New Webite

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Jim Street, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Jim Street

Jim Street UKBF Contributor Full Member

35 3
    Hi all - I am new the the forum, and have been recommended on here.

I have recently launched a new website and branding

I have focused on mobile users (75% of users) in mind. However, the Home Removals section mostly are viewed by tablet/computer.

Please let me know your thoughts: jsremovals (dot co dot uk) - cannot post link.

I am working on Facebook ads with the branding but wanted feedback before I ploughed on.

Thanks all!

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 By: Jim Street Member since: Sep 30, 2019
  2. Jim Street

35 3
    Sorry about the spelling on Website in the title :-(

3. UrbanRetail

UrbanRetail UKBF Regular Free Member

187 51
    Link: https://www.jsremovals.co.uk

I actually really like it. The colours work well, everything looks neat and all the information is concise and straight to the point.

Looks great on mobile and my Lenovo tab, haven't had a chance to view on desktop.

Only criticism; Gmail email address instead of [email protected] or [email protected] your domain etc.

Good luck with it.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 By: UrbanRetail Member since: Mar 3, 2012
  4. Jim Street

35 3
    Thank you for your email. I will take the pointers on the email, it is something I need to get sorted and I am delighted that the website hasn't taken a battering on its first feedback!

5. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,311 1,742
    My initial thought was,

Would I want a waste removal, waste collection, house clearance business doing my home removals?

I don't know your target market and your photos look fine for clearance work but if I was looking for a home removal company they would certainly put me off using you.

Others (and more importantly) your target market may disagree though.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  6. Jim Street

35 3
    These are my thoughts exactly, we keep vans doing the same type of job - but getting this point across on the website is difficult and I won't fancy having a different website for the home removals side if I am honest just for the extra admin that would involve..... I am still thinking on this point.

The business was originally called Jims man and van - I am trying to increase the brand. I am considering, finances permitting, getting a larger van and displaying it on the home removals page - but mixing it with the other services certainly doesn't help.

7. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,047 1,096
    Agree, it's not a website problem you have, it's a general marketing strategy one. You look much more like a waste removal firm than a removals firm. An impression that's made worse by the picture of the guy in shorts behind a really tatty looking Luton van. I'd be happy to let you take rubbish away, I wouldn't even consider having you transport any of my possessions.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,937 9,071
    "The Midland’s finest and most reliable removals service"

Can you prove this?

The site scores 9/100 on the google speed test - https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https://www.jsremovals.co.uk/

The labels on the images look a bit naff as do the shadows. And all those boxes with rounded borders were great 10 years ago.

On the waste collection page you have a picture of a man in bed, a sack and a washing machine. It this a total load or a bed or sacks or washing machine. Do you weight everything before loading? It says "Our prices are all inclusive with no hidden charges" but then "£90 minimum charge". does that mean you decide on the day to charge me more?

Why is the image animated?

To get a quote I have to send you a picture of the waste. It's not at my location so I can't do this. What happens next?

The booking form is not on the page.

The reviews are off site for Jims Man and Van not JS removals. I know you are the same but it's a little disjointed. The reviews and testimonials need to be on the site.

The site is OK. It looks a little dated and could do with some more content along with some case studies - and a LOT more before and after pictures. Each of these should be on a new page with details of the job, the location and cost.

But you are using squarespace and this is going to restrict what you can do.

Are people looking on facebook for removals? We just used google .

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Jim Street

35 3
    I agree, I am trying to separate the business by adding more vehicles - another to be added around Christmas - to get away from the waste and removals side. I have ordered more uniforms and trousers etc...

10. Jim Street

35 3
    Ah the tatty van is an old picture on the home page, I changed this on the category pages (the one on the homepage only does waste jobs) so I need to get this change on the homepage I guess - ASAP

11. Jim Street

35 3
    Tried to speed up the website but the Squarespace has limited the speed tremendously - not sure where I can increase on this.

The message on homepage is being updated shortly as are the images of the tatty van (quite correct I was heartbroken when I read this then realised what images you are talking about).

I am updating the review pages, Facebook is being quite difficult in this regard.

The problem re the picture of the waste - I have noted this down and am thinking about this.

These are a priority for me I think

The other comments are taken on board, I will be adding more details of our work on the website over time, I do add lots of pictures on facebook.

12. fisicx

30,937 9,071
    Easy to fix. Don't use SquareSpace.

The longer you stick with SquareSpace the worst it will be for your ranking and marketing efforts.

The pictures need to be on the website not facebook. Each picture needs a story and ideally the testimonial that goes with the story. You will soon build up a huge collection of indexable material to boost your ranking. But not while you use SquareSpace.

13. Jim Street

35 3
    Ah that's a bit of a bummer since I just had the website build using Square Space.....

14. Jim Street

35 3
    What do you recommend instead of Squarespace?

15. fisicx

30,937 9,071
    WordPress. It's free - all you have to do is pay for hosting.

There are thousands of free themes to choose from and thousands more premium themes. There are also thousands of free plugins to performs just about any function you want.

Look at the tradesman theme in my signature. It's a wordpress theme I built for people like you. It lest you post about the work you did and lets people post their feedback on the site: https://tradesman-theme.co.uk/testimonials/ This is just an example of a wordpress theme. Here are some more: https://wordpress.org/themes/tags/news/

Did you pay someone to build the Squarespace site? If so I'd go get your money back!

16. Jim Street

35 3
    I did pay someone to build the site yes - I am paying someone to help knock it into shape, which they have done on category pages. I am now just salvaging what was built, but have a guy who has improve category pages massively from what they were.

Please don't beat me over the head too much :)

17. fisicx

30,937 9,071
    Or stop paying anyone. Move the site to Wordpress and discover a whole new world of possibilities. And it’s free.

18. Jim Street

35 3
    Sounds great but unfortunately my time and abilities are limited so ultimately I will need someone to do the work in any event :-(

19. fisicx

30,937 9,071
    Then stop paying someone to fix the fundamentally flawed squarespace site and pay someone the few pennies needed to set up a wordpress site. It will take less than an hour to so and another hour to teach you all you need to know. It's that simple.

20. Jim Street

35 3
    Unfortunately, as great as that sounds - it doesn't help with time. I get the odd couple of minutes here and there.... but I will check it out certainly in those few minutes I do get thank you for this.

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 By: Jim Street Member since: Sep 30, 2019