Website underperforming

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Redd, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Redd

Redd UKBF Regular Full Member

185 11
    Hi Guys, I had Fisicx make me a website around 18 months ago or so. I am fairly happy with this site layout but would appreciate feedback on it, whilst I am happy with the look of it there are clearly issues as the conversion on it is still very poor. the domain has been active (hosted by www.one.com) for nearly 7 years so in my opinion it should be doing better, I think its ranking ok but probably mainly to do with the name (edinburgh-driveway) we are barely ranking for other important keywords like landscaping-paving-block paving-garden design etc etc.

I also find the layout hard underneath pictures its never really been aligned properly and I am at a loss now to how I move the google review logo to the top.

Any help would be much appreciated and I am more than happy to take critisicm as I'll just blame Fisicx haha

Wondered if anyone also knows anything about one.com hosting, again Ive used them since day one but still ranking appears to be pretty poor.

Many thanks in advance

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,708 955
    Do we have to guess the url?

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Redd

185 11
  4. AllUpHere

2,708 955
    First thing that jumps out is the copy. The English is rubbish and as sales copy it's even worse. I think Fisicx will agree it's time for a new site. As I seem to say every day on this forum, strategy first. It's pretty obvious from the site that you built the site without giving too much thought to the overall marketing strategy.

There is no point in listing the problems, start again.

5. Redd

185 11

LoL yikes!!! Wasn’t expecting that but ok fair enough! Your absolutely right re marketing strategy. I didn’t give it any thought whatsoever and Fisicx suggested I just add loads of content which was difficult as there’s only so much you can say about a brick or some type 1.

I do appreciate your comments but is there no way you think I can alter it and are you suggesting starting with a completely new website or changing the theme and content :)

6. AllUpHere

2,708 955
    It's not as daunting a task as you may think. A website and it's design is just a way to deliver the content. It doesn't really work at all on a mobile, especially in landscape. It's a very visual site, and that bar across the top ruins viewing most of the images. The bar across the bottom also takes up a lot of space. It may look better on a full size screen.
    I'm sure Fisicx could tweak a few things here and there, but it might be just as easy to start again. I'm sure he'll be along soon to give his opinion.

7. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,809 8,766
    When we last spoke I said you need to tell stories. The images should support to story of each project. Tell your visitors about the location, the brief, the size of the driveway, why you choose the type of blocks/edging. Talk about drainage and access and how long it took to do the job. Tell about how you arranged a walkway so the owner could get in an out the property.

Tell me a story.

You can then refer to other similar projects ,pages about the type of stonework, driveways etc.

When we set up the theme it was really clean - but adding the top bar messes it up. There are better ways to add your contact details (mainly as a CTA on each page/post).

And I'm no longer sure that background image really works. The long homepage means most of it is dark and gloomy. I'm not even sure anyone will ever get to the blurb at the bottom.

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Redd

185 11
    I understand what your saying re stories but my fear with this is I fill pages with content that nobody is interested in. My guess is people are more interested in the visual of what we do, I could always put a few Q&A on there to get content onto the site if that’s what you mean?

My main concern as pointed out above is the lack of marketing implemented and wondered if/how I should do this? I have contacted a company yesterday to ascertain how much a completely new website would be. Just not sure I will have the funds right now to do this until summer.

What is a rough cost for a new responsive Seo friendly website? Are we closer to £500 or £5000+?

Wordpress can be pretty but for a complete novice like me with minimal time I find it really awkward and fidgety

I’m looking around my local area and beyond for web design and honestly it’s so difficult to find a “qualified” company who’s OWN website actually works!

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  9. AllUpHere

2,708 955
    First rule, don't let a web designer help you with your marketing strategy. Get your strategy in place first so you can give the designers some direction. If you want the best results you are also going to need a copy writer who knows your industry. If you want a shove in the right direction get in touch.

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  10. fisicx

29,809 8,766
    You don't need a 'new' website. You need to work on the content. How do you know people won't be interested in your stories? What research have you done about this? Just because YOU like or don't like something doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

But as @AllUpHere says - you need to get your marketing strategy sorted first. Otherwise you will just be wasting money on a pretty site that underperforms as well.

What makes the difference is the content - not how the site looks. And the content is determined by your marketing strategy.
    So get someone to help with this. It may just be some training you need.
    How do you measure what works? Are you measuring this based on your own aesthetics? Or are you measuring this on the reviews and testimonials?

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Regular Full Member

455 64
    What are the three main objectives you want your website to achieve?

Put these in priority order.

Adjust website to suit

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  12. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Regular Full Member

455 64
    [​IMG]

Not sure what the 6 icons are along the top

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  13. fisicx

29,809 8,766
    Broken SM links

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,025 1,691
    If I was asked to pick the worst 4 images on your homepage they would be; the footballer, the weeds, the round wall with funny head on it and your van.

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  15. Redd

185 11
    This is why I need help

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  16. Redd

185 11
    lol, these should probably be in news (changed now)
    we had had some problems recently with copycat companies trading from our name (or almost identical) and one even copying our logo (one word was different but font identical) so wanted these all on my homepage so future clients could see. wordpress is really difficult to move icons and stuff around I find.

17. Redd

185 11
    No there not

there menu buttons that I can't get to go away lol

edit…there away now ;)

Thanks for the feedback so far from everyone, very interesting and i am taking all onboard. making changes already, can anyone help with how I can align the text that i have underneath the pictures in the projects. they seem to be all over the place and in different fonts and sizes and so on.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  18. Redd

185 11
    1. get calls/enquiries
    2. showcase our work
    3. Build our brand/company awareness

19. fisicx

29,809 8,766
    Don't use captions. Just write words between the images

If you want to give me a call tomorrow I can help you with this

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,008 1,533
    Judging by your rankings you're getting plenty of traffic. Perhaps install the free version of this https://www.hotjar.com/ and see how visitors are behaving. It might offer some insights for improving conversions.

d

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007