How many still using a Fax machine?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by dingbat, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dingbat

dingbat UKBF Ace

991 138
    I sell goods and deal with suppliers but the last time I used the fax machine was for some personal stuff. That was over a year ago. The machine just sits there on a separate telephone number taking up space, collecting dust and waking up everytime some PPI spammer calls it. I simply keep it on the basis that I want to be taken seriously by other companies if they ever ask for a fax number.

Apart from solicitors does anyone even quote their fax number on their signature or business card anymore?

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 By: dingbat Member since: Nov 28, 2006
  2. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,521 3,142
    Posted: Apr 20, 2014 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  3. Luolou

Luolou UKBF Contributor

156 16
    We got rid of ours about 2 years ago....took the number off our business stationery when we did our next re-print. The cost of the carbon print rolls ( one line of print would cost a whole A4 sheet of the roll) was ridiculous. So pleased to see it go....

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 By: Luolou Member since: Mar 10, 2010
  4. dingbat

dingbat UKBF Ace

991 138
    Thanks. The VOIP tip is handy. I've heard of the technology but not really looked into it.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 By: dingbat Member since: Nov 28, 2006
  5. roydmoorian

roydmoorian Verified Business ✔️

1,984 349
    Still got ours but only use it occasionally (Laser plain paper version) comes though on one of the ISDN lines so wouldn't save anything getting rid of it.

Can't remember the last time I sent a loop of black paper back to a FAX spammer but used to do it a lot when the spam faxes were sent physically

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  6. David Griffiths

David Griffiths Verified Business ✔️

11,357 3,561
    We dumped the physical machine about 5 years ago and moved to electronic faxes with faxtastic. No charge for incoming faxes and a few pennies per page for outgoing. I paid a tenner up front a good few years ago but not a penny since - we've got enough credits to last for years. We get about ten a month coming in for wages sheets from three clients and zero per month going out

We took the fax number off business stationery a few years back as well

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  7. fairdealworld

fairdealworld UKBF Big Shot

443 182
    Got rid of mine last year. I'd reluctantly hung onto it as I still had a couple of customers who liked to fax orders, then one stopped trading and the other discovered that actually she could use a computer and started to email orders. This meant we only received spam on the fax machine.

I can't see that anyone takes a business less seriously because it hasn't got a fax number, in fact I think the tipping point has been reached where quoting a fax number may suggest the business is a bit behind the times.

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 By: fairdealworld Member since: Sep 17, 2011
  8. leemason

leemason UKBF Legend

3,605 527
    Haven't sent a fax for a couple of years now. I have an inbound fax number to e-mail number with voipon.co.uk.

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 By: leemason Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  9. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Legend

6,134 1,823
    We use Voipfone's service for incoming faxes. We keep a fax machine for occasional use, mainly because we bought a combined fax, printer and scanner a few years ago and it's not gone wrong yet.

Occasionally someone calls to say their emails have packed up, and we need to fax them. Which involves us faxing them an email. I like to think they're scanning it and running it through an OCR, but I doubt it.....

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  10. roydmoorian

roydmoorian Verified Business ✔️

1,984 349
    Ok, our business email signature includes a Fax Number and also a QR Code.

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  11. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend

5,997 1,017
    Havent had one one for about 10 years, normally borrow one but havent had to use one for so long. Can normally scan an email a doc. I thought there were rubbish even when they were popular.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  12. andygambles

andygambles Verified Business ✔️

2,629 689
    Lloyds can not accept email attachments so have had to fax them before but use a virtual fax machine.

Incoming we have a number which costs 50p per minute to call and emails us a PDF (non-revenue share). No problem receiving spam faxes on that :).

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 By: andygambles Member since: Jun 17, 2009
  13. HorseLatitudes

HorseLatitudes UKBF Enthusiast

248 79
    We use one occasionally for contracts that are in a rush to be set up.

Never seen it used for anything else and even then a scanner and printer could be used instead

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 By: HorseLatitudes Member since: Oct 21, 2013
  14. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline Full Member

13,636 2,588
    Havent had a fax machine for years and like David had been using Faxtastic but gave that up too about a year ago. Just never use it.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  15. noo81

noo81 UKBF Regular

239 44
    Got rid of my fax machine years ago. Probably used it twice in ten years. Fax is just outdated imo.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 By: noo81 Member since: Apr 8, 2013
  16. morespace

morespace UKBF Newcomer

38 4
    I don't advertise fax numbers for any of my businesses these days.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 By: morespace Member since: Apr 7, 2014
  17. CompuGlobal-Hyper-MegaNet

CompuGlobal-Hyper-MegaNet UKBF Contributor

169 11
    Not for years. We've toyed with the idea of getting rid of it as it takes up premium space and has its own dedicated line.
    One client occasionally uses it, but I'm sure he can be pushed to scan his documents and send them by email.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 By: CompuGlobal-Hyper-MegaNet Member since: Jun 12, 2013
  18. SBlundell

SBlundell Verified Business ✔️

752 185
    We're in the process of switching our dusty fax machine over to eFax - echoing many of the above we barely use it (and to be honest it's occasional use is usually laziness!)

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 By: SBlundell Member since: Aug 10, 2011
  19. ThePublisher

ThePublisher UKBF Legend

945 210
    Set up my business 9 years ago and never bothered with having a fax. Was occasionally asked for one in the early years, but I don't recall anybody mentioning faxing me something for at least 5 years. The last time we had any contact with a fax was when my husband received a contract offer when we were on holiday and the paperwork was faxed to the hotel we were staying at in Greece a couple of years ago.

30 years ago when I worked for a recruitment agency I recall typing CVs into the very limited memory of telex machines to send abroad. What a complete pain in the arse that was!

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 By: ThePublisher Member since: Mar 4, 2007
  20. RoyaleGraphics

RoyaleGraphics UKBF Contributor

134 15
    We still have one, but only because we have an all in one printer. Get the occasional fax, but mostly spam

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 By: RoyaleGraphics Member since: Jan 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.