Why are they requsting an invite but then not emailing?

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by UKSBD, Oct 3, 2019.

1. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,310 1,741
    I've been getting too many new registrations in my directory, want to cut them right down, so made registrations invite only.

It's had the desired affect of cutting new registrations down from about 80 a day to about 40 invite requests through a form but I still didn't want it to be that easy.

Rather than them filling in the form for an invite then receiving one, after filling in the form they are taken to a page that asks them to email me.

This is the form that about 40 people a day are filling in - https://www.uksmallbusinessdirectory.co.uk/advertising/invite.php

After filling it in though, out of that 40, only about 10 go on to email me.
    (To see how the process works feel free to fill in the form with a fake email address)

Anyone have any ideas why so few don't complete the process, is it that people just don't like emailing and prefer forms, or anything else obviously causing it?

Edit to add: note, I'm not trying to make it easier for people to register or wanting more to, just intrigued as to why people do the longest part then don't finish the process.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  2. saythisinstead.co.uk

saythisinstead.co.uk UKBF Regular Free Member

131 24
    You've managed to get them to click on something to take them to your invite/form/page.

You need to resell your proposition on this page. You'll need a headline, a sub head and some sales copy if you want them to go all the way through this stage.

People these days have the attention span of a goldfish....they need hand holding all the way through...but your job is to encourage them to get all the way through the process.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 By: saythisinstead.co.uk Member since: Nov 30, 2017
  3. UKSBD

9,310 1,741
    They are going though that stage, it's the final very simple bit after that (sending an email) they are not doing.

I'm not trying to get more to complete the form (the opposite in fact), just surprised that they go through the initial stages and then don't bother emailing.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,936 9,070
    What does the email say?

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,936 9,070
    Ignore the above, I've just registered and seen the thank-you page.

If you hadn't described the process in this thread I'd have missed it as well.

The process needs to be simpler. On completion of the application send me a verification email with a link. Clicking the link confirms my application and offers upgrade options.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. UKSBD

9,310 1,741
    Thanks but that almost defeats the object of making it invite only.

The idea really is that I don't want the people who just fill the form in and expect an invite, I want them to actually request one.

I know there's an email on the next page so probably see it straight away, others obviously don't.

I'll try making the email link on the final page a lot clearer and see if that makes any difference.

7. UKSBD

9,310 1,741
    I think I need to change wording on earlier stages too, as all 3 stages are Request Invite :-(

I think it needs to be register, request, confirm (or similar)