Yell's new "Connect" offering SEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwareguy

Free Member
May 22, 2012
Hi,

Does anybody have any thoughts or experiences on Yell's new offering "Connect".

A standalone product to improve search engine rankings...

they consolidate and reconcile different information about your website and business across lots of different search databases.

Things that give me pause:-

1) Their reputation online (terrible).
2) Their claim to be Google's biggest 'partner' in the UK.
3) The fact that they're ringing me up instead of the other way around...
etc

NewGardenStyle

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Yell seem to be grabbing at straws since their core business fell off the proverbial cliff. I'd treat any of their claims with a couple of tonnes of salt. Particularly their claim of being 'Google's biggest partner in the UK'. Are they implying they have some kind of insider information to help rank your website?

Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    This is an inevitability when you get SEO experts saying you have numerous citations to boost Local rankings.

One central database feeding 100 different websites = 100 good citations.

I think Google will be wise to things like that.

Apologies for quoting own post, but just received an email regarding this.

Not from Yell, one of the other lot.

With one click we can get business submitted to 500+ directories

As I said, this was inevitably going to happen once SEO Experts started saying getting lots of citations will help local rankings

Upvote 0

Court Jester

Free Member
    Jan 23, 2016
    getting lots of citations will help local rankings

So, Yell wants £360 to:

Yell says:

we’ll send your updates to all the local listing sites

which local sites, free low-ranked/uncertain quality blogs etc? why am I feeling like I'm about to become a grilled fishy :rolleyes: but its says 'from £30 per month' now that suggests the fee is much more, wow.

Has anyone got experience of connect and what it did for them?

Upvote 0

Court Jester

Free Member
    Jan 23, 2016
    everywhere that matters online

so they do this how exactly - interview every damn biz owner in the uk? then do the huge promotion required to get the results, and all for £360? this is an insane service offering that cant be workable, even for Yell.com.

Be great to see the stats on this and to know the numbers of sign-ups to this Connect seo.

Upvote 0
    The world would be a better place if the selling of SEO as a service was not legal, then people would produce websites that serve their customer and build their reputation to achieve status in Google.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding of what good marketers try to do in this space vs the spammers (too many incompetent, spammy SEO companies sadly), and Google's intentions are generally in line with what a good business should be doing. To keep on topic here let's look at citations:

Local Citations And How They Come About

Bear in mind these citation sites (yell, yelp, google my business...) are out there anyway, and are trying to list as many businesses as they can. That's how they get in business - list lots of businesses, encourage businesses to claim their listings and then try to sell them advertising and premium listings.

Unfortunately businesses move, some central data is incorrect etc. It's pretty clear that Google's algorithms don't reward businesses who have piles of incorrect citations all over the web. Whatever their reason internally, a good business owner should fix all of these as say if someone finds you on Yelp, comes to your store, and finds it's not where you are anymore... that's not good for the customer.

So fixing all your citations (not adding hundreds of rubbish ones on sites nobody visits...) does help with your performance in local search, but it's not just something you'd do for that purpose, it's good business practice.

I don't really see banning people from helping businesses undertake good business practice as a good thing.

One Feed To Rule Them All

On the 'feeds' issue there are a number that are available, and it's true that most services simply update the name, address, and phone to the correct ones instantly for some fee. (Take a look at things like Moz Local). The reason I don't use any of them exclusively on a citation fix up is that 1. it's not that hard to do manually - I even have a free course on Tech Function magazine that shows the various steps - and 2. you get additional benefits from doing it manually.

Case Study - Those Citations Are Useful If They Look Pretty!

Take a recent client of mine in Philadelphia. We update all the listings with photos, custom descriptions, and keywords/categories optimised to the rules of the individual listings platforms (not just piling the same ones in on all platforms on a central database - though fixing central databases is also important so incorrect feed data doesn't just overwrite at some point).

After adding all the photos and rich content 1/3 of his sales come from Yelp callers now. That can't be achieved by just having the listing 'correct', the jump came after we made it all look pretty etc. Again you can do it yourself but for those that don't want to I don't see how banning people from helping would be a good idea. Especially when you think most of my clients have come to one of my seminars and courses that show them how, and they'd still rather have someone 'just do it' for them while they do their business activities.

Not All SEO Is Bad - But Make Sure It Makes Business Sense To Do 'X' Activity

The same is true across almost any aspect of SEO. There are some bad outcomes when weak companies and scammers take something that 'works' and just do it at scale until it doesn't anymore. But there are good business reasons for doing a lot of things that also boost search performance.

When I speak at events I always say that if your marketing firm can't give you good business reasons for doing things, beyond 'it'll move rankings' then most of the time (not always of course - some technical stuff is just... useful... no matter what) it's not something you want to be doing. It's like a little red flag that it might be pushing the envelope too far.

Upvote 0

Tom Robinson

Free Member
    Nov 23, 2016
    OK, so I've spent the best part of 45 minutes on the phone to a yell sales rep, now from what I gather you can go on yell connect and get your score for free, it also kindly gives you the links to the sites where your information maybe incorrect, now if you're computer savvy'ish and have the time and inclination to do this what I would do is; go down this yell connect list and claim and correct all my business listings while adding myself on the sites you are not listed on. as far as the whole social media dashboard, why not add yourself to these social media sites and download 'buffer' (social media dashboard) for free?!

The only reason I did some research into this is because £360 per year seems a tad extortionate for something that can be relatively easy to do yourself, now I appreciate that connect will save a massive amount of time and if youre really busy and don't have the time and can afford to pay £360 then fair play, but honestly once you put the initial time investment in yourself youre not tied to any contract and you have paid nothing out

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Or even better, don't bother at all with Yell.

Reactions: Ute Eden
    Upvote 0
    but honestly once you put the initial time investment in yourself youre not tied to any contract and you have paid nothing out

Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Whether you pay by time or money, it's worthless...

Upvote 0

Luc Durand

Free Member
    Nov 11, 2016
    I wouldn't bother with paying. Stick with listing your business in key directories such as yelp, google my business, bing places for business, thomson local and a few others. Make sure they are as complete as possible (especially GMB). Use schema for your NAP on your own site and monitor your citation consistency across the web. That's it. Many agencies offer citation services as it is an easy money maker for them and don't care much about business owners. I would recommend you get this sorted out and focus on getting local links. THAT will make a real difference.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
    ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu