Which Social Media

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by jibbajabba, Jan 30, 2018.

1. jibbajabba

jibbajabba UKBF Contributor Free Member

Reading all the blogs and advice and "they" say pick one or two platforms and do them well.
    I mostley use facebook, enjoy insta, try pinterest and never use twitter or snapchat or any of the others. I currently use Hootsuite but other that fbook an insta its a box tick.
    Which social media should I concentrate my efforts on?

My target customer is is female, 2 kids, age 25 - 35 income between 25k and 45k living in a densely populated city and lives in a flat. Likes traditional toys like wooden and long lasting.

Im floating for facebook but it's expensive so want to get the best value. What do you suggest?

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: jibbajabba Member since: Dec 29, 2017
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

SM works best if you get other people to promoter your stuff. Wooden toys are ideal for Instagram - but you want your fans to upload the images for you. Which brings up back to your other thread. Get followers and supporters to play with the dolls house and take pictures and post on their FB feeds. Posting on FB won't help. You want other people to post on FB for you.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. g

g UKBF Regular Free Member

Used appropriately, they can all help.
    As can Twitter, which you've not mentioned.

And, as mentioned, having others post about your stuff is beneficial, though something that may not be quick and which you'll need to kickstart yourself.

Social media can be an excellent way to build an 'engaged community'... a very effective alternative to paid-for advertising (which, on social media, is often less worthwhile than hoped).

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: g Member since: Jan 29, 2018
  4. Tandem Systems

Tandem Systems UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The problem with Facebook is that tracking natural activity is quite hard, but it does have a really powerful ad service. Instagram sounds perfect for your TA - as I guarantee from my experience a large portion of them will have it and will post regularly.

Get posting some pictures of your products on solid hashtags and you can gain a pretty quick following, then you can move onto comps and stuff.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Tandem Systems Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  5. Xerxes

Xerxes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Instagram is introducing more functionality for small businesses so that's positive, and it fits with your product and target audience. FB has heaps of functionality in terms of allowing you to post photos, videos, links, tags and it is useful for advertising and promoting posts - but use analytic tools to make sure you're getting value for money.

I'd also be looking for some key influencers of your target audience - people on FB or Insta who have a significant following and then engage with them - if possible approach them and ask if they'd be willing to review your products - if they agree, they'll post their own pics of your products to their followers.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Xerxes Member since: Jan 29, 2018
  6. jibbajabba

This is what I was thinking overall, have a presence on everything and see which the customers use then focus on that one or two. I'm building the story website you suggested at the moment just need to get the product back for the visuals.

the hashtags is a great idea, any advice on choosing the right/most appropriate ones?

We have a list of people to approach shortly and just trying to build up a few things before we approach them.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: jibbajabba Member since: Dec 29, 2017
  7. Mr Singh

Mr Singh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

From my experience I think FB worked really well for me as you can target people age and region wise.
    You can always check how is it working on organic and paid search. Then improve your keywords accordingly, which is the most important thing.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Mr Singh Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  8. Richard Glynn

Richard Glynn UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

I think whichever channel you choose - if you're just going to run adverts you might be disappointed with the response. However, if you contribute value and interest to the conversations that matter most - you have a chance.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Richard Glynn Member since: Sep 6, 2005
  9. Marquis Anne

Marquis Anne UKBF Newcomer Free Member

It is true that it is best to start with one platform and do it well. From there, you can add additional platforms based on which are the most popular for your target audience. Instagram indeed has your target audience, especially for your niche market.

In this instance, though, it would probably be a good idea to have a Facebook page as well. this may not necessarily be your key page for attracting new visitors, but the Facebook ads can do some serious magic.

Based on your responses to the other advice, it seems like you're on the right track. You can easily create a funnel campaign by starting with Facebook ads and Instagram ads. From there, secure a few influencers and let them release their ad content.

This will build brand awareness and reintroduce your product to your target market. At this point, it's a good idea to have a giveaway set up with a sponsor of some sort for even more reach and incentive for users to click through.

Your sponsors could be any business that is related to your toys but is not direct competition.

Anyway, all this to say that it's not really about which platform is best. It is more about how your target audience behaves and how well you position yourself in front of them.

Hope this helps!

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Marquis Anne Member since: Feb 1, 2018
  10. KindaichiShota

KindaichiShota UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Try to compare between google ad or fb add. Currently these the most popular marketing process. Although these might be little higher in price but you can also adjust it by selecting the marketing or posting method.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: KindaichiShota Member since: Nov 8, 2017
  11. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

Too many businesses read "You should be on social media", but this statement should always include the caveat: "but only if you know you have the time for it". So many businesses set up the accounts, do a few posts and that's it.

You have to treat it like any form of marketing, it is unlikely to get you an instant return, it could take weeks or months, as you have to build up a reputation.

I have seen so many businesses that have on their website "Follow us on..." and when you go to their social media account they haven't posted for several years... if at all.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  12. Amy Alexander

Amy Alexander UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Completely true that it's better to do one or two platforms well than do all of them poorly.

For your target audience, Facebook is a must but, as others have said, it's hard to get organic reach. Where most businesses fall down with paid advertising on FB is not targeting thoroughly enough which means it can be expensive and low on results. It sounds like you know your audience pretty well so there's no reason it can't work for you! Start small (£5 a day is the budget limit I believe), look at your data and build it from there. Don't be tempted to use the same advert on Facebook as well as Instagram - you'll get much better results if you create one for each.

The other platform I'd suggest for your target audience is Pinterest combined with promoted pins - done well it can be a really powerful platform.

And (finally!) for hashtags try Hashtagify - it's brilliant

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: Amy Alexander Member since: Feb 6, 2018
  13. jibbajabba

I don't know what I would do different for the 2 platforms a visual and a blurb. what would you need to do differntly, is there a different design?

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: jibbajabba Member since: Dec 29, 2017
  14. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

The most number of users would be the best just like Facebook and Twitte. Establish your brand first and provide benefits to the audience.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  15. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

Have you tried WhatsApp business account. Personally did not try it.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  16. VD Media

VD Media UKBF Newcomer Free Member

There are lots of really good websites online that can tell you the most popular and relevant hashtags to use. I believe it was called top-hashtags.

And in regards to the best social media platforms to use, it really depends on your business and the products or services you offer. Instagram (has the highest rate of engagement out of all the social platforms) is more visual based so things like art, fashion, photography etc work very well here.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: VD Media Member since: Feb 8, 2018
  17. godoit

godoit UKBF Regular Free Member

I just found out today that Insta only allows one link in your Bio, no links in the post

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: godoit Member since: Oct 8, 2014
  18. VD Media

You can post links there but they are not clickable. So the way around this is using a URL shortener like Bit . ly. For example the link could be Bit . ly/Cakes for example.

In addition to this, you would normally advise in the post "see link in bio" as a call to action.

19. godoit

godoit UKBF Regular Free Member

but it's still not clickable when it is shortend, no?

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: godoit Member since: Oct 8, 2014
  20. VD Media

No unfortunately not. As I said above, this does not matter much as the general norm on Instagram is going to the link in the bio.