The Go To Theme?

fisicx

Business Listing
Sep 12, 2006
Aldershot
www.aerin.co.uk
Whats everyones go to theme for WP? just mulling over some requirements, to include editable parallax front page, multi image image slider etc
Why do you want any of that rubbish?

What matters is the content. Get that right and you can use pretty much any theme you want. Avoid anything with page builders, animations and plugins for layout.

I build my own. Much easier than trying to adapt someone else’s.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
Sep 12, 2006
Aldershot
www.aerin.co.uk
Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
Sep 12, 2006
Aldershot
www.aerin.co.uk
I agree, we really dislike Elementor. For our premium theme builds, we always use Salient as a framework to build websites.
That theme uses WBbakery - which is almost as bad as Elementor. There is no need to use a page builder. Page builders are desktop devices that never work well on a phone (which is what most people use). And the demo has a performance score of 46/100.

Upvote 0

Wesley Cude

Legacy Full Member
Aug 30, 2021
That theme uses WBbakery - which is almost as bad as Elementor. There is no need to use a page builder. Page builders are desktop devices that never work well on a phone (which is what most people use). And the demo has a performance score of 46/100.

What would you recommend as an alternative to use when building websites for clients when they want access and flexibility to build and edit pages ongoing?

Reactions: UKSBD
Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    What would you recommend as an alternative to use when building websites for clients when they want access and flexibility to build and edit pages ongoing?

That's a good question.

There can be a big difference between a good theme the person who built it and uses it on their own sites and a theme that someone who has little knowledge will be using

A lot of these site builders rely too much on making it easy for anyone to do anything by cramming them with everything.

I personally think a simpler theme and a bit of training how to use it is better than a theme that anyone can use - both have their places though.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Use WP blocks and any of the free themes. Avoid anything from themeforest.

Once installed, very few people ever fiddle with the layout of a site. all they do is add content so the theme doesn't matter too much.

I build my own themes and make them simple to use - removes all the complexity of a client looking after a premium theme and plugins.

Upvote 0

AW-UK

Free Member
    Aug 23, 2021
    Whats everyones go to theme for WP? just mulling over some requirements, to include editable parallax front page, multi image image slider etc

Anyone have a favorite they like to base their sites on? keen to see a few real examples, thanks
    It depends on your level of technical knowledge and skills, for a simple drag, drop and tweak then you can use a page builder like Elementor, whilst it has flaws it produces results and you can tweak the theme for different devices (make it responsive), there is a large user base and a ton of tutorials on YT if you need more information, as for themes, there are a few that are popular, Astra and Blocksy, again people will have their own views on these, but remember you are free to try them out locally and figure out what works for you.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    @AW-UK avoid drag and drop anything. They are all designed for use with desktops. People use their phones more than desktops which means the ux is always poor. Using blocks means you don’t have to rely on a plugin or particular theme.

Upvote 0

AW-UK

Free Member
    Aug 23, 2021
    @AW-UK avoid drag and drop anything. They are all designed for use with desktops. People use their phones more than desktops which means the ux is always poor. Using blocks means you don’t have to rely on a plugin or particular theme.
    It works absolutely fine for mobile, you just have to know how to use it properly.
    If you just use the one layout then yes it will look pants.

A lot of the problem is people not knowing how to use it properly so they just think it is rubbish.

It allows you to make a good looking site fast, it might not meet 100/100 best practices but it does a good enough job, running on litespeed will make it respond quicker, and you can add the lightspeed cache plugin to WP.

Reactions: MattRumbelow
    Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    A lot of the problem is people not knowing how to use it properly so they just think it is rubbish.
    And that’s the problem. You need to get someone to build the site for you if you don’t want it to look pants.

If you just use a simple theme with blocks you can build an equally good looking site.

If you want to use a site builder that’s fine. But you don’t need to. There are plenty of alternatives.

Upvote 0

AW-UK

Free Member
    Aug 23, 2021
    And that’s the problem. You need to get someone to build the site for you if you don’t want it to look pants.

If you just use a simple theme with blocks you can build an equally good looking site.

If you want to use a site builder that’s fine. But you don’t need to. There are plenty of alternatives.
    There are plenty of step by step tutorials on the web that guides you through the entire process of using different site builders under WP just that they are a few hours long, so you need to really want to do it, if on the other hand you are not interested, as is true of a lot of people, it is an easy platform to get something up and running in a day or less (depending on if you need pictures etc).

You do not need to use a site builder, no, some people prefer to use it some do not, it is why I always suggest people try it out for themselves and see what works for them.

Upvote 0

Wesley Cude

Legacy Full Member
    Aug 30, 2021
    I would be interested to see a website built with basic blocks that looks equally as good as a website built using WPBakery or Elementor. Does anyone have any references to something they have worked with?

Upvote 0

AW-UK

Free Member
    Aug 23, 2021
    I would be interested to see a website built with basic blocks that looks equally as good as a website built using WPBakery or Elementor. Does anyone have any references to something they have worked with?
    Yes, me too, I've never tried replicating a WP Elementor built site in plain WP Blocks, but I should imagine that it is more work at the very least, Elementor takes a lot of the leg work out and allows you to just concentrate on the UI/UX part of the site.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
    ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu