Pizzeria Website Review

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by mugatea, May 6, 2018.

1. mugatea

mugatea UKBF Regular Free Member

558 38
    A new pizzeria just opened. Getting lots of attention. I'm making the website... It's not finished, still a bit of work to do but I think enough for a basic review. Pics are being taken this weekend to replace stock photography but I think there is enough there for a review. Apart from a basic review, I'd like peoples opinions on weather I should keep it 1 page or not. There is a live menu chat plugn being used. Not sure if it will stay, but the markateer at the restaruant seems quite happy to be on the other side to chat while she's working on her laptop.

Cant yet order online. Some App people are doing that, but it wont require downloading an app.

Anyway, I'd much rather have you guys shred it than the owners and general public....

http://itsybitsyspider.co.uk/Angelinis/

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Posted: May 6, 2018 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

418 129
    As this will target pizza, pizzeria, coffee, the cafe etc, steer well clear of one page layouts, they are much harder to rank for relevant services/keywords. As an aside, if the local area is competitive from a pizzeria/coffee shop perspective you will probably need longer copy for each section to rank well.

From a website point of view, the upper case menu & text is much harder to read & scan quickly, we'd recommend dropping this from the entire site. The logo is unreadable on mobile devices too.

You should also have a map location on the site, rather than making customers open this in a new window. It would also be a good idea to let customers book a table online, as some customers will not bother to make a phone call.

We will have a deeper look next week, but its hard to comment on the real online aims of the site, as this seems to be to order online & that functionality isn't there.

Posted: May 6, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  3. mugatea

558 38
    Cool thanks for your review. I'll sort out the menu. I started off planning to do pages, but wasnt so sure as I got into it. I can do that too. I asked before if they'd like a booking form online, they didn't so that's that.

The owner said he wants to promote the coffee, the deliveries and restaurant. I think the restaurant and deliveries are whats gonna bring in the money.

4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,229 10,156
    Only a concern if SEO is part of your marketing strategy. I built a one page site for a pizzaria last year and they have had great success.

However in this case most of the people visiting the site will be using tablet or phones and Divi doesn't work well in either of these formats. It's a bloated and badly out of date theme that just hasn't kept up with the rapidly changing way people consume online content. Which is why google only scores it 55/100. A 3.4Mb homepage is huuuuge.

The menus are difficult to scan (Divi again). Try accordions so people can click on the thing they want to see the full menu: http://sitepizzeria.co.uk/food/food-for-you/

Posted: May 6, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. mugatea

558 38
    Ah too late to change... but will try to get familiar with your theme after I finish this off. Can I download your accordion? This was how the website was looking previous until the web company went bankrupt. They like it so I said I'd try to keep my one similar... http://www.kingdomtech.co.uk/angelinis/

6. fisicx

34,229 10,156
    Divi is the problem. Don't ever use it again.

My accordion is a bit of custom code. There are loads of tutorials on how to do this. It's a few lines of jquery and a couple of shortcodes.

All my themes are custom builds. There are core elements but they all have functions, features and a lot of bespoke CSS. If you want to start building sites you really need to learn how to build themes.

Posted: May 6, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,916 293
    It looks like a website selling pizzas. What are you hoping to achieve with it?

Posted: May 6, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  8. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

418 129
    @fisicx, thanks for the feedback, a local business that isn't optimised for local SEO, a winning strategy!

I'd suggest every business should optimise every channel & touch point if they can, especially if it costs virtually nothing. In the same way as you're always concerned with people optimising a website for speed, UX, conversion etc, not optimising for local rankings when building a site is missing a key element of the site design process.

Many local businesses succeed despite a poor website, regardless of local SEO or usability, some with no website at all. Some even refer people to their site with flyers or pay for PPC marketing despite a poor site! It's still not a good idea to knowingly design something that is much less likely to rank organically, but each to their own!

Posted: May 6, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  9. mugatea

558 38
    Lol, I want it to sell pizzas online and in store.

10. mugatea

558 38
    Posted: May 8, 2018 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  11. fisicx

34,229 10,156
    Better.

But if the purpose of the site is to sell online why make me click a button to place an order?

Dominoes begins the process on the homepage: https://www.dominos.co.uk/welcome

Focus totally on the purpose of the site. Everything else is secondary.

Posted: May 9, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006