New Employee off sick for two weeks in first month of employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nichs

Free Member
May 3, 2018
The final straw came when she has been off again for the past two days, yesterday she did not ring in until 2.30pm saying she slept through and must be because she did not get any sleep night before as she was in agony.. I find this highly unbelievable to sleep through till this time.

Upvote 0

AWA Training

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
I've worked in logistics where if people didn't work, they didn't get paid. If off sick, that's fine, but expect no money for it. Absentee levels dropped right off.
I think its a tough one isn't it, is it genuine or lack of desire to come in. New employee? Where were they before?

Upvote 0
The final straw came when she has been off again for the past two days, yesterday she did not ring in until 2.30pm saying she slept through and must be because she did not get any sleep night before as she was in agony.. I find this highly unbelievable to sleep through till this time.

Not that I am defending this person, but I have a friend with ME, and she can't function until around that time of day either. Luckily she works for herself, so has made many adjustments, she works from 2pm to 11pm, and has staff cover mornings most of the time.

So I am with you in that she sounds difficult to have working for you, but if she genuinely has a chronic pain problem, then not being functional until 2pm wouldn't be that unusual.

Upvote 0

Chi Doan

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Is it possible to work remotely?
I think 2 weeks in hopital, but we often get cover 90% just after couple days, so in the other days, you can allow her to work remotely.

May be hard because she is new also.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
Not that I am defending this person, but I have a friend with ME, and she can't function until around that time of day either. Luckily she works for herself, so has made many adjustments, she works from 2pm to 11pm, and has staff cover mornings most of the time.

So I am with you in that she sounds difficult to have working for you, but if she genuinely has a chronic pain problem, then not being functional until 2pm wouldn't be that unusual.

Yes its hard for those even with some functionality as your friend has.
A friend had it for years and eventually got himself a job where he could work a few hours here and there once he was functional.

OP, this employee sounds like someone that you don't need in your workplace. And I say this as someone who has been off long term sick from a job.
They will be accruing holiday pay you have to pay as well. How much do you want to pay out?

Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle
Foir heavens sake. You have an HR department and they have had legal advicec. You would rather rely on advice from a bunch of complete strangers whose knowledge of employment law is undetermined.

Having ranted that bit, I disagree with your legal advice. You cannot dismiss because of the disability but you can dismiss if the disability is so severe that the employee cannot fulfill their role even with reasonable adjustments.

Reactions: ethical PR
Upvote 0
Foir heavens sake. You have an HR department and they have had legal advicec. You would rather rely on advice from a bunch of complete strangers whose knowledge of employment law is undetermined.

Having ranted that bit, I disagree with your legal advice. You cannot dismiss because of the disability but you can dismiss if the disability is so severe that the employee cannot fulfill their role even with reasonable adjustments.
I agree. The OP has offered reasonable adjustments but the person in question has not taken them. Definitely being taken for granted I think!

Upvote 0

DocsWizard

Free Member
May 10, 2018
I appreciate that this can be very frustrating. I hope you get a result soon.

If you have an HR Department and don't want to fall out with them or get yourself in trouble, you need to let them guide you. They will have policy or precedent to refer to that you may not be aware of and will be able to help with getting medical input if needed to confirm disability. They will be focusing on the risk you might be taking if you decide to dismiss before you have a solid understanding of the health situation. HR departments can sometimes be risk averse as they know the time and cost involved when it goes wrong, but just make sure you are explaining the impact.

They will probably wish to set up a paper trail to ensure they can demonstrate that reasonable steps have been taken and to ensure that they mitigate any risks of a discrimination claim if you do decide to dismiss.

You absolutely can dismiss for ill health. It is even possible to dismiss someone who is disabled. BUT you can't dismiss someone who is disabled just because they are disabled.

Reactions: Nichs
Upvote 0
I scanned this thread.

If the employee can't be bothered calling in = bad sign number 1.
If they throw in another excuse on top of being ill (being burgled) = very bad sign number 2.
If they come in 2.5 days in a month = ha ha ha.

You get Homer Simpsons who have lots of problems and who generate a lot of sympathy and use up a lot of time and emotional energy, and then you have the Good Mouse who works hard, doesn't take time off sick and who people barely notice.

A small company can't afford even one Homer Simpson, really. Not financially or any other way. Let them go, politely, and find work with a larger, richer entity that has turned in on itself to create an internal culture of laxity, which can support such expensive dilettantes.

Reactions: The Byre
Upvote 0

The Byre

Legacy Full Member
Aug 13, 2013
No company can afford even one Homer Simpson, really. Not financially or any other way. Let them go, politely, and find work with a larger, richer entity that is doomed to failure and has turned in on itself to create an internal culture of laxity, which can support such expensive dilettantes.
Fixed that for ya!:D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu