Website builders or coded

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by somebodynamedfin, Jan 23, 2020.

1. somebodynamedfin

somebodynamedfin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello,
    I am new here, nice to meet you! I would like to know your opinion about whether it's better to build your site with a website builder or simply ask for developer's help? I want this small website, one-paged for my business and I was wondering about making one with a website builder. I used Wix in the past, not my cup of tea ;)

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: somebodynamedfin Member since: Jan 23, 2020
  2. Wayne Smyth

Wayne Smyth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    Depends entirely on how well the website builders meet your particular requirements.

If you can find a website builder that does what you want, and you're happy with the on-going charges then go for it.

If they don't do what you're after, or the hosting charges are prohibitive, then get someone to do something bespoke and get it hosted somewhere.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: Wayne Smyth Member since: Nov 11, 2019
  3. TargetICT

TargetICT UKBF Contributor Free Member

69 11
    If you have the time you can use a builder, you’d learn useful skills in the process

If you have the money you can pay a professional and use the saved time to promote what you sell

Both ways get you to your needed destination

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: TargetICT Member since: Feb 26, 2018
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,583 9,280
    Don’t use wix. Don’t use wix. Don’t use wix. Don’t use wix. Don’t use wix. Don’t use wix.

Or any other online site builder. They are ok for you hamster appreciation club but useless for a business.

Wordpress.com is a zillion times better.

Or if you want to self host Wordpress can be installed with one click.

You could get paid help but there are millions of guides and videos on how to build your own Wordpress site.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

630 124
    I agree with @fisicx except for a one page site I would definitely just go with wordpress.com and the £3/month package.

Do things like SEO matter to you or do you just need some sort of site up?

What useful skills!

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  6. Kidz Gifts

Kidz Gifts UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    Totally agree with previous comments. I would go for Wordpress. Specially for one page site.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: Kidz Gifts Member since: Feb 23, 2018
  7. zomex

zomex UKBF Regular Full Member

338 38
    I wouldn't recommend using a website builder, the negatives are that they generally create poor quality websites and you end up stuck with their platform.

As some people suggested it would be recommended to use WordPress instead. WordPress is a good balance between a website builder and bespoke website. The benefits are that it allows you to create a good quality website, the software is free and you have full control of your website (WordPress is supported by almost every popular web host).

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: zomex Member since: Sep 10, 2010
  8. gpietersz

630 124
    Not really a problem with a one page site, which is what the OP wants.

I am not a fan of Wordpress for larger sites (unless they are blog like and/or Wordpress does what is required pretty much out of the box) but that is a different discussion.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  9. zomex

zomex UKBF Regular Full Member

338 38
    A one page website does not mean not important. The OP mentioned wanting to create the site for their business. Using a website builder is not a good idea for any website especially one for a business.

I agree about WordPress, it is not suitable for every website and of course it has to be maintained but for a one page website for someone without experience it is very suitable.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 By: zomex Member since: Sep 10, 2010
  10. bluenun

bluenun UKBF Regular Full Member

499 50
    NEVER USE WIX - like others here have said.
    It depends on what you want the website to do
    Just purely informational ? , do you want to sell products from the website ? , do you want to be able to easily change content ? do you want to add additional things like contact forms, email subscriptions, memberships etc. Do you want it to be mobile friendly, fast loading, optimised for relevant keywords that you want to rank for

How much time do you want to spend doing this or learning how do it ?

Once you know the answers to the above you will know what the best path to take is

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 By: bluenun Member since: Dec 11, 2008
  11. V Narayan

V Narayan UKBF Contributor Free Member

23 1
    i used shopify - it svery easy if you fancy

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 By: V Narayan Member since: Jan 24, 2020
  12. Ecommerce-Help

Ecommerce-Help UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 5
    For a really easy self hosted site builder have a look at Site Magic CMS. It might not be perfect but it will get you up and running.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Posted: Jan 27, 2020 By: Ecommerce-Help Member since: Jan 7, 2020
  13. DazRave

DazRave UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

577 127
    Quite a few people saying never use WIX/other site builder services.

I don't see any real explanation or science given as to why though*?

*Full disclosure, I have a heavy background in website and software development

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 By: DazRave Member since: Jul 12, 2013
  14. gpietersz

630 124
    Heavy slow loading pages, often not good across different screen sizes (I have seen several that either look like a mobile site on a desktop, or are not responsive so do not fit on a mobile screen), inflexible compared to self-hosted CMSs.......

Some are better than others.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  15. DazRave

DazRave UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

577 127

This was what I was looking for (and to be honest I was baiting for).

From my going on 18 year experience I've found it all depends on the goals and objectives of what the business is trying to achieve and that alone is extremely important before making any decision on the technology used.

Second to that is budget. It's extremely cheaper and quicker to create a content rich, good looking website with a site builder service* then it is to get a good looking wordpress website off the ground. So for a business that's small and has limited funds it's absolutely perfect.

*Some of them are pants though admittedly. But some I've dabbled with myself and was extremely impressed with both performance and quality.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 By: DazRave Member since: Jul 12, 2013
  16. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Regular Full Member

495 72
    If you have the ability, hand coding is the way to go

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  17. gpietersz

630 124
    I am not a fan of Wordpress (largely because its extremely badly suited to the sort of work I do but people nonetheless try to use it anyway, and partly because of the tendency of Wordpress sites to get hacked) but I prefer hosted Wordpress to most of the site builders.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  18. Aleksander_Gramm

Aleksander_Gramm UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 3
    It is the misconception and mistake for many businessmen to think that they choose "the cheapest way" and "save money". First rule for a business is no money, no business. You need enough money to make money.

You can't build a content rich, good looking website with website builders because they can't support these functions as responsive design, mobile-friendly, SEO and the main function "I can build website in the way I want to". To use additional functions you need to pay money. But you'll not get 'a content rich, good looking website'. But you get slow theme with bunch of JS code and CSS. Oh, I forget to write about ad on a site page.
    WordPress tries similar approach with Gutenberg, but it is mistake as I see.
    So, a business get non-scalable nothing for free.

A business can use other ways to save money and to optimize a budget. That is why businessmen should know basic things about hosting, web platforms, web development process, SEO, web developer rate, etc. For our website visitors I wrote blog post about these things especially for start-ups and small businesses.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 12:35 PM By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018
  19. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,583 9,280
    Why?

Using blocks for content is a sensible way to do things. It doesn't change how pages are built nor how they are displayed. It just makes it simpler to add features like columns or tables - something you either needed a plugin or hand coding to do before.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. Aleksander_Gramm

Aleksander_Gramm UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 3
    I was simply expressing a personal opinion about WP Gutenberg.

Yes, it is good for beginner but it is a headache for the experienced developer who can make it in better way without Gutenberg. On the other hand, it is another benefit of WordPress for small businesses.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 12:50 PM By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018