New member - website feedback please?

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Frank the Insurance guy, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Frank the Insurance guy

Frank the Insurance guy Full Member

520 164
    Hi all,

Would appreciate what other members think of my companies website: https://meadowbroking.co.uk/

Any constructive advice would be great.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: Frank the Insurance guy Member since: Oct 28, 2020
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Legend

3,969 1,666
    In your industry, the site doesn't need to be groundbreaking. What it does need to do is look professional. Look at the site on a mobile and tell me honestly if everything you see above the fold looks professional. Personally, I think the whole site is let down by the quality of the logo at the moment.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. itsnathanhere

itsnathanhere Full Member

126 34
    Hi Frank,
    to be frank - no pun intended :rolleyes: - I think the site is coming across as quite dated and 'busy'. The colours are a bit too intense for me and the shapes are distracting. A minimal design with more white space would probably do you some favours. An example would be how the logo is currently in it's own rectangle in the header - it would look much more clean to have a white header and the logo within it, without any outline.

From a user experience perspective, having each department's email address listed in plain text doesn't look very professional. I'd end the page with an embedded contact form so as to minimise friction if a user is thinking of contacting you. You just need to reply from the right email address and then they'll know they're through to the right department.

Checking your site out on GTMetrix shows quite a lot of external HTTP requests - are you using quite a lot of Wordpress Plugins?

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: itsnathanhere Member since: Nov 7, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Frank the Insurance guy

520 164
    Thanks @AllUpHere .

Sorry I don't know what you mean by "above the fold"? Where am I looking?

5. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen Verified Business ✔️

473 160
    Is this a new site? Has it been designed for mobile, where a lot of visitors may come from? Who's produced the content and the customer journeys, have you seen what the competition do?

A brief 2-3minute look reveals these issues:
    • It really poorly laid out on all devices
    • It looks really dated and unprofessional (small lo-res images, different shaped sections/buttons everywhere, mainly one colour)
    • It has no proper CTAs (Calls To Action, with links rather than buttons, which don't work properly)
    • It says 'complete our simple quote form', but this is just a contact form, this will have a terrible conversion rate, as most customers want an online quote & will realise this won't give them one (I'm assuming you then ring or email them?)
    • It has fairly limited content on most pages
    • The mobile usability is terrible, you can't even see or use the menu on smaller mobiles, as the header info takes up the whole page above the fold (this means what's visible on the page without scrolling)!

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Legend

3,969 1,666
    Everything you see on the screen before you scroll down. Try it in landscape on a mobile and see what impression it gives.

7. Frank the Insurance guy

520 164
    Thanks @itsnathanhere - Will take all that on board and make some changes.

Is having plugins bad?

Thanks,
    Frank

8. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Legend

1,925 695
    Agree about the logo, a simple font-based title would look better really>

I always say if you site works OK with JavaScript blocked then you are on the right lines and yours does except the for the menu.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  9. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Legend

3,969 1,666
    How well established is the business Frank?

10. Frank the Insurance guy

520 164
    OUCH....that hurt...lol!....

To be fair, that's one of the reason's I've joined here - so I can get advice and learn new things. so really appreciate that.

I'm a great Insurance Broker, but not a great web-designer! Budget is tight (ie. none) so have done it myself.

Really appreciate the feedback everyone and will take a fresh look at it next week.

11. Frank the Insurance guy

520 164
    Still getting established - just finished first month.

12. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,614 5,045
    Apart from everything being green and the six points Paul has outlined - the copy needs reworking. For starters, you use the words 'us' and 'we' and 'our' about three times as often as 'you' and 'your'. That should be the other way about!

The customer is not interested in you and how wonderful you are and how motivated Mavis in accounts is and how whizz-bang you do things. They are ONLY interested in themselves and what you can do for them!

As Paul says, the call-to-action is missing! "Call us this month only and get a free PDF book on how to save money on insurance cover!" Something, anything that is imperative to action!

Most importantly - why?

Why should I call you? Why you? Why not one of the thousands of other guys in the insurance market? Why should I call you and why should I do that now?

Also, the copy is far too short! Yes, I know many people say one should keep things short, sharp and to the point! Well, trust me - they are wrong! Insurance is expensive and getting coverage wrong can cripple a business when the balloon goes up. If it takes one thousand words to explain an important aspect of insurance, use one thousand words! Long copy that is also interesting to read sells!

Read 'Ogilvy on Advertising'. It's the bible on how to write copy and present yourself.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Frank the Insurance guy

520 164
    Thanks @The Byre - completely get all that.

Always assumed the less there is to read, the better. I'm learning!

14. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,614 5,045
    Put it this way - the C19 mess has cost many businesses their existence. Most were not insured against anything like this (inc. our good selves I hasten to add!)

Telling the story of how a business can be forced into bankruptcy or even worse makes for interesting copy. For a business not wanting to fail, it's a real 'page-turner' and makes for more interesting reading than even a Perry Mason novel from Earl Stanley Gardener like 'The Case of the Restless Redhead!'

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  15. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,013 10,695
    Took forever to load on my phone. Then all I saw was the cookie thing. Then a picture of some metalworks.

I then saw you are an insurance advisor. I don’t want advice I want insurance.

Horrible green, too many boxes, dated looking and just ugh.

Did you build it yourself? Try using the site on your phone on a 4g network. google scores you 27/100. Elementor is one of the main culprits for this along with cheap and nasty godaddy hosting in the USA

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Opinion87

Opinion87 UKBF Legend

707 248
    Very slow for me, and the cookie thing too. Agree with the colour and dated looking also. Not a fan of the logo either, or the multiple phone numbers.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: Opinion87 Member since: Jul 1, 2015