Importing Electronics to South Africa

Discussion in 'International Business' started by saz_traders, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:48 PM.

1. saz_traders

saz_traders UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    Hi
    I am trying to import electronics Mobile phones and Computers electronics to South Africa, One of my batch of computer tablets is held by Johannesburg airport customs department asking for LOA Letter of authority from brand attorney because i am importing samsung and Huawei items.
    Can anybody help me how can i clear my items as i cannot arrange that letter from Manufacturer???

Kindly Advice if you can please?

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:48 PM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,086 1,057
    If your items are from an authorised seller then shouldn't be any problem getting proof from your supplier.
    If they are fake then expect to lose them.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 12:10 AM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. saz_traders

13 0
    Yes they are genuine and from a authorise dealer. But dealer is not providing this letter to me but they are def geniune.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 1:32 AM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,753 739
    The authorised dealer will be able to show that they are in fact genuine authorised sellers and that your product serial numbers are genuine.

The fact that you say they cannot provide this information should worry you.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 1:36 AM By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  5. saz_traders

13 0
    LOA basically is from brand itself. My supplier says they have not got any letter of authority.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 1:41 AM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  6. saz_traders

13 0
    Supplier written a letter to them mentioning about their company and items are geniune to SA customs but they still insist LOA.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 1:44 AM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  7. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

3,753 739
    1. Your supplier (if they are an authorized seller) will have a LOA from each company that is supplying them (Huawei, Samsung etc). (If they cannot get this letter, they are not an authorized dealer).

2. They should be able to supply an original copy of this letter to you.

3. You can prove that your invoice shows you are buying from this company.

4. You must prove that funds have been sent to this company.

5. The serial numbers of each product must be the same as on the invoice.

Ask your supplier the reason they cannot supply you with a LOA from their suppliers.

If your supplier is from China, they will not have authority to sell you brand new Samsung products.

Given all your comments above, it looks likely that your supplier may not be as genuine as they seem.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 2:41 AM By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  8. saz_traders

13 0
    Hi Thanks for all your help.
    Yes my supplier is from UK, and advertised as a authorised dealer but is not providing LOA.
    I have asked the reason and answer is just nothing. They say they export electronics but never heard about LOA before. That is what they reply.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 8:51 PM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  9. Mr D

10,086 1,057
    Then you'd at least expect them to be used to having to prove supply chain, that they are an authorised supplier and that they have supplied these goods to you.

You have checked with the brands that this UK company is an authorised seller?

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:02 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. saz_traders

13 0
    No i have not checked and no idea how to check that? Although they advertise they are authorise and export items. That is how i believed them.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:29 PM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  11. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,284 8,627
    They are probably not an authorised dealer, the items may well be fakes and if they are legit exporters they will know what a LOA is.

Everything about this looks dodgy.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:33 PM By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. saz_traders

13 0
    Thanks a lot for your help. Goods are not fake and company turn over is in millions, any body help me if they have dealt with SA customs before. SA customs have some how their rules not understandable some time.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  13. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,683 1,949
    The UK supplier only has a licence to sell the product in the UK and maybe the EU they most likely dont have a licence to sell to South Africa and the manufacturer may well have or plan to have another licenced wholeseller there themselves
    They will be treated as illegal grey imports and most likely destroyed

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 10:17 PM By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  14. saz_traders

13 0
    This supplier already export to SA that is what they informed me before we made final our deal. This deal was made on the same basis where he was suppose to help in exporting Goods to SA. I understand you are right.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 10:35 PM By: saz_traders Member since: Sep 11, 2018
  15. Mr D

10,086 1,057
    They may have lied.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 10:58 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  16. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

3,753 739
    What does their website claim?

Call the brand owners and ask them if they are licensed resellers and also if your product serial numbers are correct.

The above will shed light on whether the goods are legitimate and whether you will be authorised to sell them in SA.

It may be that your supplier can sell in UK but not allowed to sell on to another country, as this may have consequences to the brand’s authorised network in those countries.

In the meantime, ask your supplier for ‘sanitised’ Invoices to show that the goods they bought and sold to you are legitimate.

You may need a so,icitor to act for you, as this will need to be certified.

If they are legitimate products, but you are not allowed to sell them in SA, then request a refund from your supplier and have the goods returned to them (at your cost), explaining to them your full problem.

A brand owner will protect an Authorised Seller and will not want any person getting hold of their (new) products and selling anywhere at any prices. You must be authorised by the brand’s agents in that country.

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 12:24 AM By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  17. J Ali

J Ali UKBF Contributor Full Member

46 0
    Who is the supplier? Currys????

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 9:14 AM By: J Ali Member since: Sep 12, 2018