US-based client not paying, what actions can I take?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by samdesigns, Mar 16, 2020.

1. samdesigns

samdesigns UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    I have a client in the US who was happy and asked for a final invoice back in August 2019. He then stopped contacting me. Month by month we talked and he said there were PayPal problems, bank transfer problems, all kinds of problems. He said he would pay and was happy to. Stopped talking for a while then tells me he's ready. Basically, he's just playing around.

I don't think I can take him to small claims court, but are there any actions I can take? Is there something I can email him so that he can understand the seriousness. When I mentioned lawyers, he got very worried so I think he wants to avoid anything like that.

It's for around £500 so although not a lot of money, it's something I'd really like to deal with.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: samdesigns Member since: Jan 5, 2015
  2. Koch

Koch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    You can contact with consulate of U.K.in related U.S. state. They can give you suggestion about state's procedures.

Alternatively, if your client said having problem with PayPal. You can give them your local bank account info which you will get via Payoneer.

Do your client has listed on Google Maps? This can be last resort to write a negative review but it's always better to get paid.So it is better to kindly offer alternative methods of payment first and ask directly about when they will pay.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: Koch Member since: Mar 16, 2020
  3. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

873 231
    Forget it and move on.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  4. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

233 29
    Stick an actor in the mix and pass the debt on to a professional BS artist to call him and claim the debt + associated charges.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  5. samdesigns

samdesigns UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    Could you tell me more about this?

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: samdesigns Member since: Jan 5, 2015
  6. Bruniel

Bruniel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    It is really better to recieve upfront payment than encounter this kind of problem. I hope your client will pay you soon and stop any alibi.

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 By: Bruniel Member since: Apr 15, 2020
  7. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,590 613
    Unfortunately, there is not much you can do, sounds like a real-time waster. As highlighted above the only thing you can really do is move on and maybe take a look at your sounding out period before you start working with a client. Alex

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  8. antropy

3,590 613
    Write a very formal email stating that you will be initiating legal action if they money isn't received by a certain date (perhaps 7 days) and they you will seek to claim legal fees as part of the settlement.

Paul.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  9. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,230 975
    Sounds standard for the USA. After a few of these I initiate a pay first before I start.
    I only give 2 countries credit, Germany and Japan.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  10. antropy

3,590 613
    We've had many US clients over the years and all but one have paid their bills and been very honest, so I think that's a little unfair.

Paul.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  11. kashifns

kashifns UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 3
    I suggest no credit to anyone. If you must give credit. Then take credit reports from Graydon type of services and insure your credit amount.

Posted: May 7, 2020 By: kashifns Member since: May 5, 2020
  12. Naughtymedia

Naughtymedia UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I regularly sell products to the US and have the occasional customer that is late in paying or forgets to pay. Some will try it on because they think you will not pursue them from the other side of the world.

The first thing I want to ask is if this is an invoice for an individual or for a registered company? It may make a difference in what options you have open to you.

If it is an individual then an email or a recorded letter (with an email notification that you have sent it and are tracking) telling them that they are late and that you will take matters further, may jolt them into action.
    Clearly outline in the letter/email the agreement you had, what the payment conditions were, the actions you have taken so far to ask them to pay and how much overdue they are. State that you feel you have exhausted all options and have given them plenty of opportunities to pay, but that you will have to now involve a debt collection service to recover the funds as well as any additional costs to make the recovery. You can also state that any formal debt collection will affect their FICO score and may affect their future ability to get credit.

If it is a company then it may be a bit more difficult because the sum is small. You can write them a final email asking to pay, but most will ignore it.

If you are serious about pushing forward with this as a matter of principle you can always check the Commercial Law league of America (CLLA) website for the details of a debt collecting company and ask them to get involved. This will of course cost money.

This may be a bit late as well, but when selling overseas always ask for payment upfront or a guarantee unless you trust the customer and are confident they will pay you.

Posted: May 7, 2020 By: Naughtymedia Member since: May 7, 2020
  13. Alpha Helica Peptides

Alpha Helica Peptides UKBF Contributor Free Member

59 6
    You have to ask them to transfer money by Paypal and all friendly bank accounts etc. otherwise sue them.

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: Alpha Helica Peptides Member since: Feb 10, 2020
  14. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,375 1,252
    No, it matters that you read all the posts and understand the thread, then post what is relevant.

If English is not your first language, then you're going to struggle to understand.

Posted: May 21, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  15. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,385 9,577
    Maybe if you read the the thread properly you wouldn’t have made your post.

Posted: May 21, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  16. Alpha Helica Peptides

59 6
    Firstly I want to clear that, be in your limit and don't try to be smart. If someone responds, that firstly understands it and after that replied.

That was just my suggestion, that I want to give. It depends on what the user thinks and how it takes?

You are just here to blame other persons. Do your work.

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: Alpha Helica Peptides Member since: Feb 10, 2020
  17. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,375 1,252
    Again . . . . .Read the OP, then respond AFTER reading the post.

Talking nonsense and not understanding does you no favours, or the thread.

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  18. Kevin Hanson

Kevin Hanson UKBF Regular Full Member

100 17
    Work with a US law firm to send a strongly worded letter demanding payment plus costs and interest.

Posted: May 25, 2020 By: Kevin Hanson Member since: May 4, 2015
  19. Alpha Helica Peptides

59 6

All have their opinions! Enjoy @myofficeinchina

Posted: May 26, 2020 By: Alpha Helica Peptides Member since: Feb 10, 2020
  20. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

5,375 1,252
    It's not an opinion, it's fact.

If you cannot follow a thread, best to leave well alone.

I'm enjoying . . . . . .(not sure what).

Posted: May 26, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011