We have just lost £40 trying to send goods to the EU (and I'm angry)

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Justin Smith, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

99 8
    The point is, you get what you pay for. See my previous post. You are absolutely correct that these carriers do not want to talk to their customers. That would cost more.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  2. Aniela

Aniela UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

914 137
    The chat bots I agree with you, I think they're awful. The strange thing is, is that they work extremely well. I just think the customer experience on that outweighs the benefits.

Yes, live chat saves money as companies can have staff speak to 2-3 people at a time, rather than the 1 on the phone, so makes sense for the business.

However, in general phone lines are usually awful for customer support. From my experience, the people that call customer support are people like yourself which just can not accept they are wrong.

They'll spend 40 minutes on the phone arguing that the colour of X product is white when they thought it was grey, despite the website clearing stating the colour, the product name stating the colour etc... they don't give up either... demanding a refund, threatening trading standards etc.

Not all customers of course but the majority; from previous experience at least. With live chat, it doesn't seem to happen all that much.

Most companies can provide better support via live chat, than over the phone.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: Aniela Member since: Mar 28, 2020
  3. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,750 1,141
    Because they were bloody awful on the phone to start with!

Take BT as an example. 45 minutes to speak to a help desk in India to someone who has no idea about the English language and they are a phone company for goodness sake. My small business can manage to pick up the phone in 4 rings.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  4. Aniela

Aniela UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

914 137
    Think they learned from that mistake.

BT customer service calls are now all handled in the UK and Ireland.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: Aniela Member since: Mar 28, 2020
  5. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,018 256
    We have now had one of the parcels returned. As mentioned previously it seems it is because the customer did not pay the tax via the link sent by E mail within the allotted time, so the carrier (DPD) then automatically sent it back. Why the customer did not do so is a secondary issue for me, but it could have been the E Mail went into a junk file, or an incorrect E Mail was used, or it was deleted accidentally, who knows ?
    Carriers returning "un-deliverable" consignments is a problem we have regularly, they cannot be bothered to contact the sender if they cannot deliver a consignment. It annoys me because a 2 minute phone call may well save everyone (the carrier, the sender and the receiver) a hell of a lot of trouble. Why they think it's less work for them to send the parcel right back through their delivery network* than just pick up the phone I have never understood.

* then get into an argument about who is paying for the non delivery......

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,358 10,198
    It costs them nothing to return an item. The courier is paid pennies for each drop. They probably don't even know the customer's number. If no one answers the door within a few seconds they leave and move on to the next drop.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Justin Smith

2,018 256
    But it does cost them. They have to send it back through their delivery network then get a driver to drop it off at our premises. Then there is the inevitable argument about who is paying for the failed delivery, it all takes up time, theirs as well as ours.

8. Justin Smith

2,018 256
    I have just had a bit of a shock.
    I got through to Parcels2Go live chat (as in actually talking to someone) almost straightaway this time (it took 20 min and 40 min the last two times) and, very surprisingly they implied they would refund us the cost of the delivery. We do not have the confidence to resend it even though the customer still wants it because I don't want to go through all this again.
    We're still waiting to get the other order back

9. fisicx

34,358 10,198
    No it doesn't. It's just one more item in the truck. The whole process is automated so any cost is absorbed in the whole. And that cost is going to be pennies.

Think on it like this, if you put a reel of co-ax in your car while you deliver an aerial and drive back with the co-ax still in the car what was the cost of taking the co-ax there and back again?

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

12,191 2,542
    That's because the Government sorted it out for you when they read your comments and had a word to Parcels2go

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  11. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck { Moderator }

10,638 2,144
    They didn't read his comments here, they've got a key logger on his pc.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  12. scstock

scstock UKBF Regular Free Member

138 27
    DPD also require you to provide a contact name and phone number for the customer yet do not use it. I asked yesterday if there was a number the customer could call where they could give the consignment number and pay the Import VAT over the phone....computer says no.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 By: scstock Member since: Mar 27, 2009
  13. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,401 909
    It's hilarious.

Those who have never bothered to expand their horizons outside the EU are now "Oh noes! All dis paperwork! What do I do? I'm useless! It's all someone else's fault!" whereas those who are used to dealing with the rest of the world just shrug their shoulders and get on with it.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  14. Justin Smith

2,018 256
    Can I have that in writing and I'll show it to my carrier ? After all if it doesn't cost the carrier anything to deliver my parcels then they are quite plainly ripping me off and I'll ask them if they'll stop charging me altogether......

Obviously it costs the courier to return a parcel. Quite apart from anything you are forgetting that the most expensive part of any delivery is the last bit where a driver has to go to an individual address. Which they had to do when they redelivered that parcel to us.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  15. Justin Smith

2,018 256
    I think you are forgetting something rather important. I'm talking about a retailer sending an individual order here. We sent most orders to EU countries because it was cheaper.
    We were just as happy to send orders all over the world but time after time we get customers asking for a carriage quote and when we get one for them we never hear anything again. Classic example, a customer wanted an aerial sent to the US, the price of carriage ? Just under £90.....

16. fisicx

34,358 10,198
    You obviously know nothing about how the haulage system works. Your posts are just making you look more foolish each time.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Justin Smith

2,018 256
    And saying it costs nothing to send something through their system (incl having to deliver it) costs nothing, or even "just pennies", does not make one look foolish ?
    I have been dealing with multiple carriers for about 15 years, what do I know.....
    But the fact is that most customers, us for certain, will argue whether they have to pay for a delivery which is not made because usually the carrier's case is paper thin anyway. Almost every time we end up not paying for it, and even on the rare occasion we do it will have cost them loads of admin time in arguing with us. But, I suppose, if it costs them nothing to return it through their network, it presumably cost them nothing to send it in the first place, so they should refund us even if it is our customers fault (which it usually isn't anyway).....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  18. fisicx

34,358 10,198
    Yes it does. They don't put one Item on a truck/plain/container. They have thousands of consignments. The cost is spread across the whole. Adding or removing one item to a van doesn't affect the overall cost. Of the £40 you paid for delivery I doubt the actual cost of that one item was more than a few pounds. The rest goes on infrastructure, admin and wages. In fact it's likely the item never even left the UK if the paperwork was incomplete.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. Justin Smith

2,018 256
    The item had left the UK, it was tracked to DPD's Dutch hub, despite the fact it was actually going to Belgium.
    I am fully aware of the fact that most of consignment handling is automated or bulk (if picked up from a company regularly sending multiple items). However the actual delivery to our customer is not, or indeed the delivery back to us. As it happens wit was booked Hermes (not our usual carrier) so both the initial collection from us, and the re-delivery back to us were on an individual basis.
    BUT, you have not answered the point we are now getting the cost of the failed delivery back, and so it has directly cost DPD £20 or whatever.

20. Mr Dibb

Mr Dibb UKBF Contributor Free Member

44 5
    We stopped dealing with the carrier brokers years ago. Too many problems when things go wrong (no matter what the destination). Go direct and talk to the horse's mouth.

Also use electronic commercial invoicing. We didn't have to make any changes to our despatch procedures for Brexit as it our system automatically electronically sent the invoice to the carrier. Our customers receive the request for customs payment just a few minutes after the parcel is collected.

Had zero issues or delays for 100 odd parcels sent to the EU this year.

People forget parcels still went via customs when we was in the EU. We had a few parcels get delayed there.

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 By: Mr Dibb Member since: Jun 1, 2011