What's people's experience with using Indeed?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Amazin, May 14, 2021.

1. Amazin

Amazin UKBF Contributor

542 26
    I'm a window cleaner looking to take someone onboard. Been getting mixed reviews about using Indeed from a complete waste of time and money to being fantastic! What's your experience with Indeed? I hope it's the worth the money!

Posted: May 14, 2021 By: Amazin Member since: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Opinion87

Opinion87 UKBF Legend

707 248
    You get an incredible amount of dross. Had people apply that lived 500 miles away, a lot of people applying to prove to the Job Centre they're looking for a job (that that have no intention of taking.)

Posted: May 14, 2021 By: Opinion87 Member since: Jul 1, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. IanSuth

IanSuth UKBF Big Shot

595 165
    i was recruiter for 27 years and latterly used Indeed a fair amount (as a free service)

For a Window cleaner DONT

It covers too big an area and is full of people who hit "apply" to anything that matches their criteria (which may mean you getting a lot of Junior or wannabe Windows IT people)

Are prospective window cleaners really going to be sat on their pc/phone hunting for jobs or will the local ones be better found by advertising locally/putting the word out. I know the youngsters may hit the phone first (my daughter got a bar job 1/2mile from home via Indeed but via seeing the ad then doorstepping the bar) so it really depends who you are seeking.

Define your preferred person then think where that kind of person is likely going to look for a job

Posted: May 14, 2021 By: IanSuth Member since: Apr 1, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mattk

mattk UKBF Legend

2,598 965
    Have you tried posting on local Facebook groups?

Posted: May 14, 2021 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. mattk

mattk UKBF Legend

2,598 965
    How much does it cost to post a job ad on Indeed?

Posted: May 14, 2021 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  6. Owen Parry

Owen Parry UKBF Newcomer

32 5
    Depending on where you advertise you may end up on Indeed inadvertently, as it's a job aggregator so it'll draw from other places where there are adverts.

Posted: May 14, 2021 By: Owen Parry Member since: Apr 8, 2021
  7. cts1975

cts1975 UKBF Regular

268 58
    The free side of Indeed is decent. I've used Indeed for about 5 years and have employed 5 or 6 drivers via the Indeed website. I'd be surprised if I've spent more than £500 in total on those 5 or 6 positions. They sometimes stop the job from being listed as free, just set a very low daily budget for a week then switch the ad to free.
    However as others above have said. The current rules mean that pressing the 'apply' button on Indeed now counts as applying for the required minimum of 2 jobs per week to continue to claim Job Seekers Allowance or similar. We have had applicants from hundreds of miles away. I've asked my Indeed account manager for help with this but to no avail.

Posted: May 14, 2021 By: cts1975 Member since: Apr 29, 2012
  8. IanSuth

IanSuth UKBF Big Shot

595 165
    You can post for free or you can load up a budget to "sponsor" the job which basically means it stays closer to the top of the listings for longer

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. IanSuth

IanSuth UKBF Big Shot

595 165
    The same happens with Monster as the company behind it are involved with the jobcentre+ jobs system so they are integrated. I once had a candidate for a job that included "mentoring junior developers" whose experience was drug mentoring, I rang him to say I thought he might have clicked the wrong ad (being polite) and got a tirade or abuse about threats of being sanctioned for not applying for enough jobs so he was having to apply for anything with the word Mentor in

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Amazin

Amazin UKBF Contributor

542 26
    tbh Nope and I'm not planning to because I have 100s of customers locally and I rather recruit anonymously.
    Thanks for that info, I'll look into it

The problem is that I can't think of anywhere else to go. I'll try gumtree but I won't put my hopes up. If you know somewhere I can potentially advertise then please let me know

Posted: May 16, 2021 By: Amazin Member since: Mar 24, 2009
  11. Scottishgifts4u

Scottishgifts4u UKBF Regular

168 52
    I may be in the minority buy I click on Gumtree regularly and have it set for my local town . Just to see if anyone is selling anything interesting I could pick up locally.
    I suspect an ad on there would get you a lot more responses than you expect and it can be kept anonymous if you want.

Posted: May 16, 2021 By: Scottishgifts4u Member since: Jul 6, 2017
  12. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,094 10,710
    Have you tried nextdoor? There are always people advertisjng local jobs.

Posted: May 16, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Jamie Goodwin

Jamie Goodwin UKBF Newcomer

9 0
    You can post for free on there - I’ve posted a number of vacancies direct to indeed before and they go live within an hour or so and generally get at least 50+ applications depending on the role and the area.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 By: Jamie Goodwin Member since: Feb 7, 2018