How to advertise After School Club

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Ali_SA, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Ali_SA

Ali_SA UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Yes, which is why we've now stopped advertising by leafleting outside schools.

A lot of the advice I've got is to advertise on the school newsletters or websites. The thing I don't understand is, when I call schools and ask to do this, one of the 2 following scenarios happen:

1. I'm told to send an e-mail in with my request, and when I do I never get any responses back.
    Or
    2. I'm told they either don't have any advertisements/newsletters, or if they do it's not for third parties (i.e. just for the school alone).

How can I find out what schools have newsletters and are willing to include my club in it?

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: Ali_SA Member since: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Ali_SA

You're right, I did get a lot of ideas for advertisement, and I tried them, but didn't get much.
    In all fairness, it could be that I've done them wrong.
    For example, leafleting houses, advertising on FB. Tried them all, spent a lot of money and didn't get much in return (got 2 responses from leafleting homes, and 0 from FB).

Which is why I'm here asking again.
    Maybe I'm approaching the schools in the wrong way? When I send in e-mail, I address the headteacher/Principle, as they're they have the highest authority in schools (I understand there also governors, but should I be contacting them?), but the issue is, I never get a response back.

3. Ali_SA

To be honest, I haven't tried going into schools much as I have a full-time job and it's difficult to find time to do that. However I have walked into 2 different schools, and both times I was given a piece of paper with an e-mail address written on it and was told to send them an e-mail, and when I did, there was no response back.

And the main reason I'm contacting schools is to go and provide a free demo/presentation, but the issue is not hearing back from the schools, or the schools completely ignoring my e-mails.

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

Its cheaper if you do it.

Information is nice, doesn't pay the telephone bill or the cleaning materials though.

Perhaps offer them a sign up fee for each student signing up? Get the school to sell you something.
    The school may well get dozens of people wanting free access to students a week.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

Yes you are. Schools get hundreds of offers every week. They already run a whole range of after school clubs any may not want another one.

It's not at all clear what you are offering. I'm assuming it's just you who will go to the school with all your equipment and and enhanced CRB and teach new skills for free. If that is the case you need to go to the school and offer your services. Anything else is pointless.

You might get an hour a week directly after the last period. Which means you would have to leave the university early to get to the school. Does your contract allow this?

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. CharlotteS

CharlotteS UKBF Contributor Full Member

What type of campaign did you run - website visits? Or clicks and likes (if either of the latter that will not help you).

Was your ad appealing and did it explain what you do?

Not an engaged audience - this is brand new school needing intake for next year - so not existing parents.

However coming away from ad channels - is the product right - are prices ok - are the parents in your area around to take their kids at the times you provide etc?

It sounds like a fab club btw!

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: CharlotteS Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  7. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

The difference is Charlotte every parent needs to send their child to school. As parents we have an interest in knowing what schools are available. We don't need to send them to an after school club.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  8. ethical PR

I am sorry you are having such a struggle. Schools will normally bite your hand off if you offer to pay for advertising so I am not sure why they are not open to this.

Have you also asked about taking a stall at school fairs and advertising in local parenting magazines/websites?

9. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

As teacher, I am a busy, busy bee.

I have books to mark, lessons to plan, data to enter, work to scrutinise, fights to stop, parents to placate ....

I get hundreds of unsolicited emails a week. Responding to yours won’t ease my workload, but may well increase it.

That’s why schools are not replying to your emails. To you, your offer is the most important thing in the world, to the schools and teachers, it’s not

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Mr D

Except the many thousands who don't send their kids to school because they are home schooled. Plus the kids who don't attend school because of being homeless or not wanting to go.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  11. ethical PR

Never miss a chance to be pedantic do you @Mr D .

About 30,000 children are home schooled each year.

8.2 million attend school.

By law every child has to attend school whether they are in temporary accommodation or not.

Again numbers who don't attend at all are small.

12. Ali_SA

Yes I could do that, that won't be an issue. ?I guess the only thing left to try is to physically visit schools to ask to speak to someone.

To be honest, today on my way to work I saw this school and thought I'd stop by and go in and see what they say. I did and asked to speak to the Principle/Head teacher. I was told she has a busy schedule with meetings and won't be able to see me. I asked to speak to the deputy and he as also busy. Asked to speak to the "Career" people and they said they're going to be busy today and just took my number and said they will call me when they can.
    So waiting to see if they do, and if they do I will let you guys know.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Ali_SA Member since: Aug 31, 2016
  13. Ali_SA

It was to visit website. Which is what I mentioned earlier to have been edgy, because for example if FB said 500 people clicked on it, on my website's traffic it would only show about 100 clicks.

Well our price is £15 a session (but we take the payment of 10 sessions in advance) and each session is 1.5 hours. This is because student's need to learn a particular set of skills to carry on in the course, so when we book a student in, we can't sell that space to another person after 3 weeks for example.
    However compare to other trainers, we're by far the cheapest. Other companies I've seen charge about £400 to £500 for a week (for example during half term, etc.)

I know the model we're following work, because students who come, first of all, they absolutely love it, and they keep on going and sign up for more sessions. And parents don't have an issue bringing them in (and tbh a lot of them come on their own as they're old enough to do so.)

14. Ali_SA

I have asked about school fairs, but it just goes into the whole topic of "e-mail" issue.
    They say "send us an e-mail with what you'd like to display, etc. and we'll get back to you when the next school fair is scheduled" and so on, but they never do.

As for magazines, I haven't tried it, but I did spend big money or websites, such as netmums. But tbh I didn't get a single response.

15. Ali_SA

So as a school teacher, what would you suggest to be the best method to approach schools?

16. Ali_SA

To be honest, I have to admit, home schooled children are a great audience to target. And I have done so by advertising on their FB groups and I've got good response from them.
    However, due to their very limited numbers, I can now see that I'm not getting any more interest from home schooled children any more. That's because those who were interested have already gotten in touch.

Also, not to mention that (regardless of targeting home schooled students or not) there are some issues which would make people not want to attend, such as living too far, not being able to afford the courses, the timings not matching what they already have planned and so far.
    So in case of the low number of home schooled children, the audience that would actually want to attend becomes even smaller.

17. Ali_SA

BTW everyone, I highly appreciate all the time and effort you're all putting in to help me out here, really appreciate it.

18. Mr D

I prefer the term 'accurate'.
    And wasn't talking about the ones in temporary accommodation. I was talking about the homeless. Pretty sure someone living in an abandoned warehouse is probably not concerned about breaking the law in not attending school. They are a small group, usually hard to find by the authorities.

And I did refer to the thousands who home school.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  19. ethical PR

NetMums is national so not relevant and their local forums don't have enough traffic to be useful. You need the very localised parenting/family magazine which also have a website and which are given away in schools, libraries etc.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  20. Mr D

Don't forget free local papers - presumably delivered to every home. The OP doesn't need to find the parents if a friend or relative sees an ad and mentions it to the parent.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017