What's the perfect business premises look like for a small ecommerce business?

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by BrightIdeas, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:52 PM.

1. BrightIdeas

BrightIdeas UKBF Contributor

527 18
    I've had my ecommerce business for a while and I'm looking at securing premises in the new year, as the way I'm working is inefficient! Currently, I run the business from my home office with 1 permanent employee and have 2 storage units elsewhere.

I have 2 brands within my business - one is in weddings, the other is wellness.

I'm a bit stuck on what I should be looking for? Offices don't have enough space, small industrial units nearby feel too rough and ready for the weddings product (which needs a very clean environment).

Any advice, please?

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 12:52 PM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  2. Solve My Problem

Solve My Problem Full Member

43 13
    We rented a warehouse and just built a small unit inside for the products that needed a little protection.

Depends how hands on you are but stud wall units are easy and cheap enough.

Prior to that we rented office space that also had storage, plenty about when you look.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 12:54 PM By: Solve My Problem Member since: Jul 16, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. BrightIdeas

527 18
    Locally, the smaller units are snapped up within days (so I've been told) so perhaps that's why nothing's appeared suitable... the non-rough ones have been let already!

Was there anything that made your rented office space particularly suitable for your needs?

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 12:59 PM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Solve My Problem

Solve My Problem Full Member

43 13
    It was an enterprise unit sponsored by the local council.

They were 400 sq ft units but several had a mezzanine, we took one as an office, then moved the office upstairs and warehouse downstairs. A couple of years later took one next to it and used that as purely warehouse.

We then took on an 1800 sq ft unit that was more industrial and built a couple of offices within.

The best bet is to ask some of the small businesses in the area what they have done with the space provided

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 1:10 PM By: Solve My Problem Member since: Jul 16, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. BrightIdeas

527 18
    Thanks for the info... good to hear your experience.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  6. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

6,173 911
    The perfect business unit is the one that works best for you - only you can decide that!

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 3:38 PM By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  7. Frank the Insurance guy

Frank the Insurance guy Full Member

519 163
    Not sure whether this will work for you or whether its more expensive, but I think some of the local storage companies (like big yellow storage or Lok'n'store) are now offering office space as well as storage.

You might be able to rent out 2 separate storage units and a separate office, all within the same building. You can also benefit from ease of taking on more or less storage units as needed?

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM By: Frank the Insurance guy Member since: Oct 28, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. BrightIdeas

527 18
    Thanks! One of my units is at the Big Yellow and I think they do have office space there, which does seem super flexible... but I don't think it's suitable though, unfortunately, for a variety of reasons.

I also just cannot imagine working there full time! I think this is a big part of why I'm so stuck on the whole thing...

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 4:10 PM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  9. BrightIdeas

527 18
    True, although it's really useful to hear other people's advice and comments about it!

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 4:11 PM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  10. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend

12,395 2,602
    When I started I contacted the local government planning department who sent me a long list of available business units, details of the landlords and contact details, the lists had a large percentage that were never advertised on estate agents etc especially the smaller start up size units, may be worth asking your local planning office or town hall

Another route is office and storage space above some of the shops in your town, many had flats that have been empty for years and just need a good scrub up and coat of paint as long as they have separate entry

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 5:09 PM By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. BrightIdeas

527 18

Really helpful, thanks. I'll explore those options!

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  12. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Verified Business ✔️

4,012 717
    Self-storage spaces often welcome small businesses and are often fairly nice. They're also very flexible.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 11:18 AM By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Kath y

Kath y UKBF Newcomer

3 1
    Perhaps consider an empty shop in a less popular retail area? This works well for our ecommerce business as we have nice warm dry ground floor premises with easy access for deliveries, but none of the cold and damp issues of an industrial unit, and complete independence and flexibility of working hours that you may not get at a storage facility.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 4:07 PM By: Kath y Member since: Jul 1, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Legend

2,323 321
    We have 3 units at our local storage space, 1 for Office, 1 for Photography & 1 for Storage, the Storage one has moved into bigger spaces a few times now, the flexibility is the best feature, I can rent a small unit for extra space over the Christmas period and hand it back in Jan, it makes our lives easier.
    We have considered our own warehouse a few times, but when we add all the fixed costs and the length of contract etc, it never makes sense for us.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 1:10 PM By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. BrightIdeas

527 18
    Interesting idea about the shop! It's fine to change it from a shop to an office, right?? Yes, the cold/damp issues of an industrial unit feel very unappealing to me, and damp could present a real problem to my product. I'm not sure if damp is a very common problem....is it? Any idea? Thanks for the shop idea to consider....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 9:32 AM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  16. BrightIdeas

527 18
    Sounds like it works perfectly for you!

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 9:51 AM By: BrightIdeas Member since: Dec 2, 2009