How to pitch a business proposal

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by cleaner1, Aug 14, 2019.

1. cleaner1

cleaner1 UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 3
    Help?

How do you approach a company/business with a business proposal?

Thank you in advance.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: cleaner1 Member since: Aug 12, 2014
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,593 8,983
    Pick up the phone and arrange a meeting

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,266 952
    Find the right person to speak to

Establish what problem you are solving / what the benefit to them is

Pick up the phone

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,606 1,719
    May be worth some time figuring out if the business proposal you have solves a problem of theirs.
    If not, why would they be interested?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. cleaner1

cleaner1 UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 3

I believe the proposal does point out what they need solving.

What I want to know is how do I approach them e.g do I post it to them or do I request to speak to them?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: cleaner1 Member since: Aug 12, 2014
  6. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,853 286
    I would send an email to the person I wanted to talk to in the first instance, and, if I was feeling really keen, I'd tell them that I was going to call at a particular time and then call them.

Do you know if the person you are targeting is particularly interested in the solution you have to offer?

If you they are then I might ask them how they think I should approach their company in order to get your solution considered.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  7. fisicx

30,593 8,983
    How much money is it going to save them? Or how much more business will it generate?

It’s all about the money.

You pick up the phone and you talk to them. Or embark on a marketing plan that introduces them to the product, shows them the savings and then you pick up the phone.

Until you give us a bit of a clue as to what you are selling all advice given here is just guessing.

8. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,490 760
    Two of the people responding said this key thing.

Pick up the phone.

It still wins. Just pick up the phone and talk to people. You can send them the proposal in advance, but you still need to pick up the phone, and get a conversation going.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  9. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Contributor Free Member

74 12
    As mentioned pick up the phone.

However, depending on the size of the companies you are targeting, you may be met with numerous gatekeepers who are reluctant to pass you through - This is where I find LinkedIn extremely useful. Connecting with the decision maker in question on there and dropping them an introduction message asking for a chat.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  10. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,834 951
    People don't like to be told where they or their business is going wrong.

You'll need to speak to the right person. That in itself is a huge barrier.

After getting the right person, you'll have to flatter them and impress them.

Be prepared, know your stuff and be likable.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  11. Mr D

15,606 1,719
    If someone contacts with a proposal what I want to know is how much money its going to make my business or how much time and effort its going to save.
    And bearing in mind you could be number 20 odd this week offering a solution to the same issue. And the 500th contacting the company trying to sell them something.

Had a pleasant chap on the phone trying to sell me on upgrading my mobile. Didn't get anywhere as his solution to a problem just costs me money, no benefit to me. I don't have the problem he's trying to solve with his offer of a new phone.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  12. fisicx

30,593 8,983
    And those savings need to be made without any pain. For example: If you use fluid A instead of Fluid B in your machines you will save £25,000 per year without having to drain or purge the machines.

But if you tell me I can save £25K per year if you stop production for 3 days while we install the new widget for Fluid B and then drain Fluid A into a tanker ready for disposal at £15K then I'm not going to be interested.

13. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    I think some posts are over- complicating / over-thinking

If you have the right person, the guts to pick up the phone and a compelling reason for them to speak/ meet with you, you then you are up and running.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  14. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

849 210
    And when you have found the right contact within the company.... AND you pick the phone up to speak to them.... PLEASE have a better ice breaker than 'How are you today?'

If anything gets my hackles up and puts me on the defensive, it's that line as the first shot of the rally, so as to speak! If I could find the business trainer that started suggesting that line, I would gladly beat him to death with a length of pipe lagging.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013
  15. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    Extreme. But valid, nonetheless

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  16. fisicx

30,593 8,983
    Had someone call me yesterday. Apparently I’d been chosen for a special offer. We went through the: how are you, are you busy, what the weather like and a whole bunch of inane questions which we both knew were pointless. And then she tried to sell me a photocopier contract. 5 minutes of waffle and 10 seconds to say no.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    Unfortunately this is often taught behaviour. I’m generally amenable to professional sales calls. My personal bete noir is taught lines that are supposed to trap or lure you into the ‘right’ answer

Just the other day someone rang to sell me advertising. I politely informed them that I’ve decided not to spend on advertising this year. Their response (delivered in a polished manner) was ‘can I ask why you’ve chosen not to promote your business?’

Rather than being rude, I took the opportunity to explain why those slippery lines are more likely to antagonise than to help

I’m pretty certain they weren’t thanking me under their breath.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  18. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

935 244
    Everyone has their own style of doing things, and no single way works 100% of the time.

I see sales very simply as offering a client something of value at a price they can afford, THEY have to see the value in what you are offering, and THEY have to feel it is worth buying at your price.

Where so many people go wrong, as in the phone example above is simply state an offer at a price, it might be a good deal for some, awful for others. Without knowing what your customers problems are you are always going to be struggling to sell anything.

I approached a guy yesterday, the owner of the business looking to sell a product I thought he would want, within a minute he had asked about a coolant product, which since he is into racing cars was of interest to him. He bought two cases without even asking the price on the spot, and is happy to talk about other products when I deliver his order.

Always look to solve a problem for your client.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  19. Mr D

15,606 1,719
    Good advice in sales.
    Sadly plenty are out simply to sell the product they have regardless of need and aren't willing to find out if the customer has a problem the product can resolve.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. TopSpek

TopSpek UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 3
    Aah, so that tough-looking exterior is just a facade! You're really just a sensitive little pussycat - like me! :D

I used to knock on doors. When I was approaching a low water mark in terms of the amount of work I had on, and with no money to spare for leaflets, I would be thinking more and more about going door-to-door. During the day before a door-knocking run, I'd think about it all day non-stop - absolutely dreading it.

Next morning, I would arrive on the corner of the first street of the industrial estate that I'd planned to attack. I would sit in my car for the first half hour trying to pluck up the "guts" to start knocking on those doors. Then, after drinking half a bucket-full of coffee, and smoking about two hundred fags, and snorting about 5 kilograms of coke, I would be ready. I'd jump out of my car, do a bit of shadow boxing, then, with chest puffed out and shoulders pulled back, I would stride up to the first factory unit looking like a man with a mission, but all the time expecting someone to shout at me to stop begging whilst being on the wrong end of a good stiff toe-end up my arse!

As you've probably gathered, it didn't turn out to be anything like I imagined (and I am of course joking about the snorting)! Apart from the odd grumpy receptionist, I would say well over 95% of the people I met were just lovely! I made a few friends. I got invited to BBQs. One thing is for sure, it beats the hell out of any of those fancy networking events! You can get immediate orders, and sometimes even cash deposits, by simply turning up on the doorsteps of industrial factory units or commercial offices and shops with a smile and a business card.

I never once came back from a door-knocking run without at least a couple of thousand dollar's worth of work under my belt. Typical duration of a door-to-door run - anything between 1 to 6 hours. But it wasn't only the work I scored immediately on the doorsteps, it was the spin-off work which followed in the weeks after - it would load me up for at least 6 weeks, and often for months.

Hope this provides some inspiration. :)

David

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Posted: Aug 15, 2019 By: TopSpek Member since: Jul 15, 2019