General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Tesco (and Freshtel) VoIP Closures

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by cjd, Mar 30, 2010.

1. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,369 3,052
    I'm getting a lot of questions about Tesco closing its internet telephone service - whether hardware can be re-used, whether numbers can be ported, what alternatives there are etc....

There is some help here:

https://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3944

Unfortunately the situation is still unresolved but there's some hope and the industry (ITSPA) is trying to get some action from Ofcom

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Posted: Mar 30, 2010 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  2. leemason

leemason UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,602 527
    Interesting. I guess they've not made a great success of their cheapo VoIP service.

They really should be forced to provide number and (where possible) equipment porting.

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 By: leemason Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  3. yorkshirejames

yorkshirejames UKBF Ace Free Member

2,573 352
    Isn't it rather gratifyinig when Mr. Leahy has a failure :)

Voipfone - thanks for providing useful information.

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 By: yorkshirejames Member since: Mar 2, 2006
  4. cjd

15,369 3,052
    They got all the low margin cheapskates.

Then Freshtel - who are an Australian company and provided their service and numbers - decided to pull out of the UK so Tesco thought it wasn't worth the hassle continuing. I think they find a bigger market with their mobile business.

Really peed off about number portability - Ofcom need a rocket up 'em

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  5. cjd

15,369 3,052
    Posted: Apr 22, 2010 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  6. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend Full Member

5,994 1,017
    Yep and all the same problems that all residential VoIP providers face; how to turn non-paying customers into paying ones! Even ebay reluctantly admitted they paid well over the odds for Skype, 50 million users maybe but how many actually pay?

Posted: Apr 22, 2010 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  7. Adam_Webb

Adam_Webb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    We are finally now in a position to have your ex Tesco / Freshtel telephone numbers allocated to our network.

So, if you are an ex-customer of either of those companies and would like to use your old phone numbers again via the VoiceHost service then please send an email to: -

t esco at voiceho st.co. uk

Please include the telephone number you would like to claim and your VoiceHost account number. If you have more than five numbers, please enter your numbers into a spreadsheet and attach it to the email so that we can create a full list of all of the number ranges needed.

Any questions on time frames please feel free to email

s upp ort at voicehost . co .uk

Sorry about the spaces, cant post URL's

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: Adam_Webb Member since: Jun 2, 2010
  8. Adam_Webb

15 0
    We are finally now in a position to have your ex Tesco / Freshtel telephone numbers allocated to our network.

So, if you are an ex-customer of either of those companies and would like to use your old phone numbers again via the VoiceHost service then please send an email to: -

tesco at voicehost.co.uk

Please include the telephone number you would like to claim and your VoiceHost account number. If you have more than five numbers, please enter your numbers into a spreadsheet and attach it to the email so that we can create a full list of all of the number ranges needed.

Any questions on time frames please feel free to email
    support at voicehost.co.ukSorry about the links, im a new member!

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: Adam_Webb Member since: Jun 2, 2010
  9. british steve

british steve UKBF Ace Free Member

1,486 303
    Wow.

You have managed to get Ofcom to give you all the old freshtel numbers?

I am impressed! Very well done

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 By: british steve Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  10. Adam_Webb

15 0
    With alot of hard work and alot of paperwork yes!

It has been a long process, alot of hair pulling in the office but we are happy that we can now help all Freshtel customers who still require their numbers.:)

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 By: Adam_Webb Member since: Jun 2, 2010
  11. Guest

0 0
    That's great that Ofcom have released the numbers but for some of us it's too late where having no active telephone number for over month wasn't an option. But that's not VoiceHosts fault at all and we're finding their service with our new number really good. I like how I get an email when I get a voicemail, which I can pick up on my mobile when I'm away from the office :D

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970