Terms and conditions changes - Do you have to notify everyone?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by sherbetdipdab, Sep 10, 2019.

1. sherbetdipdab

sherbetdipdab UKBF Regular Free Member

115 15
    We are used to the big companies emailing us to let us know their terms and conditions have changed, but I guess this isn't a legal requirement else we'd all be getting no end of emails from all the websites we log into.

So is it fine to tweak your terms and that be fine when the user goes to your site or logs in? We have a section in our terms already that says we can change them without notification.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: sherbetdipdab Member since: Jan 20, 2019
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,619 3,287
    What kind of terms and conditions?

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. sherbetdipdab

115 15
    Terms for using our website.

4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,619 3,287
    Very helpful.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. sherbetdipdab

115 15
  6. BuildAWebsite

BuildAWebsite UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9 0
    @sherbetdipdab

There's no law or rule that says you have to update your users about your terms and conditions change. Lots of websites treat this differently.

Some just date the new terms with todays date - Last Updated: DD/MM/YYYY

Others will send an email out to their users to update them.

I think its down to your business model really.

- Do these new terms affect your users day to day life?
    - Do they it make a considerable change to the way they use your website.

If not, I think adding an "Updated" date to your terms and conditions page will be just fine : )

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: BuildAWebsite Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  7. sherbetdipdab

115 15
    Thanks a lot. Any other views on this? Any help, much appreciated. @Newchodge is @BuildAWebsite about right? I'm happy with that.

8. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

993 141
    There will be no problem if there are some udpates on your site's terms and conditions but always remind your users for them to be aware in your site.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  9. Annoying Donkey

Annoying Donkey UKBF Ace Free Member

2,790 952
    There's a basic principle in contract law that one must know about a change to have deemed to have accepted the change. And an appropriate appeal court decision to back that up.
    You should notify all users, if you expect to enforce in a court in the future...

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: Annoying Donkey Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  10. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,952 9,074
    What terms? Do you mean you have changed your cookies or something?

The UKBF terms are less to do with the use of the site but more to do with the content on the site, mainly because it's a public forum.

Most sites do not need terms of use for the website. If you are a shop you may need terms and condition covering pricing, payments, delivery and returns but that's not the same as the terms of use of the website.

Or do you mean the terms relating to your business?

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. 14Steve14

14Steve14 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

716 114
    If its your business terms and conditions we are talking about, I would say that it depends on when a customer agrees to those terms. If they agree to your terms when they create an account, they would not know of any change unless you notify them.

If they agree to your terms when they place an order or make an enquiry, they should be reading the updated ones.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: 14Steve14 Member since: May 18, 2010
  12. sherbetdipdab

115 15
    Yes. They tick a box when they create an account on our website to say they have read the terms. Within the terms it says these can change, and you should read them everytime you use the website.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: sherbetdipdab Member since: Jan 20, 2019
  13. GURUCLOUD

GURUCLOUD UKBF Contributor Full Member

63 3
    I'm not a lawyer but have been through many t&c versions with solicitors and really if you are changing parts of the document and have customers 'live' with those terms (in a service sense) then he general consensus is to inform them of a change and when it would be coming into force, eg, 28 days, 3 months, etc.. Really, you should have a provision in your t&c which states you can change them, notice period (if required) and how you would inform the change.

Of course I'm speaking of our business which is recurring. I imagine if its a shop or similar then you would simply ask for agreement for the new terms upon new purchase.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 By: GURUCLOUD Member since: Jun 15, 2018