Import Export

Discussion in 'International Business' started by kristina, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristina

kristina UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    Hi there

I am trying to figure out how to import clothes from India/China to UK or any other EU country, really. More precisely I would like to add my goods to some larger importer's load, not import myself, if this is at all possible. I don't think I would have the volume needed and definitely not the knowledge, to do it on my own, for a start.

Alternatively, maybe an import agent could help me out?

Does anybody know how this is best done, please?

Thank you!

Kristina.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 By: kristina Member since: Dec 29, 2009
  2. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,483 580
    In a nutshell, you've got no hope at all. If you're really lucky, you might find somebody who will allow you to piggy back their production, but you will pay for it and still have to buy a few hundred pieces.

You're probably better off using UK suppliers who will allow you to manufacture small runs with which you can test the market.

Mister B

Posted: Dec 30, 2009 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  3. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB UKBF Legend { Moderator }

5,912 846
    Kristina,

you are in a volume business (or very low volume, in the case of bespoke).

Mister B is right and, although your idea is simple in principle, there are so many variables that are working against you.

Posted: Dec 30, 2009 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  4. qul

qul UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

175 29
    I'm not sure about clothes, but can share my experience of amateur importing in case it helps:

I used to purchase small batches of mp3 players from China & sell them on the internet. I used the Ali Baba website to find suppliers. They also seem to have a clothes category. If you post a buying lead saying what you want, suppliers will contact you by email. I don't think this is how the pro's do it, but its a start at least.

In terms of importing, as they were small shipments, the supplier used a freight company/courier, who used an agent in this country. The agent dealt with customs etc, and I had to re-imburse the agent for import duty+vat that they paid on my behalf.

A couple of my friends have also used Ali Baba for small shipments of hookahs and prayer mats.

I'm not sure about profitability as the unit cost for small orders is relatively high, and shipping costs will also be relatively large, but once you contact the suppliers, you can see if its worthwile. (but Mr B is probably worth listening to)

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 By: qul Member since: Mar 17, 2009
  5. kristina

3 1
    Thanks guys, I did expect something like that. Must think it all through..

Good luck to you all! K

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 By: kristina Member since: Dec 29, 2009
  6. kristina

3 1
    And how about just using TNT? I know the cost would probably be high, but its a safe option...isn't it?

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 By: kristina Member since: Dec 29, 2009
  7. Jordie

Jordie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    You have two options to ship goods either by air or by sea. The later should be the cheapest but may depend on the size of the shipment you are importing. By air you can use courier companies like TNT, Fedex, DHL etc but if you importing a lot of stuff it could work out quite expensive. The other alternative is to use a freight forwarder here in the UK who can arrange collection and send the goods over including all the customs formalities.

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 By: Jordie Member since: Aug 31, 2009
  8. ESE

ESE Guest

16 2
    Hi Kristina
    First of all, I would like to wish you and all the UKF readers 'A Very Happy & Prosperous New Year!'
    We are a new Manchester(UK) based Wholesaling and Sourcing company with a branch in China (Shanghai). I understand it is not easy for anyone who is only looking for small volume to buy and ship from China.If you would like to pm me and give me more information of your requirements, perhaps I might be able to help you.

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 By: ESE Member since: Oct 2, 2009
  9. tonkata

tonkata UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    hi kristina

first u want to import any clothing or u have idea or sample that u want to produce.

anyways any piece willnot be with high price depend on what u want to produce

seconed about the shippment more than 100 pieces will be expensive to ship with tnt

ship with sea will be good but it take time

in the end i work in aready made garment factory in egypt so i know alot about this field.

u can ask any question if u want >good lk

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 By: tonkata Member since: Jan 1, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.