something you had omitted.

The question of attendees had not, as you intimated, been raised earlier in the thread.

The jibe about plugging his website in his sig was uncalled for as was your comment about going back to selling his toys.

Of course nobody likes to see wrong information being offered but in this instance that wasn't the case and I think an apology is in order.

Posted: May 25, 2011 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.