website review please (site for actors)

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by ablative, Oct 13, 2020 at 9:43 AM.

1. ablative

ablative UKBF Regular Full Member

107 3
    I'd very much appreciate any reviews or comments on our site.

The site offers casting calls and professional help for actors based in Europe. We want to avoid the garish "Hollywood Star" approach and are looking at something more professional. But user-friendly of course. We're aiming at working actors rather than wannabes.

We already have a very large membership across Europe. The site is in English but we're adding other languages (Italian is up, but not yet complete). Although we have all ages and genders, our most active demographic is female - 25-35 followed by male 25-35.

The site is www.encast.eu

Many thanks!

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 9:43 AM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  2. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,895 1,796
    Basic grammar - sentences should begin with a capital letter.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 10:42 AM By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  3. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

353 95
    It would help if we understood the user journey a bit more, as to me the home page is not very compelling. You have lots of information; e.g. news, actors already signed but the homepage shows none of it.

In the UK many of these sites show the amount of jobs, or search functionality initially. I get that may be behind a login, but the look and feel of the homepage would be more likely to get me to sign up, with key info, recent successes and casting available highlighted.

The sign up and login are key pieces of functionality, you should make more of them.

I have to view many different pages to find info out what's going on, plus some of these open in new windows, some don't, I ended up with 5 tabs open from a quick 5 minute browse.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  4. ablative

107 3
    Good points, Paul. Thanks. Putting the number of jobs & actors on the fp would be more encouraging to actors I think to get them to sign up.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,458 9,914
    Show me the jobs. I will then decide if it’s worth joining.

Because everything is hidden behind a login I don’t even know the sort of work you offer. For all we know it could be a honey pot for the adult film industry.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 2:47 PM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,346 4,324
    Jobs are called castings! They're all there under castings.

OK, so the gigs are a bit low-rent and I suppose that is inevitable, as established actors have agents with links to casting directors and others within the film and theatre industries. TBH, if I were to be looking for an actor in for example Berlin, I would phone some people I know in Berlin - the film industry is a small scene and people just know one another!

But for the low-rent gigs, it is a really good website!

Also, you are fighting a bit of an uphill battle as the film and TV scenes in Europe are so hopelessly scattered and of course, right now, every propper feature film is locked down with the main centres for film in Rome, Berlin, Munich, London and Paris pretty much dark and the provinces not fairing much better!

As for the website - so far, so good.

BUT

I could not find and link to who you are (Impressum) and that is a legal requirement and is usually in the T&C and/or the 'Contact us' page.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 3:45 PM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  7. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    People use their phones. On a phone you can't see the menu so you can't see the 'castings' link. All I see are the three boxes and these all take me to a login/register page.

The homepage should be the 'castings' page. And it needs to be properly responsive. It looks pants on a phone.

Why the horrible formatting eg:

POLAND: actors (m), 40-65, Polish spkrs, for film in Warsaw [P]

A bit of work with CSS and the CPT structure and this could be so much more enticing.

But look at a casting page on your phone. It's quite horrible.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 4:06 PM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. The Byre

10,346 4,324
    I just simulated a phone-screen.

OUCH!

It's REALLY bad! In fact, it's bloody hopeless!

I was looking at it on a 4K calibrated movie monitor - there it was OK, but on a smartphone, it sucks horribly! I can well imagine that hard-pressed actors looking for somewhere to post their bios and looking at their phones between rehearsals are put off by that and try somewhere else!

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 4:40 PM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  9. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    This is why I always tell people to build their sites for phones first then look at it on a desktop

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 5:35 PM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. ablative

107 3
    Thanks - it's in the T&C but buried a little so we could make that a little more obvious.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:00 PM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  11. ablative

107 3
    Good point; we need to look at this.

Hmmm... yes...

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  12. ablative

107 3
    Yep - mobile site definitely needs work! Thx.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:05 PM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  13. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    You need to rethink the whole site if you want to attract new business. Did you pay someone to build the site for you?

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:05 PM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. ablative

107 3
    That's probably the best thing I've heard all week.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:17 PM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  15. ablative

107 3
    No, it kind of developed over the years. The backend is where most work went in (there is a lot of bespoke coding there). Point taken, though.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:19 PM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  16. The Byre

10,346 4,324
    Well, on the up-side, I found an actress that might be ideal for a film that is supposed to go into production next year - though the way that the powers that be seem to be at war with young people and the entertainment industry, it might easily never happen!

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:19 PM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  17. The Byre

10,346 4,324
    OK, here's the next problem - I tried registering only to discover that I could only do so as an actor. I thought that perhaps just having a closer look and may see some videos and a detailed bio.

No chance!

You seem to be holding bios and videos to ransom. One does not have that problem with agents!

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:59 PM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  18. fisicx

33,458 9,914
    Not sure why there needs to be. There isn't anything complicated about building a job site.

Anyway,
    The problem with the site stem from your marketing. The homepage should match the marketing message. For example, if you are advertising on FB offering casting roles then your homepage should show people the latest roles. Actors can then view the role and if interested sign up and apply. But the site needs to be really slick on a phone. That should be your immediate focus.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 7:18 PM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. The Byre

10,346 4,324
    Next marketing problem - to quote from your own website for casting directors looking for talent "we will be happy to discuss your needs and provide a quotation for the service."

A quotation - to view a few bios? If you want actors to use your service, jobs have to be coming in. I've never heard of someone charging to view bios!

P.S. These are almost certainly not the reactions you were hoping for and it is extremely common for people to post their websites here and hope to receive easy tips to make things better - only to be told that there is something fundamentally wrong with their marketing.

Most websites suffer from being sort of OK'ish when the underlying marketing strategy is wrong - hey! We all do it! Or as Robbie Burns put it "Oh would some power the giftee gee us, to see ourselves as others see us!"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 7:38 PM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  20. ablative

107 3
    Hmm. Perhaps the site isn't clear. You can register in any one of 4 groups (actors, cds, agents, other).

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 8:12 PM By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010