Optimising Joomla website

Discussion in 'Joomla Support' started by Gavin Hanly, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Gavin Hanly

Gavin Hanly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    Hi - I've been having semi-regular problems with my Joomla-based site. While some of those are host-based (which I'm dealing with elsewhere) I think I'm overdue getting an expert in to make sure the site is optimised best - particularly with regards to speed.

I have a good understanding of HTML/CSS but my SQL/server knowledge etc is non-existant. Can anyone recommend how to find/hire someone to look at this on a strict on-off consultancy basis?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: Gavin Hanly Member since: Oct 8, 2019
  2. consultant

consultant Your Business Community Staff Member

5,498 762
    Have you tried JCH Optomize?

You could do everything yourself, but this has a lot of tweaks in one place.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  3. Gavin Hanly

Gavin Hanly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    Yes - I have that but I think some of the issues are more convoluted than that can handle. My host says that the database is under some strain, but I'm not sure where to start with regards to analysing where the issues are.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: Gavin Hanly Member since: Oct 8, 2019
  4. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,383 167
    Whats the database size are you running some frequent crons? or do you have lots plugins. Make sure you get hosting on SSD server for fast database processing.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  5. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,910 2,632
    Optimising db performance isn't just about fast i/o that you would get from SSDs. It could be memory or processor bound, depends on the nature of the db queries.

I'm not a Joomla expert, but I have dealt with Joomla sites that needed a lot of tweaking of db settings to get them to run at a reasonable speed.

It will depend what sort of hosting you have as to whether you can do this.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  6. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Regular Full Member

478 92
    Fast IO does often help though, and these days there is no reason not to have SSD.

Is the problem intermitted or continual, and is it shared hosting?

Optimising the DB schema often helps - specifically the single commonest solution to database performance issues is to add an index.

You could add the index to the DB directly (without touching Joomla code) if that is what is needed. I know databases but not Joomla so I cannot tell you whether it might cause a (probably fairly easily fixable) problem later on depending - can someone say whether Joomla relies on any sort of DB migration tool that might not like direct changes to the schema?

If its a badly designed query or series of queries (repeated queries in a loop in the code are another common problem) its a bit more complex, but given that Joomla is used on lots of large sites a badly designed query will probably be in a plugin.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019