Renting A Commercial Kitchen

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by billie1, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billie1

billie1 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

826 95
    Hello

Does anyone know the best place to look for commercial kitchens to rent in the South East London area?

Are they considered cost effective? I would ideally like to rent a space and kit out with commercial oven, sinks etc, but this may be too expensive.

Posted: Jul 19, 2013 By: billie1 Member since: Nov 3, 2008
  2. DJ22

DJ22 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 2
    I am also looking into a commercial kitchen (manchester) vs doing it at home. Due to the lack of availability of kitchens and the cost difference, if home is an option i'd do that!

Posted: Jul 19, 2013 By: DJ22 Member since: Mar 25, 2013
  3. guest_12

guest_12 Guest

0 0
    Posted: Jul 19, 2013 By: guest_12 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. DJ22

33 2
    I saw that earlier and think its a fantastic idea and would love to have space for it!

5. billie1

826 95
    I do currently run a cake baking business from home, but in the future I would like to expand the business into a bakery where I supply pastries and bread as well. My home kitchen would therefore be too small.

I wonder if it's an idea to rent a building and install the commercial kitchen my self. Would that be very costly?

6. DJ22

33 2
    When renting you want not be able to make massive alterations, is purchasing a premises a possibility? Or as linked above, a portable kitchen if you have space?

7. billie1

826 95
    Purchasing is not an option at the moment and I haven't got the space for a portable kitchen.

I'm thinking of renting a small empty building and get permission from the landlord to do the necessary changes to make it into a commercial kitchen.

8. kihughes

kihughes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

98 6
    Where are you based billie?

Posted: Jul 19, 2013 By: kihughes Member since: Jul 4, 2013
  9. billie1

826 95
    I'm based in South East London, so within easy reach of Bromley, Beckenham, Croydon etc.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  10. billie1

826 95
    I've just been looking for commercial properties to rent on rightmove.co.uk, where a host of estate agents advertise properties. I've been given a quote of 8k per annum for an off street property. You obviously have to pay 3 months in advance and 1 - 3 months rent in advance depending on the landlord.

Not as expensive as I thought. But then I have to think about the cost of fitting a commercial kitchen in the space.

What are your thoughts?

11. Talay

Talay UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,773 787
    The cost of a commercial kitchen can frighten even a seasoned restaurateur nevermind someone setting up or just expanding from home. Secondhand is the way to go, or was, each time I looked at it (financed 3 kitchens, business share on 2). Buying something for which there is an easy and quick sell on market is where we went each time and then write down the differential immediately to provide a reliable exit cost.

Home based business plans don't work when you add in commercial kitchens as you can rarely ramp up production at sufficient profitability to cover the huge jump in costs.

I did once look at fractional usage but this was in an area where it could have run 24/7/365 without hindrance but in the end we split usage 50/50 on that one.

Without cash and near as damn it proof of ability to sell the increased production, it is unfortunately a money pit.

Posted: Jul 19, 2013 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.