Importing help

Discussion in 'International Business' started by The Printed Bag Shop, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Printed Bag Shop

The Printed Bag Shop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,175 64
    Can anyone help me? Im looking at importing a small shipment of printed bags from india but im unsure how i go about importing as the company that would supply me only ships to felixstow. What i want to know is when they arrive at felixstow what do i need to do next? Do i need to get customes clearence and if so how much does it cost and how do i do it? then once through customs do i just request a courier to collect them and deliver them to me?

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 By: The Printed Bag Shop Member since: Mar 13, 2007
  2. YoungMoneyChina

YoungMoneyChina UKBF Newcomer Free Member

156 31
    Hi,

If you do not have an agent as such then when the items arrive at the airport or port a shipping company will contact you and offer to both clear the items through customs and deliver the items to you. You will have to pay them import duty and vat owed on the shipment and then the delivery on top. hope that helps.

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 By: YoungMoneyChina Member since: Oct 7, 2007
  3. i234i

i234i UKBF Ace Free Member

2,284 242
    is there a way to work out or get an idea of Import duty and Delivery costs in advance?

Or would a agent be able to do this if sorted in advance!

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 By: i234i Member since: Jul 16, 2007
  4. FluxServices

FluxServices UKBF Newcomer Free Member

411 50

Hi,

I have helped some of my clients import stuff from over countries and I can help you.

I need the following information from you and I will be able to tell you the price it will cost to get your things to felixstow and then deliverd up to you.

Dimentions (Width, Length & Height) in cms
    Number of pieces
    Weight in Kg..

Once you have got this information can you forward me an email to [email protected] .. When I have this information I will be able to give you the price the same day.

I will also need a contact name and number for the supplier so I can sort out when the shipment will be in felixstow.

Cheers

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 By: FluxServices Member since: Dec 28, 2008
  5. The Printed Bag Shop

The Printed Bag Shop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,175 64
    Cheers for the answers.

Anyone else out there that can do this?

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 By: The Printed Bag Shop Member since: Mar 13, 2007
  6. wallabyhouse

wallabyhouse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Make sure your supplier sends you copies of the commercial Invoice,bill of lading and any other paperwork related to the shipment.I had to forward all of this onto the agent at port.
    I was quite shocked at how high port charges were-hope you don't have a similar sock....

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 By: wallabyhouse Member since: Jan 20, 2009
  7. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,488 581
    1. Have you read the business link site which refers to importation guidelines? If so, well worth a read, you can read it here.
    2. Find yourself your own freight forwarder, preferably a smaller one who will hold your hand throughout the process. may cost you a little more but it will be money well spent. (Try and find a local one to you.)
    3. Not sure what terms that you're importing on, but all of that baloney about only shipping to Felixstowe does not ring true. Get your forwarder on the case and you should be able to get a vessel which docks closer to where you live, so saving on UK haulage charges.

Hope that this helps.

Mister B

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  8. Wavecrest Ltd

Wavecrest Ltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

739 137
    Hi - I have been running a shipping and forwarding company in Gravesend. Kent called Wavecrest Ltd since 1994.

We get contacted by lots of clients new to importing who have been shocked by the high level of UK costs on their shipments arriving from India, China etc.

The problem is that the suppliers in India, China etc are being offered ridiculously low shipping costs or even paid commission to book their freight with certain unscrupulous shipping companies. The unsuspecting buyer in the UK then gets hit with a hefty bill for handling, customs clearance etc once the goods arrive.

My advice would be to ask your supplier in India, China etc to offer an FOB price rather than a price including shipping to the UK.

You are then free to make your own shipping arrangements and more importantly have control over the total costs rather than receiving a nasty surprise!

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 By: Wavecrest Ltd Member since: Oct 31, 2007
  9. FluxServices

FluxServices UKBF Newcomer Free Member

411 50
    I have to agree with Wavecrest Ltd on this one. I am helping a client of mine with a shipment from china which is arriving in the UK on Sunday, I carnt give a quote untill he gets me a suppliers invoice, airway bill and then his term number.

Wavecrest Ltd I have sent you a PM.

:)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    Posted: Mar 6, 2009 By: FluxServices Member since: Dec 28, 2008
  10. JoeHe

JoeHe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 1
    I export products from China. If you delivery goods by courier, you can ask the exporter to make a small ammount on the commercial invoice while they send out products. And the duty you pay depend on the amount on the PI. Hope this will help.

Joe He--from China
    ----------------
    Sarine Perfections Bags Co., Ltd
    sourcing at bagcn dot info

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 By: JoeHe Member since: Jul 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.