Late Night Alcohol Delivery

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by thespring, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thespring

thespring UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Have been running a pub for 6 months and am looking into offering a late night alcohol delivery service within my local town. I already have the premises license and personal liscence and after working out some figures it has the potential to be very profitable. The town im in has a population of about 100,000 with about 10000 students who would be the main target market. I'm digging for ideas on how best to market the service to students/18-30 yearolds, thanks matt

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: thespring Member since: May 16, 2011
  2. SneakSMS

SneakSMS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,037 163
    Best way is going to be to get a student to distribute a load of flyers around the student halls for you, I'd have thought

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: SneakSMS Member since: May 23, 2009
  3. red-source

red-source UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

512 72
    posters in your pub... surely most of them are in there every night :)

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: red-source Member since: May 16, 2009
  4. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

1,431 281
    Probably easier & a lot cheaper for them to go Tesco 24hrs! I know someone who tried this and fell flat after no time at all, sorry;)

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  5. sysops

sysops UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,923 887
    But you could say the same about any home-delivered food. The fact is people like to have stuff delivered to their home, especially when they are drunk!

I think it's a good idea, that you could trial at very low cost. Well worth a shot.

As for advertising, leaflets will work well for this if you target them right.

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  6. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,802 2,121
    Presumably you have got an off-licence condition in your premises Licence, and it covers the delivery hours you want? Also I presume you have contacted your vehicle insurance company to ensure that it will cover the delivery of alcohol, and I assume you have also talked to your business liability insurance to include cover for staff as they deliver bottles and cans etc to drunks.
    Oh and also the Police agree and are happy????

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  7. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    There was a company here that did this..they only had a mobile number on the advert though and after a couple of months they disappeared off the face of the earth.

I think there is a problem with getting Proof of Identity and delivering to under age limit etc.

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  8. sysops

2,923 887
    Why is this more problematic when delivering to someone's house than when selling over the counter?

9. sarah@opace

[email protected] UKBF Contributor Free Member

48 11
    I would use this service, you can't always get out to a tesco, so ideal if it could come to you, maybe if you had a website and a register to help with the orders it woud cover you legally on age restrictions etc, also yuo can tie in facebook and twitter and get good coverage
    good luck, have one for me ;)

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: [email protected] Member since: Dec 8, 2010
  10. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,802 2,121
    When delivering to a house or flat, what do you do when an underage person opens the door? Even if they say, its OK my dad ordered the booze, you are still running the risk that the dad ordered the booze for consumption of the underage person.

What if there is a party going on there and the kids want re-supply? Would you really refuse to hand over the booze to a bunch of drunk kids, who presumably have already paid for it in advance???

In an off-licence, it is your premises. You are more in control. It is much easier to ask for proof of age, and much easier to refuse to supply.

I am not saying its a bad business idea, just that is is likely to be more problematic that at first assumed. There is a gap in the market for a reason.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
    Posted: May 16, 2011 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  11. sysops

2,923 887
    You ask to see their dad?

Isn't this the same as if this underage person came into your shop and said they were buying booze for their dad? I don't get the distinction.

It's really no different from drunk kids coming into your off-licence.

I don't see it as the big problem you do. Maybe I'm wrong.

12. TotallySport

TotallySport UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,955 1,028
    The only problem i see is the selling price, even a drunk student knows a can of larger in a pub is alot more than their local offy, adding on delivery charges, people messing about etc, I would think the costings couldn't allow for the sale price, but I agree it would be a small outlay to test the water. You will also have to worry about security, yu'll be an easy target at that time of night.

Good luck though.

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  13. mollymalone

mollymalone UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    I had this idea a while back. After thinking it over, I was put off by the thought of staff carrying money and booze maybe being a target. Also the underage thing seemed to be difficult. There were also local areas where I wouldn't send any member of staff.

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: mollymalone Member since: May 12, 2011
  14. thespring

5 0
    I can sell alcohol off site outside of the pubs on license hours. Sure, insurance needs to be looked at. The driver will ring the person who ordered on arrival who will come out to the van alone, all stock will be sorted in the van and the staff will never leave the vehicle to limit potential risks involved with delivering booze to drunks. Why do i have to check with police, my license allows it???.

and i dont see the problem with i.d ing, there are about 50 websites in various towns/cities doing it.

I have been buying alcohol from supermarkets for my pub because with some of the offers they do it's half the price of wholesalers (i run a freehouse). The prices i charge would be no more than local convienience stores and would include free delivery e.g 12 cans carling, £6 on special at tescos, charge £12 free delivery, 50% gross profit, spirits about 30% gross, averaging 40% gross profit. Fill van up, 25 deliveries averaging £25, £600 in sales, about £250 gross - fuel £10-wages £80-insurance max £20 = £140 net profit per night for a fairly small operation and 25 orders out of 100,000 people is only a niche market

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  15. shadesofblue

shadesofblue UKBF Newcomer Free Member

348 114
    Tescos seem to manage fine when delivering shopping so it shouldn't be a problem

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: shadesofblue Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  16. 5wire

5wire UKBF Newcomer Free Member

94 13
    If you can compete with the supermarkets, or near to for a feasible delivery cost then I think it would be a great idea.

May use a low cost number, or free number such as 0800 and even have an online checkout service.

A girl I know who lives in Lincoln uses a service exactly like that and its brilliant, its open till late and delivery does not take long at all. If I get time I'll try and get hold of her and PM you a link.

In terms of marketing it, a student and leaflet passing outside the student union, maybe an incentive such as discount on the first order, or an order over X value.

Also, remember the majority of students are only at university between September - June, and usually January, May and June time is exam season. It is probably worth remembering that a lot of universities have 3-4weeks off for Christmas, and 3-4weeks for Easter so maybe there will be six/seven months of good trade which you may have to make up for the weakness over the summer, or look to market at the locals.

I'm a student personally and I'd use a service that delivers to my house, if it was as competitively priced and chilled like in a supermarket or local convenience shop :).

Hope this helps.

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: 5wire Member since: Jul 14, 2010
  17. thespring

5 0
    the price would be about the same as convienience stores but with free delivery till 4am, e.g 12 cans stella £14.

A refridgerated van would increase the costs considerably but really would be needed, no good drinking warm beer, something to think about.

i understand the limited time periods students are here and yes i would need to target other markets aswell. The good thing is my pub is in a village on the outskirts of the town but close to a secluded student village with 1500 people with only a onsite shop that closes at 10pm and doesn't have much choice, but as said they all leave by end of may.

18. shadesofblue

shadesofblue UKBF Newcomer Free Member

348 114
    Don't bother with a refridgerated van you're not exactly dealing with CAMRA members! It'll just push the costs up and if they went to fetch it they wouldn't bring it home in a chilled van would they.

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: shadesofblue Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  19. Whambamsam

Whambamsam UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    When I took My Personal Licence course (which was conveniently run by an ex-copper) I asked about the whole booze delivery thing, and found that it can be done, but there are a few technical issues one of which was that you cannot have a van full of booze doing the rounds. your booze must all be kept at a designated premises until it is ordered.

This creates a problem because those who have order cannot increase the order once it has left your 'depot'

I though on way round this is to charge a Flat Rate callout charge (Say £10) and sell the alcohol at whatever margin is necessary, that way you always make your £10, and people will generally make a point of getting everything on one order.

Posted: May 16, 2011 By: Whambamsam Member since: May 16, 2011
  20. sysops

2,923 887
    But how is this a problem?

When you order pizza, you don't expect to be able to say to the delivery guy "oh, can I have an extra garlic bread please?".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.