New website - would appreciate a review

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Pet Nanny, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Pet Nanny

Pet Nanny UKBF Ace Full Member

1,234 88
    I have at last started using my new website properly and would like some advice as to how bad it really is.

The SEO is virtually non-existent and I am unsure if it is even being indexed by google. The site is www.whenninametellie.co.uk

Do your worst guys - ducks.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,407 1,326
    What's it for? What are you hoping to achieve with it?

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,226 1,805
    The site will need to be SEOed I am not expert on site presentation but as a customer it is easy to contact you and that is a big plus these days .
    I always say to our web site people " Just get them phoning and I will do the rest ":)

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,479 9,924
    Is this just a hobby blog? Something where you can share your thoughts and ideas? If so then it sort of works as it is very random.

You need to install and pay for Akismet to block the spam comments. I'd also sort out the sidebar as you don't need most of those widgets.

Why do you need SEO? Why do think Google will ever be interested in your blog?

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,931 2,486
    I am not sure what it is you are trying to achieve, with just a few history lessons about you and something about Sandbanks

My feeling is you are trying to build one of these product promoter type business but have nothing to promote, and trying to get someone interested in using you

My take on that would be that you need to buy the products and build a reputation by talking about them in a way that seems like just friendly advice, but that does not really help much as you need followers to get the whole thing going. If that is the case then try using youtube to get your message across

If I am wrong its just a boring blog talking about nothing, Sorry

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  6. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,362 443
    You want to be an influencer or plain old affiliate marketer and you have started a blog about your dog as the theme of the site, yes?

I would:
    Go for a full page layout rather than using a sidebar which is a bit old fashioned now and adds nothing useful.
    Forget the social buttons, very few people use them and they just add to the page load.
    Comments are great when you get them but nothing looks worse than an empty comments space. Instead, have a simple contact page; you'll then know when is the right time to have comments enabled (it won't be for a long time).

Be focused on what each post is about and how you want to use it and try and avoid covering the same ground multiple times.

Keep going. When you're not getting any visitors and not making any money and you start to think you're wasting your time, keep going. It will take you a year at least to gain any traction and ten years to be the authority in your niche. You have to have the stamina to keep going.

Ignore the haters, they don't get it.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  7. fisicx

33,479 9,924
    I get it, I'm just not sure Nina does.

8. Darren_Ssc

1,362 443
    What's she not getting?

9. fisicx

33,479 9,924
    The whole purpose of the blog.

It bounces about and has no real focus other than just a few personal stories and reviews. It's unlikely anyone will ever see these posts which is why Nina needs to be clear in her head about why she is writing.

10. Darren_Ssc

1,362 443
    Yes, I agree, but there are only 6 posts and she isn't claiming that's it great. I made the point myself about being focused because it's often the case that these kind of blogs end up meandering in all directions.

There is no reason why Nina can't keep improving as she goes.

11. Pet Nanny

Pet Nanny UKBF Ace Full Member

1,234 88
    Ok so l am building up my online presence & I would like to start earning money from my Instagram/blog and YouTube site which I have literally just created.

I have already been sent products to review such as cat trackers and dog camera’s, but this was for my business blog which is on my business website.

Covid has crucified my business and I am not sure if I will even recover hence I am looking desperately for another source of revenue. So this is why I asked for the review and I have taken all your comments on board, even the negative ones!

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  12. fisicx

33,479 9,924
    This isn't going to happen for a long, long time if it happens at all.

Those making money have zillions of followers and promote lifestyle products. Cat trackers won't have the same following.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but it's really hard work making money from SM. You will make more getting a job in the supermarket filling shelves.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. Barry_M

Barry_M UKBF Contributor Full Member

72 3
    good information site. I would get rid of the photo on the home page though and get a better one shot (any decent mobile shot in landscape will do). Your site is on Google. I Googled it :)

Not much to say about the design though. Plain old wordpress site.

The good thing is that its a person thats doing it and its not a forced design all stylised and fake fancy. I think you will do well with it.

What do you actually want to be found for?

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 By: Barry_M Member since: May 12, 2008
  14. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,351 4,330
    A guy I know has about 25,000 subscribers and usually about 100,000 hits for each video on YT. The very small amount he earns, he gives to charity. He does about two videos a week and they help to promote him as a filmmaker and he sometimes gets free stuff to promote and gets a bit of sponsorship.

If you do YT videos, do it because you have something to say. If you want to earn money from them, you will need a million views per video and sponsorship. That means reviewing exotic cars or being already famous for something.

T-shirt economics helps - if you have something to sell, YT may help to get the message out. I have just started a YT channel (link below) but I have nothing to sell! Just for fun, as they say!

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013