Job title change

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Leia W, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Leia W

Leia W UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    Hi all
    Would appreciate any professional advice you could give me.
    Around 2 years ago I was put into a higher pay grade after submitting to my manager and HR a list of all the extra responsibilities I had taken on over the years. At the same time my job title was changed to Manager.
    A few days ago my boss called me and said "somebody" had pointed out that this didn't fit with the job I was doing and really it should be Team Leader. Everything else would remain the same in terms of pay and benefits but my title would change.
    I was taken aback by this as the Team Leader title implies a less responsible role. All I got as explanation was a 2 paragraph job description for both roles and there was 1 aspect about negotiating terms with suppliers that didn't fit but also a lot more I do that isn't listed in either role.
    I can't imagine this has come from my boss as he's sideways been pleased with my work and he is sensitive enough to know how demoralising this would be for me, especially after converting for furlough etc. If it had been spotted by HR for any reason I don't see why he wouldn't have explained that. Also, I don't imagine they would know exactly what my job entails to question it. In any case, it's just a title to anyone but me so I don't think they would worry. So I have to assume there is an ulterior motive or that somebody else within the organisation has objected (there's a bit of toxicity).
    I have asked for full job descriptions to compare so I can challenge this but in the meantime how far can I push to get answers as to why this is happening (if, as I suspect, it stems from a colleague with a grudge) as I am so demoralised they would do this and my instinct was to hand in my notice.
    Thank you in advance.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 By: Leia W Member since: Jul 7, 2021
  2. IanSuth

IanSuth Contributor

438 127
    I don't want to scare you but has there been any talk of having to lose staff ? You don't make people redundant you make jobs redundant and so sometimes getting everyone's job titles spot on is a forerunner to a round of redundancies.

If that is going to be the case I would ensure that you have a full and complete documented current job description with what you do in it and not irrelevant things

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 By: IanSuth Member since: Apr 1, 2021
  3. Leia W

Leia W UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    Thanks for replying Ian.
    There's been no talk of redundancies. In fact we've had a bumper year and I have been asked to recruit for one of my team retiring soon.
    I would say relocation could be a possibility as our team is split over multiple sites but the fact I was asked to start the recruitment process would lead me to believe that's not the case.
    Sound advice about the list of responsibilities. I'll make sure I keep that up to date.
    Thanks again

4. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    The one question I would ask you first has to be, was there already a manager’s role within the business or was this created specifically for you at the time.

If so, was it created by your immediate boss with or without consultation with the HR department or a Director?

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  5. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    Interesting that you just used the word "team"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Leia W

Leia W UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    Hi WaveJumper
    Thanks for getting back to me. The specific role didn't exist previously. I felt I was due something more as I have worked at the company for 13 years and in various roles, always taking on more responsibility. My manager, together with HR, asked me to do an outline of the job almost as if writing my own job description. They then went away and discussed it and submitted the proposal to the General Manager who signed it off and the new contract was issued with the title of manager (as decided by them according to the job grade they thought I was due). So, apart from listing everything I do, it was all down to HR and senior management. Thoughts?

7. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    I think as mentioned above ask to see the two full job descriptions of both roles, so you have a better understanding of the differences. If the Team Leader job description does cover what you are actually doing, then it’s the time to sit down and discuss this with your manager.

It the Team Leader role does not cover all that you’re doing now, is this an issue as long as you’re still receiving the same salary i.e. just cut out the things not covered on the new JD.

Possible reasons for this could be another senior person has queried the structure in the company and as such HR are revising. Also again as already mentioned this restructure could be a precursor to further (big) internal changes and redundancies. So suggest you tread carefully but maybe management are doing you a favour as Team Leaders are not on the hit list.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Leia W

Leia W UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    Thank you. That's very sensible advice which I am happy to take.

9. BustersDogs

BustersDogs Contributor

1,436 281
    Just want to mention that years ago, I negotiated a payrise at my company based on the work I was doing, as well as length of service and how I was expected to train new staff. I was told they were not able to give it to me without a 'promotion' so I was given a new job title to justify the rise.

I've also been in a job where a company bought out another one, and kept the team intact (initially at least). When they recruited me, I was given job title based on the original business, but after about a year this was brought in line with the rest of the company (also came with a payrise negotiated by my manager as she pushed that what I did was part of a higher paygrade than I had started on, she was fab!)

Both of them happened before a round of redundancies.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    And speaking from experience having the title 'Senior Manager" or "General Manager" found me out the door first :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1